Bills vs Zebras

JinWPB

Or even worse, Gene Steratore...

Couldn't agree with you more, this guys is from my home town south of Pittsburgh, and believe me, he was reffing

powder puff football games on a 60 yard field just a few years ago, al the sudden wa la, he is an NFL ref, and a

head of his crew. His Dad and Brother were NFL refs, go figure! Not sure how he gets to ref for Steeler games, but

I have seen him do many. Nepotism is alive and well. His crew has already been involved in a number of screw ups

just this year, and his explanations post flag are more lengthy and confusing then any of the other refs that get to

speak. Sooner or later he will be exposed, not that anything will come of it.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't agree with you more, this guys is from my home town south of Pittsburgh, and believe me, he was reffing

powder puff football games on a 60 yard field just a few years ago, al the sudden wa la, he is an NFL ref, and a

head of his crew. His Dad and Brother were NFL refs, go figure! Not sure how he gets to ref for Steeler games, but

I have seen him do many. Nepotism is alive and well. His crew has already been involved in a number of screw ups

just this year, and his explanations post flag are more lengthy and confusing then any of the other refs that get to

speak. Sooner or later he will be exposed, not that anything will come of it.

was he the guy that officiated the pittsburgh -seattle super bowl? if there was ever a reason to believe in a "fix", that game sure would qualify.

was he the guy that officiated the pittsburgh -seattle super bowl? if there was ever a reason to believe in a "fix", that game sure would qualify.

That was Bill Leavy in the 2005 season. Steratore was promoted to Referee the following season after 2 Head Refs retired. He had only been a Linesman in the NFL since 2003 when he received his promotion.

He then went on to make a bunch of infamous calls. The most recent ones being the Calvin Johnson non-TD catch from last year. He and his crew have also had a number of controversial games, the one we'd be most familiar with is our game against the Bengals this year, which was chock full of non-holding calls, non-PI calls, and of course the Stevie Incomplete call.

Here's a good article on him: http://www.aolnews.com/2010/10/25/referee-gene-steratore-explains-ruling-in-dolphins-steelers-game/

Do you all really think that if the NFL favored big markets that LA would have gone all these years without a team? It would have been "just give it to them" many years ago.

I dont think the "conspiracy" is as clear cut as Big Market vs. Small Market. However, I do believe the NFL offices influence the ref crews on how to call games in favor of one team or another, to help story lines throughout the season. It would be naive to think that a Billion dollar company wouldn't try to control the outcomes just a bit.

I dont think the "conspiracy" is as clear cut as Big Market vs. Small Market. However, I do believe the NFL offices influence the ref crews on how to call games in favor of one team or another, to help story lines throughout the season. It would be naive to think that a Billion dollar company wouldn't try to control the outcomes just a bit.

Nah, to think that referees/umpires for major professional sports are anything but objective and ethically upstanding is absurd.

Just ask Tim Donaghy...

That was Bill Leavy in the 2005 season. Steratore was promoted to Referee the following season after 2 Head Refs retired. He had only been a Linesman in the NFL since 2003 when he received his promotion.

He then went on to make a bunch of infamous calls. The most recent ones being the Calvin Johnson non-TD catch from last year. He and his crew have also had a number of controversial games, the one we'd be most familiar with is our game against the Bengals this year, which was chock full of non-holding calls, non-PI calls, and of course the Stevie Incomplete call.

Here's a good article on him: http://www.aolnews.com/2010/10/25/referee-gene-steratore-explains-ruling-in-dolphins-steelers-game/

Come on! One of the is biggest story lines this year is the Bills are 5-2! And the Lions. And the Bengals. Your theory makes no sense at all--unles you are saying the league is instructing the refs to help out these three teams. I know you are not saying this, so how does this work?

Nah, to think that referees/umpires for major professional sports are anything but objective and ethically upstanding is absurd.

Just ask Tim Donaghy...

Tim Donaghy wasn't influencing games on behalf of the league, which is what we are discussing right now.

Here's a good article on him: http://www.aolnews.c...-steelers-game/

And that billion dollar company would be under a million dollar company if they were fixing games and the truth came out. You could kiss the NFL goodbye. You really think they'd risk that just to drum up some good story lines? REALLY?!?!?

[/b]

Come on! One of the is biggest story lines this year is the Bills are 5-2! And the Lions. And the Bengals. Your theory makes no sense at all--unles you are saying the league is instructing the refs to help out these three teams. I know you are not saying this, so how does this work?

Really? The Bills got ALL the calls in the Oakland and New England games. Outside of maybe a call or two. But they need to make it look honest.

And then we got hammered by the refs against the Bengals. Which have SINCE been the media darlings.

So the way this season has gone so far matches exactly to your examples.

Havent watched the Lions much so I wouldnt know about that one.

And that billion dollar company would be under a million dollar company if they were fixing games and the truth came out. You could kiss the NFL goodbye. You really think they'd risk that just to drum up some good story lines? REALLY?!?!?

Not fixing games, per se. Just "influencing" them. Much like the way the Pats were treated for most of the 2000s. Refs making up/changing rules on the spot in order to give them the game.

Really? The Bills got ALL the calls in the Oakland and New England games. Outside of maybe a call or two. But they need to make it look honest.

And then we got hammered by the refs against the Bengals. Which have SINCE been the media darlings.

So the way this season has gone so far matches exactly to your examples.

Havent watched the Lions much so I wouldnt know about that one.

Not fixing games, per se. Just "influencing" them. Much like the way the Pats were treated for most of the 2000s. Refs making up/changing rules on the spot in order to give them the game.

I'd still like to know when, where, and who attends these meetings where all this is decided and why no one has ever come forward?

What rules where changed/made up on the spot?

I'd still like to know when, where, and who attends these meetings where all this is decided and why no one has ever come forward?

What rules where changed/made up on the spot?

uhhh, the Tuck Rule? for starters. "Just give it to him"? Allowing NE CBs to interfere with Indy Wrs all game. All the roughing the passer calls that Tom Brady got by giving the refs mean looks... Have you not been watching football for the last decade?

And it doesnt have to be a dark, smokey room with a major conspiracy drawn out on the board. We all heard how the Commissioner steered Vick away from Buffalo and to Philly. That is crossing lines, imo.

To think it doesnt happen at all is as ridiculous as thinking there is a major plan. It's not like that. Doesnt have to be so black or white.

Yes, really. I am not saying they fix, but subtle manipulation,no doubt, and just who is going to expose, and then successfully

battle them in a lawsuit. You saw what happened when Arlen Spectre (congress) wanted an ivestigation of spygate, he was shut down almost

immediatley.You do remember that the NFL is a Monopoly, don't you? So there would have to be someone like an individual team that starts the

process of exposure, and is any team going to do that? The big city marquee matchups are what the protect and covet the most. For example

would the NFL benefit more form like say a GB/NE SB Matchup, or The Lions & the Bills? If you answer that truthfully, then I believe that

I will rest my case.

uhhh, the Tuck Rule? for starters. "Just give it to him"? Allowing NE CBs to interfere with Indy Wrs all game. All the roughing the passer calls that Tom Brady got by giving the refs mean looks... Have you not been watching football for the last decade?

And it doesnt have to be a dark, smokey room with a major conspiracy drawn out on the board. We all heard how the Commissioner steered Vick away from Buffalo and to Philly. That is crossing lines, imo.

To think it doesnt happen at all is as ridiculous as thinking there is a major plan. It's not like that. Doesnt have to be so black or white.

Explain to me how the tuck rule was made up or changed? It was a rule that was in the books the day it was called. "Just give it to them" was what some of the Bills players "heard" the ref say.

Everyone's whiney hatered of the Pat's success is pretty damn sad. You don't think the Bills had some calls go their way during the SB years? Remember Bebe going out of bounds and coming back in during the come back game? It happens with every team every game. You folks just like to point out the ones that go against us or for teams that we don't like. If you had two fans watching the same game in two different rooms one will most likely say their team got shafted by the refs. It's watching a game with your subjective glasses on.

Explain to me how the tuck rule was made up or changed? It was a rule that was in the books the day it was called. "Just give it to them" was what some of the Bills players "heard" the ref say.

Everyone's whiney hatered of the Pat's success is pretty damn sad. You don't think the Bills had some calls go their way during the SB years? Remember Bebe going out of bounds and coming back in during the come back game? It happens with every team every game. You folks just like to point out the ones that go against us or for teams that we don't like. If you had two fans watching the same game in two different rooms one will most likely say their team got shafted by the refs. It's watching a game with your subjective glasses on.

except i just said WE were given all the calls in the Oakland and New England game. But whatever.

So why did the league feel the need to have the calls go the Bills way in those two games? Or was that as you said to make it look honest?

Forget it Jim--the paranoia that rules here is suffocating. He's never going to explain to you how "it works", because even he knows there is no such "influencing" going on. Some other guy has already posted a thread anticipating the refs jobbing the Bills on Sunday.

These guys are whacked. Just watch and enjoy the crazy. Arguing with them is like a cat toying with a ball of string.