Nobody Circles the Wagons

Mark80

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, it's Ithaca College, but I didn't go there. I went to a different university that's also located in Ithaca.

gotcha, it is Cornell University and Ithaca College. Nice and hilly there just south of Cayuga Lake.

To add insult to injury, a quote from TMQ (who is nowhere near as funny as he used to be)...

"And no, I don't know what "Bills" are, either. This has been lost to the mists of history. Perhaps the team was originally called the Buffalo Williams."

How can he not know how the Bills got their name? Is he just playing stupid to try to be funny? If that is the case, then he is just being stupid.

The OP's historical reference is a valid one, but not the genesis of Berman's famous phrase. CB has explained a couple of times about a kid in his neighborhood named Billy and a game they used to play called Circle the Wagons. He didn't know how the name came about but it was basically a game of outdoor musical chairs. Instead of chairs They would use the little red wagons that kids used to pull around.

Anyway, this kid Billy was the smallest/weakest kid in the group but he would always manage to win the games and CB was amazed by this. Eventually one of the parents said something like "Nobody plays Circle the Wagons like Billy" and Berman always remembered the phrase. He said he used it on the Bills not only for the Billy reference but also for the fact that like the original Billy, the Bills always seemed to be the underdog but somehow managed to come out on top.

I remember the show when he explained it and he said that the name for the game "Circle the Wagons" may have come from the old west but he couldn't remember how the street game originally got named. He then stated that the reason he used the phrase on the show was this kid named Billy. He actually brought him on set for a second and shook his hand. It was pretty cool. Don't ask me how I remember details like this but I remember the show was on the same night that the Jays and Braves played the first ever World Series game outside US borders. Maybe that will make it findable on Youtube.

I think Crayonz is bein' real and Tom is yankin' us.. :blink:

This must be the paradox!:w00t:

We're dooooomed!

I dunno… I'm thinkin' this is another Crayonz ruse… just a more elaborate one.

I'm glad Buffalo's franchise was around first and Canada got stuck with the stupid Cavalry Flames.

And then he reverted back to a less elaborate one.

Just guessing.