LAMP - Moneyball Review

And a shameless plug for the new entertainment website that my friend Jared and I have started. It's called Entertainment Bureau and it just launched yesterday. Right now it's pretty bare-bones with only 10 articles, but more content is coming very soon.

Here's a review/meditation I wrote for the new Brad Pitt vehicle Moneyball. I want to eventually break into professional writing, so please let me know what you think of the article (you can leave a reply on the site) and explore the website a little too. Our mission statement is essentially to create an entertainment website where readers can submit content and collaborate to produce intelligent and thoughtful content.

http://www.entertainment-bureau.com/walking-the-line-how-moneyball-succeeded/

We're also looking for writers. Please PM me for more info if you're at all interested in writing articles. This can be a regular weekly feature or a one-time shot at any opinion you'd like to express.

Thanks for your time, guys. I realize LAMPs can be annoying, but I'm committed to getting this thing off the ground. Any support you can offer (leaving a comment on the site, reposting the link to other boards, etc. will really really help. I appreciate it. :)

-Sage

Nice job. :thumbsup: Looks like your not to far from a professional gig. Left a comment as well.

I really appreciate the compliment, Dante. My biggest problem is being excessively verbose, but I was proud of the review. I'll probably end up linking to future articles in this thread if you're interested.

Agreed. Nice job.

One tip on the writing--you can probably stand to be a little less formal when writing things of this nature (e.g., drop "it should be noted," "aforementioned"). But you'll probably find your "review voice" as you write more of these!

By the way, do you (or does anyone) watch Parks and Recreation? I couldn't help thinking that "Entertainment Bureau" sounds a lot like Jean-Ralphio's "Entertainment 720." :D

Thanks for the tip. It's definitely best to write in such a way as to not build a barrier between yourself and the audience, so I see where you're coming from with the formality.

I do watch Parks and Rec (better than it's sister show The Office, in my opinion). However, I invented the name Entertainment Bureau about 2 weeks before the Entertainment 720 episode, as I recall.

Saying that Parks and Rec is better then The Office isn't saying much. The Office keeps getting worse and worse ever season now, and parks and Rec is horrible. I used to tune in because I work for a municipality so we all were a buzz for the show when it first came out. i just don't think Amy Poeller is all that great (same with Tina Fey, think that she is overrated)

My only problem with Money Ball is that I don't get all the buzz around Billy Beane. The A's haven't been that great of a team in a weak division (AL West). Its an interesting theory and concept that he has created, but it doesn't work well when you let everyone else know about it and they can all do the same.

Saying that Parks and Rec is better then The Office isn't saying much. The Office keeps getting worse and worse ever season now, and parks and Rec is horrible. I used to tune in because I work for a municipality so we all were a buzz for the show when it first came out. i just don't think Amy Poeller is all that great (same with Tina Fey, think that she is overrated)

My only problem with Money Ball is that I don't get all the buzz around Billy Beane. The A's haven't been that great of a team in a weak division (AL West). Its an interesting theory and concept that he has created, but it doesn't work well when you let everyone else know about it and they can all do the same.

Isn't the point that the As changed baseball that year. Once they looked at players as numbers, more than this "compact swing" and "graceful" BS, the way teams looked at players changed.

Now, a good numbers player is still going to cost you, and so he's going to NY. Boston, Philly, Atlanta, etc. Beane couldn't keep his system a secret--it's just that he was the GM credited with testing it out, and it worked.

Now that everyone is using some variant of it, he's back to being a team that has 1/3 the budget of the Yankees and no shot at winning.

My favorite scene, by the way, is when Beane goes against the numbers and realizes that good numbers or not, Jeremy Giambi is a tool and trades him to Philly. I hoep to god it played out just like they showed in the movie though it probably did not.

Edited by John Adams

I just don't view Beane as really a good GM. He still doesn't have a WS winning club as a GM, and all he did was create something that once he made it public how it was done (writing the book "Money Ball") and other GMs caught on, it just made things worse for him. I would be impressed if he could still keep the team competitive while everyone else started doing it, then it might be movie worthy

I just don't view Beane as really a good GM. He still doesn't have a WS winning club as a GM, and all he did was create something that once he made it public how it was done (writing the book "Money Ball") and other GMs caught on, it just made things worse for him. I would be impressed if he could still keep the team competitive while everyone else started doing it, then it might be movie worthy

Plus, the MVP of the league, Tejada, was filled with all kinds of beef hormones.

The point is--he did beat them all. He came up with the system and using it, put together a top team for 1/3 the price. What he can't do is compete within the new system because he can't buy the players.

When everyone is using the same system, the money wins. Moneyball.

He didn't write the book ... but he did change the game. More so than any non player since Branch Rickey.

The point is--he did beat them all. He came up with the system and using it, put together a top team for 1/3 the price. What he can't do is compete within the new system because he can't buy the players.

When everyone is using the same system, the money wins. Moneyball.

I agree. To paraphrase from the movie, Beane was the man to break down the wall. Almost a decade later, every team in the Major Leagues has their own advanced analytics department so the advantage no longer exists.

Interestingly enough, the current low budget team having the most success is Tampa Bay and their offense is actually pretty shoddy by sabermetrics standards. Their highest OPS is Longoria at .850 which is solid but unspectacular for the superstar he's presumed to be. They do, however, have excellent pitching and defense by any standard.

:blink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNydBMu1VfI