Does a Steelers win eliminate...

the Ravens from the post season?  I thought I read that it does, but that makes no sense because if all 8-6 teams loose this week, they are still in the hunt right?

172968[/snapback]

We won't know until the end of games on the 2nd.

the Ravens from the post season?  I thought I read that it does, but that makes no sense because if all 8-6 teams loose this week, they are still in the hunt right?

172968[/snapback]

All of those thoughts are based on the Bills winning out. If the Bills win, all of the teams we are tied with only need one loss to be out.

I dont know who baltimore has the tiebreaker over (besides us), but assuming pit wins, baltimore would need to make the playoffs at 9-7.

This unlikely scenario would be further complicated by the fact that all remaining 9-7 teams are 6-6 in AFC play (assuming buffalo beats pit and loses to SF...unlikely. In the reverse scenario, buffalo would be 5-7 in AFC play and be eliminated by tiebreakers).

So for baltimore to still make the playoffs at 9-7, they need to win alot of tiebreakers over us, denver and jacksonville.

The next tiebreaker is common games. With 4 teams in the mix, this gets VERY complicated. Too much so for me.

So to answer your question John, at 9-7 Baltimore is still mathematically alive, though they would need alot of help. Theoretically Buffalo Denver and Jacksonville could drop both remaining games and finish 8-8, thereby "earning" baltimore the #6 seed.

Of course the more likely scenario is one of those 4 teams wins out and claims the title at 10-6, but in todays NFL...anything can happen.

A loss for Baltimore and a win by Jacksonville and/or Denver eliminates them. They only have the tie breaker advantage over Buffalo.

If Baltimore, Jax and Denver all lose and the BIlls and Jets win, the Ravens are still technically alive, but their prospects would be grim. They would need Denver, Jax and the Bills all to lose in week 17.

I f Baltimore loses this Sunday and the Jags win, then the Ravens are elimnated.

173212[/snapback]

or If Baltimore loses, and the Bills win, Baltimore is out... correct?

Wait.... while typing this i realized no... ahh, confusing.

If they lose and we win, but then we lose and they win (the next week) they are in...

The only thing you need to be concerned about is this: we need to win out.

If we win out, we are 10-6.

If Baltimore, Denver, and/or Jacksonville loses one more game, the best they can finish is 9-7. So, if we assume that we win out (and why not? if we don't, who cares about the playoffs), then a single loss by any of these teams effectively eliminates them from the post-season.

It doesn't officially eliminate them, but if you take the assumption that we win out to finish 10-6, it essentially does.

Which is why, by the start of our game on Sunday, we may actually be in the driver's seat, so to speak. If Denver loses on Saturday, and Baltimore and Jacksonville lose their early games on Sunday, we would already know the path that lies before us....

(and, just as an aside, MORE COWBELL)