Do the bills have the best O-line in the NFL?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not really a ranking, just a stat page sorted by sacks given up.

It's not really a ranking, just a stat page sorted by sacks given up.

Right, but you can sort on any stat. Rushing yards, top 6; avg. yards/rush, top 4; qb hits, top 7. I think it shows the o-line is in the top 5.

When this dialogue started i thought it was just too early to have an opinion myself.

Then we had Bell go down, in a blink we had Hairston out. i was looking for my misplaced panic button. Seems i dont need it.

Some one here was right, we might very well have the best o line at this moment And even if we dont we have one hell of a group of fellows that think they can be and are making me a Billeiver. i am having alot of fun watching the Oline work out on opposing Defenses. Nice work Boys!

i was so right about this oline coming into this year. i said that bell, levitre, and wood would be much better after a full offseason following playing so many games at such a young age. i said that buddy was scouring the league to hand pick the guys he wanted from free agent waivers and he continually straight-talked his confidence that those guys would be good and it didnt just sound like coachspeak to me. i said that chan was blunt and straight-talked the fact that the pass blocking was pretty good last season but the run blocking was 'bad' and that they would focus intensely on that in order to make it better. finally i said the line would start out at least average, would get better as the season went on, and end up a strength of the team. and yeah, i mercilessly mocked the panicky whineaholics that were flipping the freak out in preseason. of course the point of all this is that i am completely awesome and i am totally the boss of you

Meathead< if that is how you remember how our dialogues have gone .. then good for you! lol i am joking a bit bud.

I have been a M.Dareus fan since May and i do billieve i actually wished him here. And now we are voting for nfl player of week. I am awesomer. go bills!

Bigger is better. I think a huge move in the right direction this summer - and one that did not go over very well here - was letting Hangman go. I'm still a bit torn on it, myself. But you can't argue with the results so far. The line play is very solid, and they've proven flexible enough to overcome adversity twice. That said - get well Hairston and Bell.

Did anyone read this QB? It's all on Fitz!

This gives a good dose of reality.

" has to get the ball out so quickly because Buffalo’s offensive line is the second-worst in the league at allowing pass pressure within three seconds in the pocket. "

Our line is vastly improved, but I think the system and Fitz's play has made them look even better. I say we are in the middle of the pack, but not the best.

This gives a good dose of reality.

" has to get the ball out so quickly because Buffalo's offensive line is the second-worst in the league at allowing pass pressure within three seconds in the pocket. "

Our line is vastly improved, but I think the system and Fitz's play has made them look even better. I say we are in the middle of the pack, but not the best.

So many posters here just don't get it, and probably never will!

What does it say about an offensive line when two starters go out (LT& RT)and they still play well, this in itself would usually decimate a team. The Washington Redskins come to mind. Then the backup LT who is a rookie plays well, then he goes out and the guard moves over to LT and the line still plays well.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Fitz and Fred make that line look so much better then actually it is. Fitz has an uncanny ability to find the open receiver and deliver the ball to him in 3 seconds or under, so yea...he earned his payday!

QB

""The team that takes the shortest amount of time to throw is the Buffalo Bills. Fitzpatrick, also a top-10 quarterback according to Total QBR, has to get the ball out so quickly because Buffalo's offensive line is the second-worst in the league at allowing pass pressure within three seconds in the pocket.""

Just wanted to add this:

http://articles.nyda...cks-chris-canty

The NY Giants changed their style of defensive play just for Fitz.

""The Giants' pass rush won't necessarily surrender Sunday, but it will change tactics. Big Blue has piled up 11 sacks since Umenyiora's Week 4 return, but isn't likely to get many against Buffalo. On average, Fitzpatrick fires the ball just 1.5 seconds after taking the snap, Umenyiora said.

"On set plays," Umenyiora said, "nobody can get to him."

A great QB can make an average line look good, if you don't have a great QB...you had better have a damn good offensive line :D

Edited by Fear the Beard

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. The resuscitation of this thread really makes you wonder what the motivation is for those who want to resuscitate it.

The Bills have 13 man-games lost to injury on the offensive line.

They're down their starting center and their starting left tackle. At the same time they were down their top swing tackle. Previous to that, Urbik missed two games at right guard.

They had their best O-lineman starting three games at left tackle and then tried to play him at center.

How do you think the Jets O-line would be playing without Mangold and D Ferguson (and whomever their top swing tackle is)?

What offensive line in the NFL would be playing well with injuries equivalent to what the Bills have suffered? The answer is none.

There isn't a great offensive line in the NFL today… much less one that would be able to overcome a slew of injuries to key starters.

IMO, the Bills O-line has held up fairly well considering the injuries and the shuffling that has resulted from them.

But my point isn't about how good the O-line is now.

My point is why would someone want to reprise this thread after the team has suffered a slew of injuries? There's only a few possible explanations and none of them have to do with seeking out the truth of the matter.

Of all the regular QB's who have played pretty much all season, two are tied for the fewest sacks with only 14- Matt Hasselbeck and none other than Ryan Fitzpatrick. I just wanted to say that despite the shuffling and the inexperience, that the OL has had one hell of a year. Not to mention they were blocking for the leading rusher in the league before he went down. Re-sign Bell (at a reasonable price), let Hairston and Pears duke it out for playing time at RT and keep the other one for depth. This is a good unit and thankfully one that need not be addressed in the first few rounds. When is the last time we could say that?

It's not our OL that is protecting our QB. It's our play calling.

I hear this but I'm not sure I understand what it means. And was play-calling responsible for Jackson averaging over 5 yards a carry? Or is he the best running back since Barry Sanders? Or is the offensive line better than you think it is?

And if you mean that the offense is designed for Fitz to get rid of the ball quicker, then he must make his reads quicker than any QB in the league and his numbers at this point are even more impressive considering his coach doesn't allow him to wait as long as anyone else to throw the ball. Maybe we just got a steal with that new contract. Or maybe the offensive line is better than you think it is.

It's not our OL that is protecting our QB. It's our play calling.

Its not the play calling, its Fitz's ability to find the open receiver and get him the ball in 3 seconds or under.

NY Giants Osi Umenyiora stated that "nobody can get to Fitzpatrick on set plays" "he gets the ball out in under 1.5 seconds"". The Giants changed their style of pass rushing when they played Buffalo, they stated they knew they probably wouldn't get many sacks so they just tried to get pressure and get their hands up in the passing lanes.