The Call

Simon

Maybe not the time to go over the top in a tie game and the Giants already having wasted one of their TO's.

Lots of foolishness out there today but Chan still had a late lead on the table and gave it away....

Your QB made the right read to throw the ball to Johnson in the 1 on 1, Fitz just has to hit the pass. The play from the sideline was not "go over the top." It was run this play and take what they give you, like you've done over the last 6 weeks...

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I liked the call. I was so sick and tired of Jauronball (playing not to lose). Fitz made a bad pass. If it was good we get the touchdown and the Giants have 4 minutes to TIE THE GAME. Guess what, they might leave us some time to get into field goal range. To me we could play this "what if" game forever (and we probably will for at least the next 2 weeks :)) but I'd rather be agressive and play to win rather than sit back and play not to lose. Its just what winning teams do.

Overall, I agree with you. But there is room for flexibility. They were on the road, playing in thw wind.

If we are to be honest, we are not 4-2 because of our dominating defense. Being up 3 does not seem like a safe scenario, but we have been winning on takeaways.

As you said, we will never know what would have happened. I wanted them to run, but I tend to more than most. Gailey has been "right" this season more than Jauron was in all his time here combined.

His offensive strategy is great, but I happen to disagree with it in this one instance.

The running game wasn't working, the winds were swirling, and the play was there for the taking. The Fitz giveth, and the Fitz...giveth to the other team. Gotta move on and hope he doesn't do that much more in the future.

So, not to bump this up or anything, but this was TMQ's take:

Sour Play of the Week: In the third quarter at Snoopy Stadium, Buffalo quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick attempted a "go" to Stevie Johnson along the deep left sideline. Jersey/A's Corey Webster read the play perfectly and made the first second-half interception of Fitzpatrick this season. Now the contest is tied at 24 and Buffalo has first down at the Giants' 27 with 4:10 remaining. The Bills, with a reliable placekicker, already are in field-goal range. It's an excellent situation in which to milk the clock, score, and leave the hosts little time to reply. Instead Fitzpatrick again sends Johnson on a go along the deep left sideline, again covered by Webster, again an interception. Jersey/A takes the ball the other way for the winning kick. At Harvard they teach you: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Well, that clinches it, Gailey definitely made the right call.

Easterbrook is an idiot if he thinks Corey Webster played either of the plays correctly....He was clearly beaten on both of the plays. Fitz bailed him out with underthrows both times.

WTH was he watching?

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/10/18/week-seven-power-rankings-3

Bills at #11 in PFW Power Rank with the following commentary:

11. Buffalo Bills: Two underthrown balls by Fitzpatrick were the difference.