What's up with us?

Slackware

I have to pose a question here. Fans often use the word "us" and "we" when we talk about our favorite team. I personally have done this myself, but I fight it as much as I can. My issue is that I don't believe that we are part of the team exactly. Unless you are on the coaching staff, administrative staff, (GM and those above him and such) scouting staff, 53-man roster, reserve list, or practice squad, you are not officially part of the team by any means. Because of the seahawks retiring the #12 in favor of the fans being considered the 12th man, season ticket holders can make a case for being a factor for the team. Even before that of course, but the silent snap count (tapping the foot in the shotgun like john elway) has eliminated some of the issues of a loud crowd of cheering fans but false starts can still happen because of the noise blocking out the snap count. Nonetheless, they still arent actually apart of the team. Fans who go to 1 or 2 games a year or spend the season watching the games on tv surely dont have justification for saying "we" or "us."

So my question is, why in the heck do so many fans say "us" or "we" in reference to their favorite team, such as " WE are going to beat the patriots," or "WE need to draft some solid defensive players," or "They won't beat US."? I've always been curious as to why this is said.

Edited by Slackware

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to pose a question here. Fans often use the word "us" and "we" when we talk about our favorite team. I personally have done this myself, but I fight it as much as I can. My issue is that I don't believe that we are part of the team exactly. Unless you are on the coaching staff, administrative staff, (GM and those above him and such) scouting staff, 53-man roster, reserve list, or practice squad, you are not officially part of the team by any means. Because of the seahawks retiring the #12 in favor of the fans being considered the 12th man, season ticket holders can make a case for being a factor for the team. Even before that of course, but the silent snap count (tapping the foot in the shotgun like john elway) has eliminated some of the issues of a loud crowd of cheering fans but false starts can still happen because of the noise blocking out the snap count. Nonetheless, they still arent actually apart of the team. Fans who go to 1 or 2 games a year or spend the season watching the games on tv surely dont have justification for saying "we" or "us."

So my question is, why in the heck do so many fans say "us" or "we" in reference to their favorite team, such as " WE are going to beat the patriots," or "WE need to draft some solid defensive players," or "They won't beat US."? I've always been curious as to why this is said.

Because most of us have been financial and emotional contributors. Without financial and emotional support, the team couldn't exist.

Because most of us have been financial and emotional contributors. Without financial and emotional support, the team couldn't exist.

Correct. Ralph has acknowledged as much by putting "The 12th Man" on the Wall of Fame. Also, if you've been in the stadium on many gamedays over the years, you know without a doubt that the crowd has an impact on the other team's play. I have no problem with "we".

I understand what you guys are getting at but just because you love the team, buy the apparel and go to the games as much as you can, doesnt make you apart of the team. It makes you a fan. There is a clear line and i dont believe that the existance of a football team is fully dependant upon the fans. There will always be fans. Having a football team is a good business decision.

ive been to maybe about a bakers dozen bills games in my life. about 5 training camps and i haven't lived in buffalo since i was 4. I go to buffalo maybe once a year for a couple of weeks (relatives) and i totally disagree with your

"Fans who go to 1 or 2 games a year or spend the season watching the games on tv surely don't have justification for saying "we" or "us." "

I and anyone else have full justification for saying we or us. I don't miss one game on tv, i put all my heart into cheering for them even if they only win 2 games. I wear my uniforms and hat on mondays after a loss or a win. I always wear my hat everyday at work and i work a lot. i travel for a tv show and i support my bills from small little kentucky cities or oklahoma. People always come up to me saying, bills huh? you guys suck. But i stick up for my team, our team. I believe if it wasn't for fans like us, there would be no bills. If we weren't loyal fans and if we didn't show our pride this team wouldn't exist. It probably would be in LA already. So yes, we are the bills, we are a part of them as much as my future kids, my nephews who already is sporting a jersey and a hat.

We will always be apart of Buffalo Bills and we will win tomorrow. 24 - 21 (low scoring game)

Edited by brenty

I understand what you guys are getting at but just because you love the team, buy the apparel and go to the games as much as you can, doesnt make you apart of the team. It makes you a fan. There is a clear line and i dont believe that the existance of a football team is fully dependant upon the fans. There will always be fans. Having a football team is a good business decision.

You sir are what we call a "marginal fan"<_<

Because in 1960, I started following the Bills with Ralph Wilson as owner, Buster Ramsey as coach, Richie Lucas as Qb and Mack Yoho as kicker. By 1965, I was rooting for Jack Kemp as QB, Pete Gogolak as kicker and of course, Ralph winning the AFL championship. By 1970, it was John Rauch, O.J. Simpson and Ralph. Since then we have seen Joe Ferguson, Joe Cribbs, Monte Ledbetter, Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Bill Polian, Wade Phillips, Doug Flutie, et al and Ralph. In fact, except for Eddie Abramowski and Van Miller, for a long time, I have been rooting for the Bills (and very importantly spending money on the Bills for 51 years). So you might argue that Namaan Roosevelt can say "we" and I have no right to do so, but I disagree. I think when I say "we', I am talking about Ralph and me and about 80000 other die hard Bills fans that have been there through the up years and down years and

in-between year and when contract workers like Drew Bledsoe leave they have nothing positive to say about the team, the city or the fans. So, I will continue to say we.

Correct. Ralph has acknowledged as much by putting "The 12th Man" on the Wall of Fame. Also, if you've been in the stadium on many gamedays over the years, you know without a doubt that the crowd has an impact on the other team's play. I have no problem with "we".

YE OLE has seen this question raised many times over the years, and inevitably there are a few people out there who just can't stand the people who refer to the team as "we" or "us" etc. I'm never sure why it sticks in the craw of some to such a large extent. As you say "The 12th Man" resides on the Wall of Fame and it's a certainty that fans do play a role in a team's success and failure. Especially in this new era of social media, the interactions between fans and players have increased infinitely. Take a look at the BillsMafia movement that has exploded on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/TheBillsMafia This all stemmed from certain talking heads in the media continuing to dog Stevie Johnson after his drop against Pittsburgh. In this day and age, Chan's statement rings true, "You dog one of us, you dog all of us." I'm of the belief that fans have always had a big part in the team, but it's increasingly so in this new interactive world.

It's called "basking in reflected glory". It is natural and psychologically healthy for people to associate themselves with others who are more successful, saying "we" and "us" etc. even when they didn't contribute to the success. Studies have shown that this is done less after a team's loss. "We won!" and "they lost!" is completely normal. What is abnormal is all of the fans who say "we" and "us" after the team loses, or loses for a long time.... :devil:

There's definitely an energy that comes from the crowd, and the team can feed off that energy. Anyone who doesn't think the crowd was a factor in the greatest comeback game was not there. Yes, "We" may not be on staff with the Bills, but we are a part of the Buffal Bills experience!

Edited by Mr_Blizzard

Getting a box seat is a good business decision.

Wearing fashionable clothes while entertaining clients at a Bills game is a good business decision.

Being out there in a seat freezing your butt off making a lot of noise for the team, buying merchandise to support them, watching every moment on the NFL's broadcasts, and going to an enemy stadium to cheer on the Bills all our decisions to support the team that is OURS. Point blank, our team, because we make it so.

Edited by BmoreBills

Well, I have been a season ticket holder and haven't missed a single home game since I moved back from Vegas during the Mularky years. Up until last year (because of my job) I haven't missed a single away game on TV since the Jim Kelly days. I stay at every game and NEVER leave early no matter how far they are down. I have been to games when half the stadium Was empty during the Van Pelt, Collins, Johnson years in the middle of winter when there's puddles of half slush freezing your feet solid in the front row of the end zones when we had no shot of making the playoffs. I bleed Bills blue. I BILLIEVE that every start of the season is a new hope and possibility for US to win a SuperBowl once and for all. I LOVE the City of Buffalo and know that when OUR teams are relevant, the City is rejuvinated and ALIVE. I BILLIEVE WE will make it to the promised land some day and I WILL be a part of it. I've been a supporter of this team my entire 32 years on this planet and I WONT give up on them. The only thing I want in return is to be acknowledged and told that we have the best fans in sports when they finally win. I want the players to BILLIEVE that with US fans bringing the noise each and every week when on Defense that WE can help them get the other teams offense off the field. I BILLIEVE that when US fans get LOUD and PROUD and sing the SHOUT song after a TD that the players get energized and FEED off of our energy. I am a BILLS fan. I am loud. I am proud. I'll always BELLIEVE in my team. I request SHOUT at every wedding I ever attend and love how it makes EVERYONE crazy because it's something we all have in common. I will be more excited than ever to have kids and pass on my love for this team to them, knowing that my Bills fan legacy will live on long after I'm gone.

GO BILLS!!!!!!

Well, I have been a season ticket holder and haven't missed a single home game since I moved back from Vegas during the Mularky years. Up until last year (because of my job) I haven't missed a single away game on TV since the Jim Kelly days. I stay at every game and NEVER leave early no matter how far they are down. I have been to games when half the stadium Was empty during the Van Pelt, Collins, Johnson years in the middle of winter when there's puddles of half slush freezing your feet solid in the front row of the end zones when we had no shot of making the playoffs. I bleed Bills blue. I BILLIEVE that every start of the season is a new hope and possibility for US to win a SuperBowl once and for all. I LOVE the City of Buffalo and know that when OUR teams are relevant, the City is rejuvinated and ALIVE. I BILLIEVE WE will make it to the promised land some day and I WILL be a part of it. I've been a supporter of this team my entire 32 years on this planet and I WONT give up on them. The only thing I want in return is to be acknowledged and told that we have the best fans in sports when they finally win. I want the players to BILLIEVE that with US fans bringing the noise each and every week when on Defense that WE can help them get the other teams offense off the field. I BILLIEVE that when US fans get LOUD and PROUD and sing the SHOUT song after a TD that the players get energized and FEED off of our energy. I am a BILLS fan. I am loud. I am proud. I'll always BELLIEVE in my team. I request SHOUT at every wedding I ever attend and love how it makes EVERYONE crazy because it's something we all have in common. I will be more excited than ever to have kids and pass on my love for this team to them, knowing that my Bills fan legacy will live on long after I'm gone.

GO BILLS!!!!!!

I get a lot of thank yous from people for my military service, but I want to thank YOU for making it possible for the Bills to remain in Buffalo. It is because of fans like you who are able to go to the home games that stir the drink, so to speak!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

You sir are what we call a "marginal fan"<_<

Hah. I have successfully acomplished my goal here. While I do not fully support using we or us in reference to our team, I am, in effect, a hypocrite because I do it frequently enough myself. I am not a marginal fan. I am a newer bills fan, this is true, but I am not a fair weather fan. I have always liked the bills, but I do not treat myself as part of the team based upon the love I have for it. But, what I have done, is posted a question that brought true fans out of the woodwork. I sought an answer, and I have received it. Just wanted to see what kinda folks I was dealing with here. Kudos to all that took the bait.