Fitz's 2 INT's were bad mechanics, awful

zow2

This is not to say, "I told you so", but I've long said that the enthusiasm for Fitz needs to be mitigated by the fact that he will lose you a few games because of turn overs. Some have compared him to Kurt Warner, and to be fair to Fitz's age, Kurt was 28 when he got his first starting job and ended up winning a superbowl. But there are big differences in their game. Arm strength and accuracy being the biggest.

While I agree that those two INTs were not bc of a lack of arm strength and were the result of bad mechanics, the truth is, a lot of Fitz's throws are bad "mechanically". He makes things happen bc Chan has designed an offense based on short, underneath throws with a lot of 4 WR sets so that the defense gets confused in coverage. Yes, the smoke and mirrors that every single CBS announcer talks about. One of the things that IS true about Fitz is that he is very smary and makes quick reads on opposing defenses. He can pick apart teams underneath if he has time, but he has NEVER had the arm for deep throws. And again, that's more about accuracy than it is about arm strength, but both should be taken into the equation. In fact, I bet you anything that the Bills dumped Evans in large part because they knew he was a one dimensional threat and Fitz wouldn't be able to connect on the deep ball.

Anyways, I like Fitzpatrick. Maybe he will continue to get better, maybe not. I don't think he's a long term solution at QB, but I do think he'll offer a few more moments of Fitz-magic before the season closes out and he will at the very least warrant long term consideration. BUT, as I've said all along, he is going to throw some really frustrating interceptions. He has his entire career. So buckle up.

The Bills lead the AFC in scoring.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard Belicheat describe Fitz as a "strong Arm" QB last year... It would surprise me if anyone tried to pin those two picks on arm stregnth. Guy had a bad game. Took bad sack had two understhrows and two over throws both to the sideline. Maybe the NYG field crown is different or he strguggles on the road... who knows.

Belicheat is a liar n a cheat! What he sais to the public doesn't hold much weight.

Fitz has terrible mechanics but he gets away with a lot because he is smarter and has an above average arm. The only qb with worse mechanics may be Tebow. They both have a huge wind up, the only difference is Tebow couldn't manage a lemonade stand and Fitz can manage a game very well.

above average for a 13 yr old. For an NFL QB this guy has a lot of trouble throwing long passes and out passes. He needs to get a running start and give it everything he has just to throw a 50 yard pass. An NFL QB should throw 50 yds with a flick of the wrist. That said--Fitzy gets the ball there usually --especially over the middle--and hits guys in stride--very important.AND...I think he is in the top 3rd of QBs in the league.

The 2 underthrows weren't due to lack of arm strength or mechanics. He just made bad passes. He was too careful with the throws.-Even throwing off the back foot---a QB should automatically make that adjustment and put more oomph into the throw. He just didn't get it done.--Still love Fitzy though---he's a good QB.

The thing is, you wouldn't advise him to, but he can easily make that throw off his back foot. He just misfired at a bad time. I don't think, as others do, that he does this regularly. In fact, this season he has made more clutch throws late than poor ones. He makes that completion easily at the end 90% of the time. On the back foot or setting his feet. This was just the one in ten that he missed. He blew the pass, simple as that. He also held the ball for three seconds three different times when he almost always gets rid of it, and it bit him in the ass. He had a bad game. Which really wasn't all that bad, except the one throw the team needed him to make and he didn't make it.

If he does it again this year I think I will be surprised. It's an easy throw.

heres where i think i disagree with a lot of the supporters - i think brady, manning, rodgers, brees, rivers, big ben, and probably a handful of other qbs (schaub, vick, matt ryan, flacco tier of guys) probably complete that throw (or equivalent) a little more often, and fitz misses by a mile slightly more often. not some blatant huge gap - but lets say 10-15 or so times over the course of a season. that unfortunately can end up meaning nothing, or costing a few wins. its why i think he can get to the playoffs, but dont think fitz can lead a team to a ring unless the d is an all time great. he hasnt had the highlight flubs like romo has - but part of me feels like its a result of not having the same spotlight on his mistakes. if romo threw that pass on sunday itd be in the news allllll week long and wed be on here laughing at those idiot cowboys.... fitz gets a pass.

Edited by NoSaint

To be clear, I don't think Fitz's arm strength is an issue. My point with that post was, THAT throw (the Youtube throw) doesn't prove a strong arm.

Agree with the above. As far as the other stuff (Disclaimer so no one gets the wrong idea, I love Fitz and think he's an above-average NFL starter)…

I would say Fitz has average arm strength for a starting NFL QB. It's not an issue for the most part.

I would add that although Eli is not by any means an elite QB or has the strongest arm in the league, I thought it was clear (especially on a windy day) that Manning's arm is quite a bit better than Fitz'. Manning threw a stronger and tighter ball. He threw a few beautiful deep passes.

As far as Fitz' mechanics go, I think he could get better in that department. Part of that is his well-trained ability to "get the ball out quickly." Sometimes he rushes his throws.

There are a very small handful of QBs who can occasionally let their mechanics break down and are still effective because of their natural ability… Favre and Marino come immediately to mind.

Fitz is not one of those guys who can let his mechanics get sloppy, IMO.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

The Bills lead the AFC in scoring.

Not sure what that had to do with what I was saying. They also lead the league in the takeaways. Which doesn't take anything away from Fitz (and that isn't what I'm trying to do), but does point out that their defense has given them tremendous field position throughout the season. Link