Dwan Edwards

Does anyone else notice this. He has done absolutely nothing this year. I know he's a "run stopper" but he can't even do that. He gets no pressure and never makes a big play. How has he flown under the radar of getting the business? Watching him sunday he made Heard look like Ted Washington. He also looks very fat. We all noticed how poor Andre Davis has played, why not Edwards?

Does anyone else notice this. He has done absolutely nothing this year. I know he's a "run stopper" but he can't even do that. He gets no pressure and never makes a big play. How has he flown under the radar of getting the business? Watching him sunday he made Heard look like Ted Washington. He also looks very fat. We all noticed how poor Andre Davis has played, why not Edwards?

He was actually in on at least a couple of plays yesterday...

He's still a pretty good run stopper but he gives you nothing in the pass rush...I don't know...I think he looked a lot better with Williams, Merriman, and Kelsay around him.

Yahoo Sports box score says he he had more total tackles (combining solo and assists) than any other DL or LB against the Giants:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore;_ylt=ApE_QUCj0RqNIbcYI33CMTRDubYF?gid=20111016019

He also leads all DL in YTD tackles by a wide margin:

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/team-statistics.html

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

Defensively, I'm actually more concerned about "where's McKelvin?"

This first round draft pick now has been demoted, but while he was in as a starter he was terrible.

Dwan Edwards is not flashy in the least, but plays with a good drive and is tough on the edge. He is solid on the line and is tough to move. A player like that frees up blockers for your LB's to make plays.

Edwards I would say is solid. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Defensively, I'm actually more concerned about "where's McKelvin?"

This first round draft pick now has been demoted, but while he was in as a starter he was terrible.

Dwan Edwards is not flashy in the least, but plays with a good drive and is tough on the edge. He is solid on the line and is tough to move. A player like that frees up blockers for your LB's to make plays.

Edwards I would say is solid. Nothing more. Nothing less.

He excelled in Baltimore when he had the supporting cast around him. It's like that here on a much smaller scale...he plays better with the talent around him.

Wow, I know I have not been able to watch many games but I listen to them all. Listening to the broadcasts they insist Edwards is our most consistent DL. They're saying he may not have the stats but he convincingly earns his check each play.

According to Profootballfocus.com, Premium Stats, our best lineman so far is the rookie Dareus. His most recent game earned him a +5.1, which is awesome. He's #19 of 59 on the list of DE's, ahead of Cameron Heyward, Jared Odrick, Vonnie Holliday. He's had 4 positive games out of 6.

Our second best lineman is Dwan Edwards. He's #29 of 59, above Ricky Jean-Francois and Clifton Geathers. The CIN game was his best game, and only positive game, where he got a +0.2. He's had 1 positive game out of 6.

Spencer Johnson is at #35, above Muhammad Wilkerson and Igor Olshansky. His last game was the worst, a -3.2, and he's had 2 positive games out of 6.

Carrington is #44 among 3-4 DE's, and 3 of his last 4 games have been positive.

Kelsay is not listed here. He's listed #59 of 69 DE's in the 4-3, below Carrington (our best 4-3 DE at #43), and Merriman (#53). He's also listed as 3-4OLB, #20 out of 53. 2 out of his 4 games played were positive in this role, netting a +4.7 in the OAK game. Moats is #26 as a 3-4 OLB and Batten is #39. Merriman is #47 out of 53.

These stats lead me to believe we'll be shopping early for a disruptive DE who can play 3-4, but also a 4-3 DE (likely different players).

Edited by Astrobot

According to Profootballfocus.com, Premium Stats, our best lineman so far is the rookie Dareus. His most recent game earned him a +5.1, which is awesome. He's #19 of 59 on the list of DE's, ahead of Cameron Heyward, Jared Odrick, Vonnie Holliday. He's had 4 positive games out of 6.

Our second best lineman is Dwan Edwards. He's #29 of 59, above Ricky Jean-Francois and Clifton Geathers. The CIN game was his best game, and only positive game, where he got a +0.2. He's had 1 positive game out of 6.

Spencer Johnson is at #35, above Muhammad Wilkerson and Igor Olshansky. His last game was the worst, a -3.2, and he's had 2 positive games out of 6.

Kelsay is not listed here. He's listed #59 of 69 DE's in the 4-3, below Carrington (our best 4-3 DE at #43), and Merriman (#53).

These stats lead me to believe we'll be shopping early for a disruptive DE who can play 3-4, but also a 4-3 DE (likely different players).

I hope people read and understand this after consulting the website.

Kelsay is not listed here. He's listed #59 of 69 DE's in the 4-3, below Carrington (our best 4-3 DE at #43), and Merriman (#53). He's also listed as 3-4OLB, #20 out of 53. 2 out of his 4 games played were positive in this role, netting a +4.7 in the OAK game. Moats is #26 as a 3-4 OLB and Batten is #39. Merriman is #47 out of 53.

Where do they rank K Williams, the Bills actual best defensive lineman?

Edited by vincec

Dwan is hardly the problem on this D IMO. He may not be a stud like Dareus & KWilliams, but he is a solid complimentary player. Great pick-up last year, I'm glad he's on the team.

Yahoo Sports box score says he he had more total tackles (combining solo and assists) than any other DL or LB against the Giants:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore;_ylt=ApE_QUCj0RqNIbcYI33CMTRDubYF?gid=20111016019

He also leads all DL in YTD tackles by a wide margin:

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/team-statistics.html

part of the reason hes getting the tackles is they're running at him ,the same happened with fletcher,,the guy had huge tackle numbers but most of them were with cleat marks on his jersey ,teams ran over him.

Where do they rank K Williams, the Bills actual best defensive lineman?

They rank him poorly. First of all, he's lumped with NT/DT's, an unfair comparison for many of the stats.

However, you asked.

NT/DT's, Overall Ranking (Out Of 129):

Dareus #17 of 129 (#10 pass rush, #40 rushing defense)

Spencer Johnson #44 of 129 (#25 pass rush #70 rushing defense)

Torell Troup #56 of 129 (#36 pass rush #79 rushing defense)

Kyle D. Williams #108 of 129 (#64 pass rush, #38 rushing defense)

Kellen Heard #114 of 129 (#90 pass rush #71 rushing defense)

Dwan Edwards #121 of 129 (#102 pass rush #122 rushing defense)

Edited by Astrobot

Edwards = Solid

He's not a pro bowler, he's not a scrub. He's a starter on this team.

Again, of 129 people playing his position in the NFL, Dwan Edwards ranked #121 of 129 (#102 pass rush #122 rushing defense). He's a starter by default. He'll be replaced.