The New Yorker writeup

NJBuffFan

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it is safe to say that Buffalo has plenty going for it. I'd like to know what the author thinks a city needs to have a lot going for it. Larger museums? Broadway shows that he will never attend? Very expensive restaurants with lots of michelin stars that he cannot afford and will never go to? What is it exactly?

Christ Almighty, I think it's safe to say that no matter what Reeves wrote, some Buffalonian(s) would take it the wrong way and scream bloody murder! :rolleyes:

Had he written that Buffalo's the best city he's ever has visited - or ever will - in his entire life, I swear someone would probably cry foul and call him an arrogant, lying, condescending f__k for mocking us!

It's a great article! It doesn't portray Buffalo in a bad way at all. It mocks broadcasters for constantly mentioning that Fitz went to Harvard. (Hell, we mock them for that too!) It mocks New Yorkers for their myopic view of the world, shouts that the Bills are NY State's only football team, derides the 'New Jersey circus shows' put on by the Jets and Giants, and praises Buffalonians for proudly defending their home town.

What more do people want? To lose every game so you can have Andy Luck?

PTR... I grew up in Cheektowaga and love Buffalo.

Nonetheless, I can't argue with the portrayal in the New Yorker. Having visited most of the NFL cities and lived in a few of them, I must objectively admit Buffalo doesn't live up as a municipality in most regards. Bills fans are incomparable but Buffalo itself is not a first-rate city.

I never said it was first-rate, but it's not a schitthole either. In the end it's all about what you want for lifestyle. When I come home to visit I am never at a loss for stuff to do. Sports, shows, bars, restaurants, I can barely fit it all in one weekend.

PTR

Sometimes the Buffalo-bashing is just story telling. It sounds good to talk about the bleakness of Buffalo and the despondency of 10+ years of football futility. This helps to explain the excessive enthusiasm of Buffalo's fans and makes Bills wins all the more sweet.

Other times the Buffalo-bashing is just bashing. For example, I went to Miami in '93 to watch the Bills-Fins playoff game. This was back in the heyday of the rivalry and waitresses would jokingly refuse to serve me when I'd show up in my Bills gear.

But some of the bashing wasn't so good-natured. One of the TV stations did a piece comparing the cities of Buffalo and Miami. Needless to say, they highlighted Miami's beaches and art deco masterpieces at their sunniest best while contrasting them with shots of a gray Buffalo skyline in a winter freeze. There were something like 15,000 or 20,000 Bills with tickets for the game. Reportedly, an additional 20,000 to 60,000 Bills fans would be at South Florida sports bars. In all seriousness (or so it seemed to me), the newscasters explained the massive Bills presence as an escape from the icy industrial ugliness of Buffalo. I didn't like my hometown being portrayed so negatively.

Buffalo was once one of America's great cities. It's not anymore. But I agree that it still has its charms and attractions.

It is customary to take swipes at Buffalo. This guy has probably never been there.He's just going by stereotypes. I can tell you that I was visiting BFLO from San Diego last weekend at it was EPIC back there...Beautiful early fall weather, amazing Bills tailgating and game. NY does not offer the same type of football environment BFLO does...It isnt even close. It is like an alumni homecoming weekend at a big college every weekend in Orchard Park-There is no other town other than maybe Green Bay that can come close to that . Dont tell me BFLO doesnt have much going for it, because it really does. It is charming, vibrant and welcoming. My wife has fallen in love with it and she spent her entire lif in Southern California.

When NYC is under water in about 50 years...All the turds from NYC will move west to BFLO!

Let us know how she feels in March ;) Hopefully the turds will migrate to Philly instead.

I never said it was first-rate, but it's not a schitthole either. In the end it's all about what you want for lifestyle. When I come home to visit I am never at a loss for stuff to do. Sports, shows, bars, restaurants, I can barely fit it all in one weekend.

PTR

You forgot to mention digging your car out of the snow...ahh fun. Last year it snowed here once...we all went outside and made mud angels :o

Edited by SouthGeorgiaBillsFan

+1 to everything from The Senator. Reeves didn't pull a McGahee on us and say there's nothing to do, in which case I would've joined you with my pitchforks. But to say a) it's cold and b) there's a lack of industry is simply stating facts, and that's all he did. Verified by his reply, that's all he really meant. Maybe I'm not one to read in between the lines, but if this article didn't stoke my inferiority complex then it must not've been that bad.

PTR

Exactly!

Unfortunately, for those that live there, the other 51 weekends are completely free.

I jokes. I jokes. I love Buffalo. To me, it's a great city. It's great because of its people though. And food.

Christ Almighty, I think it's safe to say that no matter what Reeves wrote, some Buffalonian(s) would take it the wrong way and scream bloody murder! :rolleyes:

Had he written that Buffalo's the best city he's ever has visited - or ever will - in his entire life, I swear someone would probably cry foul and call him an arrogant, lying, condescending f__k for mocking us!

It's a great article! It doesn't portray Buffalo in a bad way at all. It mocks broadcasters for constantly mentioning that Fitz went to Harvard. (Hell, we mock them for that too!) It mocks New Yorkers for their myopic view of the world, shouts that the Bills are NY State's only football team, derides the 'New Jersey circus shows' put on by the Jets and Giants, and praises Buffalonians for proudly defending their home town.

What more do people want? To lose every game so you can have Andy Luck?

yes! right, exactly. reading comprehension...it's a beautiful thing.

These dumbass writers talk about what Buffalo is like but have never set foot in the city. It's not New York but how many cities are?

PTR

True. NYC is unique. And much more liveable than it was 20 years ago. Buff has definately gone down hill from my youth, but if you know where to go, it is good fun as well...