Who is a resume expert here?

Just Jack

Might want to remove the part about being a TSW moderator...

Seriously, what to remove largely depends on who you're sending it to. I have a main four-page template, and three different ones, each with about a page overall redacted depending on the position it's intended for (engineer vs. team lead vs. data architect). So in the absence of any other guidance, that's probably a good place to start: remove the stuff that's not applicable to what you're applying to.

Remove/pare down/consolidate older stuff unless that is uniquely related to the job you are applying for and don't have more recent relevant experience.

Unless you are a rocket scientist (or Tom), under no circumstances should your resume exceed two pages.

I'm updating my resume and it's a little over two pages long, so obviously it should be trimmed down. Shoot me a PM with an email address if you can look it over and give me some advice on what to remove.

Not so much the case anymore..long resumes used to me being unstable..job hopper etc....that's just not the case anymore. Do a search on resume key words to make sure you have the words that matter on your resume.

Most important, depending on what kind of job you are looking for, make sure you use those same words in your linked in profile. Almost all recruiters and Recruiting Management systems now have ways to search"passive" candidates on linked in and Facebook. Way cheaper than using an agency or posting to a job board, and they get better candidates.

Not so much the case anymore..long resumes used to me being unstable..job hopper etc....that's just not the case anymore. Do a search on resume key words to make sure you have the words that matter on your resume.

Most important, depending on what kind of job you are looking for, make sure you use those same words in your linked in profile. Almost all recruiters and Recruiting Management systems now have ways to search"passive" candidates on linked in and Facebook. Way cheaper than using an agency or posting to a job board, and they get better candidates.

Agreed.. very good advice

Not so much the case anymore..long resumes used to me being unstable..job hopper etc....that's just not the case anymore.

Kinda my issue, I average about 5 years at a job, then either the company goes under, or someone I know tells me of something better (ie, more $$$). The job I have currently is my longest at 6.5 years.

Kinda my issue, I average about 5 years at a job, then either the company goes under, or someone I know tells me of something better (ie, more $$$). The job I have currently is my longest at 6.5 years.

you are considered a pretty loyal guy then in today's job market. I would not worry about that, I would be more worried about the wording grammar etc.

Also, make sure your linked in and Facebook are cleaned up as people will check them before an interview or even before they contact you

one other note on the resume..almost everyone does a backgroundb check now, and those things go pretty far back, and they will see discepencies between the two...never a good thing

Edited by plenzmd1