The Carson Palmer Debacle Begins

Hard to get on a guy who hasn't played ball in a year and is in a new offense. Didn't help that he came in when they were down by 21 and McFadden was out either. That being said, I don't like the trade. It will end badly which is great because they have some serious talent.

Actually, it's not that hard. He had his chances to play for the Bengals this year and refused. The team wasn't good last year but quite frankly he was a large part of the problem. There were quite a few games where the defense kept them in it but Palmer couldn't get the offense going or he gave up crucial turnovers.

That said, I am going to wait until he has had time to work with the offense and has McFadden back at full strength to judge his performance in Oakland.

Trade doesn't look very good at all tonight, but I can't blame the Raiders for trying to upgrade at QB. Jason Campbell is still trash, a chump and a loser... he most likely would've been gone this off-season even without the injury.

I live in DC. Campbell was not a great QB out here, but he was a pretty classy guy and he was on a miserable skins team that is in constant transition. He's done OK in Oakland.

Raiders fans should be pissed that Campbell's injury didn't happen a week later, i.e. after the trade deadline. It was a stupid trade no matter how you look at it. But I guess the good thing is that the Raiders won't have to give up a 2nd first rounder, because they ain't making the playoffs, much less winning a playoff game (the determining factor in going from a 2nd to a 1st).

Man, Doc, didn't think of that. That is a good point.

Palmer will get much better, but I still think it presents more of a problem for this team. Campbell was a good fit, progressing and at the right age and experience for that team.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

I live in DC. Campbell was not a great QB out here, but he was a pretty classy guy and he was on a miserable skins team that is in constant transition. He's done OK in Oakland.

Oh I don't mean he is trash as a person, just as a QB... not who you want there if you are serious about being good.

Oh I don't mean he is trash as a person, just as a QB... not who you want there if you are serious about being good.

Gotcha. Out of context. I agree. Palmer is not the one either. I feel like they made this trade in honor of Al Davis.

I agree, it was way too much to give up for Palmer, but they were desperate. As anyone could see yesterday, Boller is not the answer. They tried Garrard, but he was hurt. Some of his throws were off, but I'm not sure they were off because of him or the receivers. On a couple of outs, Palmer threw to the first down marker, but the receiver took the out deeper. On one interception the receiver stopped his in route and the ball went right to the Chiefs guy. He's rusty, but he'll improve. Neither of the West divisions are strong, so the Raiders still have a shot.

I agree, it was way too much to give up for Palmer, but they were desperate. As anyone could see yesterday, Boller is not the answer. They tried Garrard, but he was hurt. Some of his throws were off, but I'm not sure they were off because of him or the receivers. On a couple of outs, Palmer threw to the first down marker, but the receiver took the out deeper. On one interception the receiver stopped his in route and the ball went right to the Chiefs guy. He's rusty, but he'll improve. Neither of the West divisions are strong, so the Raiders still have a shot.

^this

He will look a lot better after getting in football shape and knowing the playbook. The west is wide open and they can still win it. Palmer has a chance to be much much better than Campbell

Doing something for the sake of doing something isn't always the correct thing to do. Sure they did something, but they're going to miss the playoffs AND be out their 2012 1st rounder and 2012 2nd rounder, and still need to find a QB for the future.

• 2 weeks later...