Friggin' NHL

mcjeff215

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20041...?tbd1059440.asp

I want to go off on a tirade as to how cities are losing money on arenas, doors shutting, all because of this but... bah. It's not worth it.

Throw 'em out and start over. The NHL has been slowly going to steve for years now.

I 100% agree....Bring in some young Europeans, Canadians, and Russians...pay them half what NHL players make, then start over.

I've been saying years that they should do this with baseball as well.

173356[/snapback]

Breaking the players union is a GOOD thing.

If someone can please tell me why MILLIONAIRES need a union, I'm all ears.

I had this argument with some local yocal on Sunday....

I said "when will the players realize they don't deserve as much as the NFL players?"

He got all pissy and lectured me on how the NHL is the hardest sport in the world, and they deserve MORE money that football, etc.

I tried explaining that what I meant is that the NHL, with TV contracts, brings in tons more money that the NHL, and thus the players make more. Simple economics.

He went on and on about how the players have to learn a new way to move, etc (skating). I agree, it is hard.

Anyway, point is, if your business doesnt bring in as much money as the NFL, your employees shouldnt expect to get paid as much as an NFLer.

I said "when will the players realize they don't deserve as much as the NFL players?"

He got all pissy and lectured me on how the NHL is the hardest sport in the world, and they deserve MORE money that football, etc.

I tried explaining that what I meant is that the NHL, with TV contracts, brings in tons more money that the NHL, and thus the players make more. Simple economics.

He went on and on about how the players have to learn a new way to move, etc (skating). I agree, it is hard.

Anyway, point is, if your business doesnt bring in as much money as the NFL, your employees shouldnt expect to get paid as much as an NFLer.

173378[/snapback]

Right. It's not about the skill, it's about the... dum dum dum dum... demand.

Why do millionaires need a union? Why to become bigger millionaires of course!

Right. It's not about the skill, it's about the... dum dum dum dum... demand.

Why do millionaires need a union? Why to become bigger millionaires of course!

173381[/snapback]

Exactly. I hope the owners do the right thing and break those greedy bastards will as well as their union. This kinda stuff disgusts me. Hell, it disgusts me when REGULAR unions go on strike, but this is ridiculous.

Breaking the players union is a GOOD thing.

If someone can please tell me why MILLIONAIRES need a union, I'm all ears.

173374[/snapback]

To protect them from the exploitation of the evil owners. Why if it wasn't for the union all those poor NHL players would be earning minimum wage and forced to buy all their own equipment.

---snicker---

:D

To protect them from the exploitation of the evil owners. Why if it wasn't for the union all those poor NHL players would be earning minimum wage and forced to buy all their own equipment.

---snicker---

:D

173384[/snapback]

Sniff... sniff... they would be forced to work an entire 52 weeks a year slaving for adoring fans and mere thousands a month. You know, the insurance on a Ferrari is quite high these days; baby needs new shoes!

If the owner of my company said "we simply don't have the money to keep paying you the huge amount we are for you doing very menial work, so, you will still be wealthy, but if you want to stay wealthy, you need to take a 50% pay cut" and I said "no, i want it all!!!!" , my ass would be on the street faster than you could say "jeff garcia is a homo".

I think what they should do is stop paying them altogether and hand them all the local want ads... have them start faxing resumes, see what kind of pay they would get in a "real" job, and then watch them RUN back for a 50% pay cut.

If the owner of my company said "we simply don't have the money to keep paying you the huge amount we are for you doing very menial work, so, you will still be wealthy, but if you want to stay wealthy, you need to take a 50% pay cut" and I said "no, i want it all!!!!" , my ass would be on the street faster than you could say "jeff garcia is a homo".

I think what they should do is stop paying them altogether and hand them all the local want ads... have them start faxing resumes, see what kind of pay they would get in a "real" job, and then watch them RUN back for a 50% pay cut.

173392[/snapback]

Steve, I thought you were a liberal? :D

173378[/snapback]

Water polo is a pretty hard game to play, too........that guy is an idiot.

What about LOWER ticket prices? Everyone carries on about how much the players make and owners maybe losing money. Be sure to take care of the fan. Sure they'll bring in loser strike-breaker players, and knock off what, $5/ticket.

I still say if the ultimate settlement doesn't include quality play and lower ticket prices for the fan, I don't care if or how it turns out

I haven't missed the NHL much yet. I will in Januarya and February when football is over. Even so I hope the owners hold out. The NHL has no future with its current salary structure and it seems the only way for the players to realize that is for the owners to stand fast.

I especially liked the comment by the player, "whatever it takes...1, 2 even 5 years..."

Buddy, after 1 year the NHL is in jeapordy of never appearing again. 5 years? Who would care!

And during that time, what jobs will the players be working at.

173392[/snapback]

LMAO, you just had to play the "Jeff Garcia is a homo card" now didn't ya!

HAHA

Exactly. I hope the owners do the right thing and break those greedy bastards will as well as their union. This kinda stuff disgusts me. Hell, it disgusts me when REGULAR unions go on strike, but this is ridiculous.

173383[/snapback]

The owners should set whatever rules they want, give the players a deadline to come around (as individuals), and after the deadline passes blacklist anyone who hasn't come around.

The players aren't holding any of the cards here. They can't start their own league and no one misses them now. And each player probably has only about 10 years in their life when they can really play pro hockey at a high level. So if they want to waste up to 5 of those year, good for them. The next batch of replacements is right around the corner.

If they promoted the entire AHL right now, I'd go to the games just like I always have.

Water polo is a pretty hard game to play,  too........that  guy is an idiot.

173465[/snapback]

So is LaCrosse. I'm waiting for Lax to take over as a somewhat major sport. That's fun to play and watch.