Bills Veterans / Merriman/Davis/Barnett

Booger

Just a thread to say "Thanks" to these guys in helping change the atomosphere and general feel to the franchise. Yes Merriman has been off to a little slower pace than expected, Yes Davis is looking his age, BUT the contributions that these two have made to this team are FAR more valuable to whatever contributions they are to make (if any) on the field this year and in future years.

Personally, as a FAN, I would like to say THANK YOU to these two and every other VET that has help spread the positive vibe around Bills Nation. This is as valuable, if not more valuable, than any other aspect of improvment that surrounds a team. They give players the sense of pride and something to play for week in and week out.

Of course I would like to see the Merriman of old. Of course I would love to of had Davis 5-6 years ago, BUT, I am fine with them now as the Bills have future stars in the making with SHEPPARD, BATTEN, MOATS and maybe CARRINGTON and WHITE.

Enough of the dumping on these guys and lets just be appreciative that they are part of a team that have gone from the laughing stock of the league as short as 1-2 years ago to being talked about week in and week out with the 12 man representing strongly in each and every highlight shown.

He may have missed some coverage assignments and

some tackles but I am extremely impressed with Barnett. He is almost always around the ball and He has become the leader of the d. Extra props to him. Hopefully the young LBs are studying his game an learning from him.

Agree with this entire post. I personally think the leadership in this locker room has gone leaps and bounds over just a year ago. Last year we were relying on guys like Poz, Evans, Edwards, Whitner. Evans is the only one that even played on a regular basis and could be trusted to show up every Sunday. Poz was on the field 50% at best and when he was he was not anywhere near what Barnett is. Whitner was more of a leader in his own mind on Twitter than anything else. Wilson I think is the heart and soul of this defense and it shows. I rewarched the game from Sunday and noticed Wilson very vocal on the sidelines and picking up clipboards to go over plays they were burned on. Just like against NE where he stated that he got burned on the one okay over the middle and wasn't going to fall for it again and ended up getting a pick the next time.

Moats, Batten, Carrington, Wilson, Dareus, Williams, Searcy, Byrd, Shephard are all the future of this defense and I think it looks like it could be special for years to come.

Good post :thumbsup: I think the D will improve as these 1st and 2nd year guys get more time. I like the contributions that they are making already. I would also guess Darius is getting help from Edwards and Kyle. I think Edwards has lost more of step then AD, I wonder if AD will be signed back next year.

Good post.

Much has been made, and rightfully so, by the fact that the core of the team that went through last year grew up a little and learned through growing pains. I think the combination of that -- plus the veteran leadership provided by Merriman and Barnett, and Davis, Dwan Edwards, etc who were already here -- plus the kind of players that Buddy has drafted, acquired (and let go) -- and the veteran no nonsense coach -- has fused into a strong willed, tough team.

Bodes very well for the future.

Just a thread to say "Thanks" to these guys in helping change the atomosphere and general feel to the franchise. Yes Merriman has been off to a little slower pace than expected, Yes Davis is looking his age, BUT the contributions that these two have made to this team are FAR more valuable to whatever contributions they are to make (if any) on the field this year and in future years.

Personally, as a FAN, I would like to say THANK YOU to these two and every other VET that has help spread the positive vibe around Bills Nation. This is as valuable, if not more valuable, than any other aspect of improvment that surrounds a team. They give players the sense of pride and something to play for week in and week out.

Of course I would like to see the Merriman of old. Of course I would love to of had Davis 5-6 years ago, BUT, I am fine with them now as the Bills have future stars in the making with SHEPPARD, BATTEN, MOATS and maybe CARRINGTON and WHITE.

Enough of the dumping on these guys and lets just be appreciative that they are part of a team that have gone from the laughing stock of the league as short as 1-2 years ago to being talked about week in and week out with the 12 man representing strongly in each and every highlight shown.

Booger, I agree 1000%!

There are a lot of people on this forum who think the defense sucks because that's what the statistics say.

But this defense is gonna be a strong unit and that evolution is taking place now. Many of these are the same people who thought our offensive line was doomed to mediocrity or worse.

Some people will not or cannot detect improvement until after it has happened.

I believe that the Bills D will be among the better units in the league by the late stages of this season.

There is an excellent mix of young talent and consumate professional veterans… I put Dwan Edwards, Drayton Florence, and Spencer Johnson in this class in addition to the guys already mentioned. I love the makeup of this roster.

One more good pass rusher and one more good cover man and this D can be elite.