Marcell Dareus vs. AJ Green

Juror#8

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're 31% (or 26% percent depending on how ambitious you're feeling) of the way into the season. It's a good time to reflect on first round draft pick performance.

Not to be too revisionist here, but does anyone wish (even a teeny weeny bit) that we would have drafted AJ Green? I mean, at a minimum, wouldn't it be a wash - in that he would have had an equal offensive impact as Mr. Dareus has had defensively?

With that said, how often do truly stud, impactful, game-changing Wide Receivers surface? Once every 3-4 years I'd guess. What about DTs, similarly described? Once a year, me thinks.

Watching Calvin Johnson outrun a cover-two last night makes one salivate at the possibility of a big, strong, fast, receiver (he is the only receiver that I have ever seen outrun a cover-two btw). He can almost single-handedly impact the ebb and the flow of any one game (assuming someone is throwing to him).

Ultimately, I think Sir Dareus was the best choice, the right pick, and the best fit for this team. What say you?

Not at all. Dareus is a great defensive lineman and fills one area of critical need. AJ Green is a truly outstanding receiver, but we were stocked with receivers at the time of the draft, Evans, Johnson, Parrish, Jones et. sl. It would have been like drafting Spiller (and we see how that turned out). Von Miller might have fit our needs a little more, but he wasn't available. There were two outstanding defensive players on the board, Miller and Dareus and we got one. Good choice.

We're 31% (or 26% percent depending on how ambitious you're feeling) of the way into the season. It's a good time to reflect on first round draft pick performance.

Not to be too revisionist here, but does anyone wish (even a teeny weeny bit) that we would have drafted AJ Green? I mean, at a minimum, wouldn't it be a wash - in that he would have had an equal offensive impact as Mr. Dareus has had defensively?

With that said, how often do truly stud, impactful, game-changing Wide Receivers surface? Once every 3-4 years I'd guess. What about DTs, similarly described? Once a year, me thinks.

Watching Calvin Johnson outrun a cover-two last night makes one salivate at the possibility of a big, strong, fast, receiver (he is the only receiver that I have ever seen outrun a cover-two btw). He can almost single-handedly impact the ebb and the flow of any one game (assuming someone is throwing to him).

Ultimately, I think Sir Dareus was the best choice, the right pick, and the best fit for this team. What say you?

It seems like we are getting a lot of these posts lately with people saying "man I wish we had Miller, or Newton, or Green...". I don't get it, Dareus has been great IMO, even though the defense around him is awful (not to mention the worst d-coordinator in history). It's a similar situation to KW last year. His position isn't going to get him TD's, or 20 sacks, but it is scary to think how bad our D would be without him.

It's easy to say "wow how great would Green or Miller be" now that we have had all these receiver injuries, and Merriman is done...

This is the first 1st round pick in a LONG time that I can remember that ISN'T a bust, and people are STILL complaining. Dareus is solid, and was a good pick. We could have used any or all of the first 5 picks in the draft, but we only get 1...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Dareus over Green. Outside of Suh (who plays in a 1 gap defense), name another DT that came in and dominated? He's playing with nothing around him right now as well. He will be a pro bowler for years to come so I'm not worried.

Now Williams over Dalton looks to be another miss by Buddy. Buddy is a complete disaster. His first draft Rivals the Marv regime's worst. :bag:

We could have taken Green and who knows how effective he would have been in this offense. Our D would still be getting eaten alive and we would all be clamoring for Dareus.

The only problem is that our D is still getting eaten alive and we have Dareus (I know that that is not entirely his fault).

The question is, would anything be different on defense without him there?

AND

If we say that a "with-Dareus" defense hasn't been any better than a "without-Dareus" defense, could we have drafted Green and be winning games with a potent, non-predictable offense (and just as bad a defense).

At the end of the day, the consideration is: there has been no defensive change with Dareus but we could have made a significant offensive change with Green and at least scored points.

The only problem is that our D is still getting eaten alive and we have Dareus (I know that that is not entirely his fault).

The question is, would anything be different on defense without him there?

AND

If we say that a "with-Dareus" defense hasn't been any better than a "without-Dareus" defense, could we have drafted Green and be winning games with a potent, non-predictable offense (and just as bad a defense).

At the end of the day, the consideration is: there has been no defensive change with Dareus but we could have made a significant offensive change with Green and at least scored points.

Yeah, I'm not buying any of this...People love the what if this...what if that... arguments. KW, Merriman, and Kelsey got hurt, and we have a god awful D-coordinator that makes Dick Jauron look like a coaching genius. Green looked good, but Dalton threw for almost 400 yards without him against the Ravens last week. You could argue it is as much Dalton as green...

You could also say Newton would have been a better pick, or Miller for his pass rushing...Of course if we drafted any of those guys, you would be on here saying we should have taken Dareus over them, since the "what if's" are always better...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Dareus over Green. Outside of Suh (who plays in a 1 gap defense), name another DT that came in and dominated? He's playing with nothing around him right now as well. He will be a pro bowler for years to come so I'm not worried.

Now Williams over Dalton looks to be another miss by Buddy. Buddy is a complete disaster. His first draft Rivals the Marv regime's worst. :bag:

I can't believe that there were so many QBs sitting at the top of the second and we took none...didn't even give them a sniff.

I'm gonna say that trade-down possibilities presented themselves on draft day.

It would have been nice to trade down 10 spots, picked up a 2nd and 3rd, grabbed Ryan Kerrigan and Andy Dalton, plus Williams (if they coveted him that much) and been in a better position both defensively and offensively.

Until the offensive line is solid a WR is not going to be effective. I'm a strong believer in building strong lines first, then adding in the other positions. It seems like the Bills are finally on that page, but we'll see what happens in the offseason.

Yeah, I'm not buying any of this...People love the what if this...what if that... arguments. KW, Merriman, and Kelsey got hurt, and we have a god awful D-coordinator that makes Dick Jauron look like a coaching genius. Green looked good, but Dalton threw for almost 400 yards without him against the Ravens last week. You could argue it is as much Dalton as green...

You could also say Newton would have been a better pick, or Miller for his pass rushing...Of course if we drafted any of those guys, you would be on here saying we should have taken Dareus over them...

Funny enough I'm not saying that we should have done anything. I'm in as being a Dareus supporter.

I'm interested to know what people think the impact would have been if we had of gone a different direction.

And this is as important a conversation for the upcoming draft as it is an interesting conversation in retrospect.

Fewer people now are saying that "you don't take a WR that high," than at draft time. When an offense is predicated on short routes, the receivers can't get off a jam, and there is absolutely no deep threat, a big-value WR begins to sound slightly more reasonable.

Our defense has been bad ALL year. We were able to maintain by scoring more points than the bad defense gave up. The offense became bad when teams realized that we had 0 talent at wideout. The question is, if the defense is bad ANYWAY, Dareus or no Dareus, why not just go "no-Dareus," add Green, and at least keep out-scoring teams?

You may not like it, but it is a valid consideration.

Until the offensive line is solid a WR is not going to be effective. I'm a strong believer in building strong lines first, then adding in the other positions. It seems like the Bills are finally on that page, but we'll see what happens in the offseason.

In the era of free agency, you have to add some sizzle to that steak. Hitting on 50% of draft picks is the best way to do it and maintain a balanced overall build. But when a team drafts at a sub-20% rate, building the lines first will not be a successful approach.

At least with some sizzle, you may be able to attract free agents to a geographically challenged area.

IMO, a free agent would rather play on a team with Adrian Peterson than Jake Long.

Edited by Juror#8

I can't believe that there were so many QBs sitting at the top of the second and we took none...didn't even give them a sniff.

I'm gonna say that trade-down possibilities presented themselves on draft day.

It would have been nice to trade down 10 spots, picked up a 2nd and 3rd, grabbed Ryan Kerrigan and Andy Dalton, plus Williams (if they coveted him that much) and been in a better position both defensively and offensively.

Come on, you know Buddy's rule is he doesn't trade down. How's that working for him? I've said from the very beginning that Nix was a joke and it's hard to argue anything but at this point. :bag:

We should have a shot at one of the top wr's in this class. Whether its Blackmon, floyd, broyles, or my personal favorite, Alshon Jeffrey. On the flip side of that, I have yet to see a dl at the level of dareus that could be had this yr. Imo, marcel was the right pick for us. This yr I think we should probably take a WR high in the draft. A guy like Jeffrey could really help open up this offense. But, I understand the dire need for a pass rusher as well.

We should have a shot at one of the top wr's in this class. Whether its Blackmon, floyd, broyles, or my personal favorite, Alshon Jeffrey. On the flip side of that, I have yet to see a dl at the level of dareus that could be had this yr. Imo, marcel was the right pick for us. This yr I think we should probably take a WR high in the draft. A guy like Jeffrey could really help open up this offense. But, I understand the dire need for a pass rusher as well.

Floyd and Jeffery are both big and slow. Jeffery came into camp this year fat and out of shape and Floyd has had personal issues since day one at ND. Broyles is a nice possession type WR who is small and coming off of a torn ACL. Blackmon is a stud but he'll be long gone by the time the Bills pick.

The pick should be an edge rusher. It doesn't matter if it's a 4-3 DE or and 3-4 OLB. The guy the Bills draft needs to provide a a rush off the edge and be stout at the POA. Upshaw from Bama does both, especially if the Bills want to stick to the 3-4. He is an instant impact player, not in the mold of Miller, but he stronger against the run as well as the pass.

Another guy that stands out to me is Melvin Ingram from South Carolina. He plays inside and outside on the DL and I'm not sure that he can play 3-4 OLB but he is going to make some team very happy on draft day.

Edited by John Cocktosten