Gish, Albany, Fitz, and Brady

This is going to be tough, but I want you to wrap your mind around the thought of something:

---------Ryan Fitzpatrick acting like Tom Brady

What if Fitz pulled a "Brady", trotting vaguely in the direction of the DB who just INT him and pulling up short of a lick?

What if Fitz embraced the "preppy" look, wearing crisp white Oxford shirts under a navy blue cashmere sweater instead of Ninja Turtles tshirts, the collar carefully adjusted to look careless?

What if FItz came out in press conferences and said "we just sucked, we couldn't do this, we couldn't do that, we couldn't do the other" calling out his team as Brady did last year, instead of "it's on me, as the QB, not to make so many mistakes"?

Thank God, it's very hard to picture. But if it did go down this way, do you think Fitz would have the same credit with his teammates as an unknown late-round pick from a football byway? Would he be recognized as a "tough guy", a "competitor", someone they all can relate to? Not a chance. He earned his stripes, and the extra effort from his teammates, when he charged down the field with the ball and put his shoulder down to gain a first down in a game where the Bills were hopelessly behind. When he stepped out and 'sonned' a DB on a block, knocking him ass over teakettle to spring a bigger gain. When announcers started intoning, seriously "the Harvard quarterback, tough as nails...."

I've been keeping my mouth shut on the Albany Gish Gash. Now I'm going to weigh in.

Gish is pretending that she's drawing Neanderthal fire because she's a woman, and guys don't like to tolerate women mixing it up with football.

What bad guys! Why don't they think of their Daughters? When will it change?

That's as big a load of Baloney as it would be if Fitz pulled a Brady on the Buffalo locker room and then whined about the guys didn't accept him as a leader 'cuz he's a Hahvahd man.

Nothing justifies some of the crude rudeness Gish received. But she didn't receive it because she's a woman sports fan talking about football.

She received it because she wrote a fluffy, superficial cheap-shot piece dissing off the Bills and Bills fandom, absent any evidence of actual football knowledge and understanding.

Then the normal Human pattern-matching perceptions took over and got it mixed on cause-and-effect (ignorant piece written by woman = woman are ignorant).

I've done sports bars. I've done joshing in sports bars. I've done football discussions on Monday over the coffee pot. I know football discussion.

And Jennifer? Your piece was nothing like football discussion, and nothing like typical sports bar joshing. You didn't draw fire because you're a woman. You drew fire because you wrote like an idiot.

Try educating yourself about football and the teams you write about, then talk. Chances are the guys might disagree, and call you the same kind of names they'd call other guys when they think they got it wrong. Nothing better, nothing worse. When you know something, it tends to show pretty readily, and you get respect the old-fashioned way: You earn it.

Now, in the words of Holly Peete: Get your own d*** beer, I'm watching the game!

Hopeful out

Agreed. Dismissively Insult bills fans for wanting more coverage of their team and expect emotional degrading insults attacking anything and everything about your gender, ethnicity, name, origin hometown, parents and dog from the more virulent contingent of fans. And trying to exploit this as some sort of gender based discrimination is merely an opportunistic PR stunt.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

An analyst this week (maybe pti but not sure) said what's happened to the pats is tom brady went from a we guy to a me guy. When he first started doing commercials he did them with his o line and was an everyman. Then he became a superstar and players in the locker room aren't responding to him the same way. Long hair, supermodels, uggz and its not hard to see how your average football player could relate.

As for ms gish, I have no issue with females as sports fan or ananlysts. My sister knows more about baseball than anyone I know. That said she pulled a simple publicity stunt. Badmouth ppl, allow response on the internet(which we all know is always civil), publish the worst of the worst responses, then cry whoa is me. I didn't know her name 2 weeks ago and hope in 2 weeks I won't remember her name but the more ppl post her link, mention her name, or reference anything about it (I know I'm doing it) the longer her 15 minutes lasts. The best thing and best way to respond to journalism like this is to completely ignore it and the journalist themselves.

This is going to be tough, but I want you to wrap your mind around the thought of something:

What if Fitz pulled a "Brady", trotting vaguely in the direction of the DB who just INT him and pulling up short of a lick?

What if Fitz embraced the "preppy" look, wearing crisp white Oxford shirts under a navy blue cashmere sweater instead of Ninja Turtles tshirts, the collar carefully adjusted to look careless?

What if FItz came out in press conferences and said "we just sucked, we couldn't do this, we couldn't do that, we couldn't do the other" calling out his team as Brady did last year, instead of "it's on me, as the QB, not to make so many mistakes"?

Thank God, it's very hard to picture. But if it did go down this way, do you think Fitz would have the same credit with his teammates as an unknown late-round pick from a football byway? Would he be recognized as a "tough guy", a "competitor", someone they all can relate to? Not a chance. He earned his stripes, and the extra effort from his teammates, when he charged down the field with the ball and put his shoulder down to gain a first down in a game where the Bills were hopelessly behind. When he stepped out and 'sonned' a DB on a block, knocking him ass over teakettle to spring a bigger gain. When announcers started intoning, seriously "the Harvard quarterback, tough as nails...."

I've been keeping my mouth shut on the Albany Gish Gash. Now I'm going to weigh in.

Gish is pretending that she's drawing Neanderthal fire because she's a woman, and guys don't like to tolerate women mixing it up with football.

That's as big a load of Baloney as it would be if Fitz pulled a Brady on the Buffalo locker room and then whined about the guys didn't accept him as a leader 'cuz he's a Hahvahd man.

Nothing justifies some of the crude rudeness Gish received. But she didn't receive it because she's a woman sports fan talking about football.

She received it because she wrote a fluffy, superficial cheap-shot piece dissing off the Bills and Bills fandom, absent any evidence of actual football knowledge and understanding.

Then the normal Human pattern-matching perceptions took over and got it mixed on cause-and-effect (ignorant piece written by woman = woman are ignorant).

I've done sports bars. I've done joshing in sports bars. I've done football discussions on Monday over the coffee pot. I know football discussion.

And Jennifer? Your piece was nothing like football discussion, and nothing like typical sports bar joshing. You didn't draw fire because you're a woman. You drew fire because you wrote like an idiot.

Try educating yourself about football and the teams you write about, then talk. Chances are the guys might disagree, and call you the same kind of names they'd call other guys when they think they got it wrong. Nothing better, nothing worse. When you know something, it tends to show pretty readily, and you get respect the old-fashioned way: You earn it.

Now, in the words of Holly Peete: Get your own d*** beer, I'm watching the game!

Hopeful out

Funny stuff on the Fitz- Brady comments. Brady may be somewhat of a prima-donna but the guy is a fantastic QB and it felt great to beat him. I just do not want to ever see Fitz, or any Bills QB, wearing Ugh Boots.

Ugh :(

No comment on Gish.

Hopeful out

Ralph is cheap