Pay that Man

aussiebills

I call BS on that. If the way Williams and Fitz have been extended isnt enough to show the rest of this team that the FO is willing to pay players, then there is nothing else they can do.

The only people that get "offended" by the way Jackson has been handled are Jackson, his agent, and his fans.

This team is paying guys. Buddy eluded in his post-Fitz interview that if the lockout hadnt happened, most of these contracts would be done by now.

The team is fine.

Disagree completely,... first off, I'm not sure who among us aren't "his fans". Secondly, he's in a strangely unique situation, because of his undrafted status and late start he was an Exclusive Rights free agent longer than most, in a position that is more age-driven than most. So we was caught in highly disadvantageous contract situations. He has every right to get paid and to be the next guy up. Any of us would find it overwhelmingly frustrating to be someone who's the best in the game to be getting paid among the least and to be at the stage in his career where he is... it needs to be addressed for the team to keep growing.

It took all the way to the 14th post for someone to bring up Chandler?

I'm with ya there, Trader.

EDIT: Chandler will not only set the TE TD mark, but I think he'll set the overall receiving TD mark for this franchise.

(I can't remember, but it is either 11 or 12)

Agreed with Chandler as well.

Side note: how awesome is it that for a team that was so devoid of talent just a few years ago, we can come up with a list of 11+ players that "need" to be extended/re-signed?!?

Go Bills!

Side note: how awesome is it that for a team that was so devoid of talent just a few years ago, we can come up with a list of 11+ players that "need" to be extended/re-signed?!?

Go Bills!

Yeah that does feel like something!!!

Disagree completely,... first off, I'm not sure who among us aren't "his fans". Secondly, he's in a strangely unique situation, because of his undrafted status and late start he was an Exclusive Rights free agent longer than most, in a position that is more age-driven than most. So we was caught in highly disadvantageous contract situations. He has every right to get paid and to be the next guy up. Any of us would find it overwhelmingly frustrating to be someone who's the best in the game to be getting paid among the least and to be at the stage in his career where he is... it needs to be addressed for the team to keep growing.

He does have the right to be the next one signed. And he is correct in being frustrated if he isnt.

BUT I disagree that it will effect other players negatively if they were to re-sign Stevie first. These guys understand the business. It's simple logic to say "Stevie is a FA after this season and therefore the timing makes him a higher priority. We got him re-signed today and will now move on to the next guy."

I doubt any player on the team (other than Fred) would take exception to that.

I agree with order, except I would put Stevie before Freddie, as Stevie is in his last year (I think). As for Freddie, even though he has 1 year left, i would renegotiate this year. I would lock in Wood and Levitre, before worrying about Bell and Pears. Bell is good, but I havve a feeling, his asking price will end up being too high, and some desperate team will pay him for it (like Jonas Jennings years back). Bell is too unreliable as a performer and injury wise to lock up in an expensive LT deal. Thoughts?

I agree with order, except I would put Stevie before Freddie, as Stevie is in his last year (I think). As for Freddie, even though he has 1 year left, i would renegotiate this year. I would lock in Wood and Levitre, before worrying about Bell and Pears. Bell is good, but I havve a feeling, his asking price will end up being too high, and some desperate team will pay him for it (like Jonas Jennings years back). Bell is too unreliable as a performer and injury wise to lock up in an expensive LT deal. Thoughts?

Agreed, I think a lot depends how much each player or his agent values themselves. Fitz signed for second term QB money and the only player who is playing at the top five at his position is Jackson. If Johnson or Bell are demanding top five money, I think they playing on different teams next year.

let's see if the old man is finally serious about having a great team. we've all watched him taken his cheap route, and it's working. but it's not going to last. if he doesn't buck up we're all going to be seeing these 'no name' undrafted guys scattered all over the league the next few years. when your playing well animosity doesn't last long. buck up buddy and ralph.

go bills.

Let's see how they do against division and conference teams and judge from there. The real season starts this coming Sunday.

Agreed, I think a lot depends how much each player or his agent values themselves. Fitz signed for second term QB money and the only player who is playing at the top five at his position is Jackson. If Johnson or Bell are demanding top five money, I think they playing on different teams next year.

Gailey is the star of this show. He could get a bunch of D3 players winning in this league. Sign him. We will not be paying up for the WR position. 7th rounders and Free Agents are doing just fine as long as Gailey is calling the plays and Fitz is executing them. Sign the lineman. And Jackson.

Go Bills!

Gailey is the star of this show. The route structures he is running are why Chandler is so open. The deception in his passing game is amazing. He has marginal talent guys looking like all pros. Amazing. But he's done it before. Fitz is the key.

I hope we can keep everyone, but I doubt we will spend enough to do so. Money talks, and we don't throw around money that freely. I expect we'll keep half the guys and the other half will find richer contracts elsewhere.

hmmm,... does anyone have a site that shows not just our current status against the salary cap, but committed salaries over the next couple years?

hmmm,... does anyone have a site that shows not just our current status against the salary cap, but committed salaries over the next couple years?

Please don't throw me in the "Ralph is cheap" crowd. We just spend shrewdly, which, in many cases is smart, and in some cases sucks for the fans. But like others have said, if we value someone at a certain point and a player values themselves at another point, our FO/Owner doesn't tend to simply fold over and pay what the player wants. We aren't the Redskins ;)

He does have the right to be the next one signed. And he is correct in being frustrated if he isnt.

BUT I disagree that it will effect other players negatively if they were to re-sign Stevie first. These guys understand the business. It's simple logic to say "Stevie is a FA after this season and therefore the timing makes him a higher priority. We got him re-signed today and will now move on to the next guy."

I doubt any player on the team (other than Fred) would take exception to that.

I agree. It's clear Fred Jackson is a cancer to this football team

Even with all this cap room we are not going to be able to resign everyone.....I think they will take a look at durability, age, and what it will take to sign.

MgGee.....playing well but constantly hurt....old....unless he comes extremely reasonable dont be suprised to see him gone

Bell.....played well when healthy....gets hurt every year......the combonation of Hairston suprising and what Bell will want on his contract will end up waiving goodbuy to Bell.

We need to keep the younger guys who are playing well and have the ability to get even better.

Bird

And by the way, McGee is playing really well since he's back

Byrd definitely deserves an extension. He is playing great and seems to get better each game. Other than a healthy Kyle Williams, he may be our best defensive player. I am not sure when his rookie contract is up, but he is at the top of my list for an extension.

I really hope they do something with Stevie soon. He is young and can run every route. Letting him walk and trying to replace him in the draft would be the equivalent of the "we don't need Greer but lets draft McKelvin" wheel-spinning we've seen at CB for so many years.