Amazing Race is Back

Clippers of Nfl

Second.... The Amazing part of this week was how many teams totally missed the sign at the orphanage. If nothing else thru all the seasons of this game, players should know they have to pay attention to everything.

See, I disagree. I thought it was dumb. Just a random sign sitting on a table? The clue says to give your money to the orphanage, but a random sign on a table that was MOVING all the time is supposed to be paid attention to? Heck, one time a team went up, the sign was SIDEWAYS. I don't think that was right, personally, although I don't know if it affected who would've been eliminated or not - I didn't pay close enough attention.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See, I disagree. I thought it was dumb. Just a random sign sitting on a table? The clue says to give your money to the orphanage, but a random sign on a table that was MOVING all the time is supposed to be paid attention to? Heck, one time a team went up, the sign was SIDEWAYS. I don't think that was right, personally, although I don't know if it affected who would've been eliminated or not - I didn't pay close enough attention.

I didn't notice the sign being shifted at all.

It was right there. It's not like they put it underneath the tablecloth.

Okay.

The fact that it is slow paced, the fact that the show is boring, the fact that there are people in the world mentally incapable of doing what we can do any day of the week (See the monkey guy on the Southeast Asia episode) the fact that my siblings forced me to watch it when I could be watching Deadliest Warrior, and the fact that it is getting undeserved love.

Slow paced?? Seriously? I guess we just see it (completely) differently, cause it seems like it moves at a nice pace from start to finish, to me. You don't really sound appreciative of other cultures, so I guess if that's the case you're probably going to miss out on a lot of the appeal.

First, Ma and Pa. Excellent recovery even tho that wasn't much of a Speed Bump.... Forgot to mention last week that Ma sounds so much like the mother on "That 70s Show." It's really uncanny.

Second.... The Amazing part of this week was how many teams totally missed the sign at the orphanage. If nothing else thru all the seasons of this game, players should know they have to pay attention to everything. Notes at the competition sites, need to read your clues in their entirety, your eyes need to be peeled. There were a couple of people who seemed to notice the sign in its rectangle-ness (the guy racing with Sandy looked right toward it the first time they were there!) and their eyes just failed to process a single word even when it was in English. Some of them just don't seem to get that this isn't a show that will let anything slide; if you miss doing something, you've gotta go back and do it, even if it means mopeding 100 miles backtrack and another 100 miles like the Cowboys last season.

Definitely developed a few likeable teams tonight after last week's initial ep. The surfer guys were the first to notice on their own and they were excited to give the orphanage the last of their money, as if they were only sorry that they hadn't thought to do that on their own. Liked that the Asian girl and slightly-creepy-looking-guy took it so much to heart that they screwed up and this was their comeuppance to a race that to that point had been going so easy for them.

The gay guy in the shake it challenge? Worst dancing ever. Aren't gay guys supposed to have rhythm?

And this week's team drama attack, the brother and sister team getting at each other's throats so early on does not bode well for when the challenges get tougher and more competitive. It's one thing for the dancers to be peeved at each other over a lost passport last week. That was something. These two were just barking at each other over nothing. (Sorry, I suck with names --- unless there's a hot girl involved :blush: --- and with camera time so split up between them all, I'm not going to retain names as such until it gets down to ~ five teams.)

Dude, the argument between the bro and sister was maybe the most annoying segment on this show...EVER lol. That was the most pointless, non-productive discussion/debate/argument in history.

I'm with you about the sign...I can't imagine being on the race and not being observant of every single detail along each leg. How only one or two of the teams actually read it accurately is beyond me!

Slow paced?? Seriously? I guess we just see it (completely) differently, cause it seems like it moves at a nice pace from start to finish, to me. You don't really sound appreciative of other cultures, so I guess if that's the case you're probably going to miss out on a lot of the appeal.

Dude, the argument between the bro and sister was maybe the most annoying segment on this show...EVER lol. That was the most pointless, non-productive discussion/debate/argument in history.

I'm with you about the sign...I can't imagine being on the race and not being observant of every single detail along each leg. How only one or two of the teams actually read it accurately is beyond me!

It's like some of them actually read it and inferred that they had to give all of the money that they earned in the challenge, not all of their money which is what the sign said. You need to do everything literally; this is not a show that pussyfoots with meanings.

When Ethan said 'This money is all going to charity, which I'm all about!' it was kind of a douchebag moment. The 30,000 in currency was probably equivalent to like 10 bucks, maybe? I think they were one of the teams that did notice the sign the first time too. They were just thinking almost entirely of themselves. Charity is not what Ethan is all about.

I didn't notice the sign being shifted at all.

It was right there. It's not like they put it underneath the tablecloth.

No, it wasn't under the tablecloth, but there were a couple of times that it was perpendicular to the table.

Has there ever been a time in the Race where a sign on a table over-rode what the actual clue said...? I think when 9 of 11 teams make the exact same mistake, it's a problem with the game and not the players.

The 30,000 in currency was probably equivalent to like 10 bucks, maybe?

boy it would be nice if there was a way to find out. Maybe someone can get in touch with Sue, she may know how to use Google to find out.

Maybe if people were not given the clue until they turned over all their money there would have been a different outcome. The kids were handing over the clues once they had the envelopes.

boy it would be nice if there was a way to find out. Maybe someone can get in touch with Sue, she may know how to use Google to find out.

Maybe if people were not given the clue until they turned over all their money there would have been a different outcome. The kids were handing over the clues once they had the envelopes.

:lol:

I don 't remember what they were collecting. The Philippines uses the Philippine peso, and converting 30,000 to the USD = $684.57. So I don't think that's it. The Ph. peso is divided into 100 centavos --- so carrying the decimal place over would bring the total to $6.85 (rounding up). But "centavo" doesn't ring any bells re: the currency they were collecting last night.

The overall outcame was affected. The last two teams to get to the check-in initially were the gay couple (last) and Vegas show girls (second-to-last). It would've been Vegas show girls going home instead of Ethan and Jenna.

I don't have much sympathy because, as others have stated, reading directions carefully is and always has been an integral part of the race.

However, I can't think of any previous challenges where you could get your next clue without successfully completing the challenge in it's entirety so I feel this was really out of the spirit of the race. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't have much sympathy because, as others have stated, reading directions carefully is and always has been an integral part of the race.

I think that's the point though -- everyone DID read the directions. And nowhere did they say "Make sure you read the sign on the orphanage table." The clue said to go earn 30,000 Indonesian Rupees (worth less than $4 for James benefit ;) ), and to give that to the orphanage, right? If the clue itself said to give all of the money on you to the orphanage, then great. But I don't believe it did.

The overall outcame was affected. The last two teams to get to the check-in initially were the gay couple (last) and Vegas show girls (second-to-last). It would've been Vegas show girls going home instead of Ethan and Jenna.

However, I can't think of any previous challenges where you could get your next clue without successfully completing the challenge in it's entirety so I feel this was really out of the spirit of the race. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

My guess is that the producers feel that the format has been the same for so long, that the teams have gone to (or likely will be on) autopilot or worse the viewers will think they know exactly what's coming up next and start tuning out. (Were the ratings down some for last year's race?)

They're only 2 weeks in and have already added several twists - non-elimation 1st leg, double elimination next leg, the sign on the table. Also, when they were in Taipei and had to look for the 'clue' in the baloons on the video screen, I hadn't seen that before. I'd only seen where they either find them in clue boxes or are given them (sometimes without realizing they'd received all of them - the snapple bottle caps come to mind); I don't recall them having to look for a clue in a random location with no particular indication of where or what the clue might be (other than 'look up'). That seems to be more of the way they work the challenges.

I don't watch the show as religiously as some here do, so I may be off base on the baloon video screen, but the other twists were definitely new.

And turning in the money was what they had to do prior to proceeding on to the pit stop. Similar to how some teams have been told they must walk to the next pit stop, took a cab, and had to go back and do it the right way. Though having instructions broken into 2 separate pieces was a new twist.

And was anybody else surprised that the teams apparently don't talk to each other at pit stops? Phil had told ma & pa about the double elimination leg and nobody else was aware of it until they read their clue. Don't they see each other at the pit stop, did they just get in so late everyone else had already gone to bed, or was that team hid from the rest of the teams to add a bit of anxiety while hanging at the airport?

There was one season where a team ended up at the pitstop before completeing the leg, they either saw the pit stop, or they followed another team there. They ended up having to go back and complete the last challenge before being checked in.

I'd only seen where they either find them in clue boxes or are given them (sometimes without realizing they'd received all of them - the snapple bottle caps come to mind); I don't recall them having to look for a clue in a random location with no particular indication of where or what the clue might be (other than 'look up'). That seems to be more of the way they work the challenges.....

And was anybody else surprised that the teams apparently don't talk to each other at pit stops? Phil had told ma & pa about the double elimination leg and nobody else was aware of it until they read their clue. Don't they see each other at the pit stop, did they just get in so late everyone else had already gone to bed, or was that team hid from the rest of the teams to add a bit of anxiety while hanging at the airport?

There was a recent season where the clue was baked into a loaf of bread. I remember teams going into a bakery, being handed a loaf of bread, and wondering where the clue was. You had to break your loaf in half to get the next clue.

It's possible everyone went to bed. From articles I read, even though it shows teams leaving 12 hours later, it could be 36 hours. It depends on what the producers decide. There was even a couple of seasons where teams were leaving for the next leg, before other teams finished the previous leg. Season 1 comes to mind if I remember correctly, the 3rd place team was still working on a leg in Alaska, while the first two teams were at the finish line.

Found it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Race_1#endnote_8

its just a show guys.

would i be mad if i was eliminated? yes.

but c'mon ..... at the end of the day the sign was at the freaking table.

they said they would twist you....

ps. most of the couples who made the mistake of not giving all their money, went back and made it.

moral of the story. "be good be fast" and maybe, just maybe you could have enough time to overcome a mistake...

It's like some of them actually read it and inferred that they had to give all of the money that they earned in the challenge, not all of their money which is what the sign said. You need to do everything literally; this is not a show that pussyfoots with meanings.

When Ethan said 'This money is all going to charity, which I'm all about!' it was kind of a douchebag moment. The 30,000 in currency was probably equivalent to like 10 bucks, maybe? I think they were one of the teams that did notice the sign the first time too. They were just thinking almost entirely of themselves. Charity is not what Ethan is all about.

Exactly, cause you could tell when Phil asked them, "did you give ALL the money in your possession to the orphanage?" I don't remember any of the teams doing a WTF to Phil. They all acted as if they had read the sign, they just didn't follow it literally.

I've never seen a leg where THAT many teams had to go back and fix something...pretty wild.

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly, cause you could tell when Phil asked them, "did you give ALL the money in your possession to the orphanage?" I don't remember any of the teams doing a WTF to Phil. They all acted as if they had read the sign, they just didn't follow it literally.

I've never seen a leg where THAT many teams had to go back and fix something...pretty wild.

good point. it was just like 6 lines. most read it then and just ignored it or assumed.

anyway,

the vegas girls are out......damn!!!!

one was really hot (lisa in blue), not single mom cry baby

good point. it was just like 6 lines. most read it then and just ignored it or assumed.

anyway,

the vegas girls are out......damn!!!!

one was really hot (lisa in blue), not single mom cry baby

That really sucked...those were some sexy dames! I hate when the hot chicks get eliminated early...

• 2 weeks later...

my favorite couple got eliminated yesterday. the girl twins

i have always been amused/interested in twins.

this was a good episode.

That was pretty unusual how much disparity there was in the travel arrangements of the teams. You had like a 6+hr spread in time from when the first bus left to when the last finally got going. Then the twins get not one, but TWO free taxi rides? Wow, they had a fighting chance to pull that off. I was really glad to see them take so much joy in hanging with the elephants...that's always been my one criticism of the contestants is when they don't appreciate the cultures they are visiting and take a minute here and there to smell the roses. The twins were appreciative and respectful, and they ran a good race :)

if they were fat asses would they get free rides??

i was rooting for them.

the dad with the young son thinks hes special. dont like him.

That dad is a major A-HOLE! Did you see him throw his son under the bus when he couldn't reassemble that mini shrine thing...the kid SAID they should write down directions when they were there, but the dad blew him off. Then when the kid couldn't do it, the dad goes, "don't blame me for this one...it's not his forte". WTF??

That was pretty unusual how much disparity there was in the travel arrangements of the teams. You had like a 6+hr spread in time from when the first bus left to when the last finally got going. Then the twins get not one, but TWO free taxi rides? Wow, they had a fighting chance to pull that off. I was really glad to see them take so much joy in hanging with the elephants...that's always been my one criticism of the contestants is when they don't appreciate the cultures they are visiting and take a minute here and there to smell the roses. The twins were appreciative and respectful, and they ran a good race :)

Also to note, the disparity in $ usage for similar travel. What the hell was that with the taxi ride that cost US$150. Holy stevestojan! Did the dollar fall that much?!?

The surfers made a horrible move going to what was apparently a school for directions. Chick takes the cluecard, and tells them she'll be right back old... then another girl shows up and says the first is teaching a class. Seriously, WTF? You don't do that even to people who aren't in a race. But 1) if you're in a race, you ask someone who drives around for a living. Dumb, and then went from 1st to 6th? The father and son really screwed themselves over switching buses. Rule 2) make damn sure you know the rules.

The disparity of the travel timings ain't a problem for me.... Seeing those "X does not open until 8 a.m." signs has really gotta suck for people who've built up leads. More than one episode in a row with one of those lead-erasers is really unfair.

I liked the twins personalities, but they made way too many mistakes where they were by far the last to finish challenges e.g. the telephone quote and setting up the umbrellas & chairs. They got such lucky breaks with the free cab rides. Attractive females have such a huge advantage in this show it's not even funny; if they ever got a pair that had a brain between them or any motor skills....

And, wow, like a quarter of the teams are gone and they're still in friggin' southeast Asia. I dunno. I just started watching the show last season, but it just seems like they've spent an undue amount of time in this region. Six weeks, four eliminations. Seven teams left and they are only just heading to the second continent.