Ryan Fitzpatrick's 1st NFL game

Albany,n.y.

How many of you can remember when Ryan Fitzpatrick was a rookie 7th round pick who was forced into his 1st NFL game week 12 of the 2005 season? Was it a preview of the future? Unlike Bills QBs who embarrassed themselves when the Bills put them into their 1st NFL games, (remember Losman, Brohm and all the others who "just needed more time") Fitzpatick lit it up. Here is the link, followed by some highlights.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=251127034

HOUSTON (AP) -- Playing in an NFL game was new to St. Louis Rams rookie quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. Coming back from a 21-point deficit wasn't.

It was over when ...

Ryan Fitzpatrick threw a 56-yard touchdown pass to Kevin Curtis in overtime to give the Rams a 33-27 win.

Game ball goes to ...

Third-string QB Fitzpatrick, who came off the bench to see the first NFL action of his career and helped lead the Rams' comeback, going 19-of-30 for 310 yards and three touchdowns, including the game-winning toss in OT.

ESPN's take ...

The Rams stole a game today and it was amazing to watch the rookie get in there and do his thing. Receivers Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce put in work and made his day a lot easier, but they couldn't have done it without him. My hat's off to the Rams, because they easily could have let up and lost this game to the Texans but they refused to lose. The Texans shouldn't have lost this game, though. They have to learn to come through in the clutch.

-- Eric Allen

The Rams' third-stringer took over for injured backup Jamie Martin on Sunday and then threw a 56-yard touchdown pass to Kevin Curtis in overtime to cap an improbable comeback and give the Rams a 33-27 win over the Houston Texans.

The seventh-round pick from Harvard stayed calm by thinking back to his freshman year and first college start when he rallied the Crimson from a 21-0 halftime deficit for a 31-21 win over Dartmouth. At the time it was the biggest comeback in Harvard's 128-year history.

"I was actually thinking about that game," Fitzpatrick said. "The biggest thing when you're in those situations is you need to get everyone around you fired up."

"I knew there was no way we were going to lose that game," Fitzpatrick said. "You sort of get that feeling out there, of invincibility, with the way the offense was playing late and the way the defense really stepped up."

The Rams recovered from a horrible first half, with just 117 yards and six first downs, to gain 312 yards and 16 first downs in the second half.

Fitzpatrick proved an able replacement after backup Martin left late in the first quarter with a blow to the head. He was 19-of-30 for 310 yards and three touchdowns in three quarters, despite being sacked five times.

Fitzpatrick's performance is even more impressive considering that the Rams played the entire second half without Pro Bowl left tackle Orlando Pace, who left the game in the second quarter with a hamstring injury.

"It was a great win playing a rookie secondary, a rookie quarterback and a makeshift offensive line," interim coach Joe Vitt said. "It wasn't pretty, but we got it done."

How many of you can remember when Ryan Fitzpatrick was a rookie 7th round pick who was forced into his 1st NFL game week 12 of the 2005 season? Was it a preview of the future? Unlike Bills QBs who embarrassed themselves when the Bills put them into their 1st NFL games, (remember Losman, Brohm and all the others who "just needed more time") Fitzpatick lit it up. Here is the link, followed by some highlights.

HOUSTON (AP) -- Playing in an NFL game was new to St. Louis Rams rookie quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. Coming back from a 21-point deficit wasn't.

It was over when ...

Ryan Fitzpatrick threw a 56-yard touchdown pass to Kevin Curtis in overtime to give the Rams a 33-27 win.

Game ball goes to ...

Third-string QB Fitzpatrick, who came off the bench to see the first NFL action of his career and helped lead the Rams' comeback, going 19-of-30 for 310 yards and three touchdowns, including the game-winning toss in OT.

ESPN's take ...

The Rams stole a game today and it was amazing to watch the rookie get in there and do his thing. Receivers Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce put in work and made his day a lot easier, but they couldn't have done it without him. My hat's off to the Rams, because they easily could have let up and lost this game to the Texans but they refused to lose. The Texans shouldn't have lost this game, though. They have to learn to come through in the clutch.

-- Eric Allen

The Rams' third-stringer took over for injured backup Jamie Martin on Sunday and then threw a 56-yard touchdown pass to Kevin Curtis in overtime to cap an improbable comeback and give the Rams a 33-27 win over the Houston Texans.

The seventh-round pick from Harvard stayed calm by thinking back to his freshman year and first college start when he rallied the Crimson from a 21-0 halftime deficit for a 31-21 win over Dartmouth. At the time it was the biggest comeback in Harvard's 128-year history.

"I was actually thinking about that game," Fitzpatrick said. "The biggest thing when you're in those situations is you need to get everyone around you fired up."

"I knew there was no way we were going to lose that game," Fitzpatrick said. "You sort of get that feeling out there, of invincibility, with the way the offense was playing late and the way the defense really stepped up."

The Rams recovered from a horrible first half, with just 117 yards and six first downs, to gain 312 yards and 16 first downs in the second half.

Fitzpatrick proved an able replacement after backup Martin left late in the first quarter with a blow to the head. He was 19-of-30 for 310 yards and three touchdowns in three quarters, despite being sacked five times.

Fitzpatrick's performance is even more impressive considering that the Rams played the entire second half without Pro Bowl left tackle Orlando Pace, who left the game in the second quarter with a hamstring injury.

"It was a great win playing a rookie secondary, a rookie quarterback and a makeshift offensive line," interim coach Joe Vitt said. "It wasn't pretty, but we got it done."

I think Fitz has the potential to be one of the Bills all-time great QBs.

Let's keep him healthy and re-signed!

Great post! I remember that game very clearly. I also remember that the sports reporters made a big deal out of the fact that he was from Harvard. After that first game, he didn't do nearly as well. The commentators and analysts all said that teams could game plan for him after seeing him play. I have always been a big Fitz fan though, and I am psyched that he is the Bill's quarterback.

IIRC, the first year I had the NFL Network and was able to see combine coverage was the year Fitzy was in the draft. I remember thinking he actually looked pretty good during some of the drills. The commentators didn't seem too impressed with his prospects in the draft, though lol.

It was over when ...

Game ball goes to ...

ESPN's take ...

-- Eric Allen

I remember that, in fact I think he ended up playing a few games that season and looked pretty good. I remember picking up a few of his rookie cards and stashing them just in case he turned out to be anything. Now I have to remember where I stashed them. lol

How many of you can remember when Ryan Fitzpatrick was a rookie 7th round pick who was forced into his 1st NFL game week 12 of the 2005 season?

*raises hand* But then, I live in St Louis. On the strength of that game, Fitz is still remembered fondly by knowledgeable Rams fans and the decision to trade him to Cincy was mildly controversial.

What's more interesting is what Fitz has said publically about that game. He acknowledges that he "wasn't ready to play in the NFL" at that time, and attributes his current success to having time to sit behind Bulgar and Carson Palmer and learn.

I still think Fitz is a system QB - a guy who can play very well in the right system, and who will look average or poor in a system that does not suit him. There is no shame in that.

A number of very good and great QB have been system QB.