Buddy Nix on Fan 590 in Toronto

eme123

So they intentionally targeted Smith due to the rule change?

My sense before (from stuff Gailey said) was that that had nothing to do with it, and they kind of figured out after the fact that the rule change would make Smith a little more valuable.

You are correct. They did not target him because of the rule change, but because he is playmaker. The rule change gave the bonus of not having to blow a roster spot on a guy like Levi as 3rd QB.

Agreed.

I would move Evans down to good and move Reuben Brown and Winfield up to great.

Agreed.

I thought Antowain Smith was a good football player. Same goes for Jeff Burris. Thomas Smith was good too. That's my opinion.

So you base your opinions on the interview style points of the Bills' general manager, and I'm the ass?

Doesn't your curiosity pique one bit that Nix has been saying different things to different media outlets?

You had this part right... :rolleyes:

Nix is going to be judged on wins and losses, and has said as much himself. eBall having an opinion about the realative merits of a given interview performance hardly rated your response.

9 years and a ring. Pretty good career I'd say.

Rob Johnson has a SB ring too.

Edited by BobChalmers

Ron Wolf, the GM who made the Packers a Super Bowl team in the 1990s, said that he didn't care much about draft position either. He said a fair draft was getting one Pro Bowl type player - regardless of the round. He said a really great draft included 2 or more Pro Bowl type players. He said he didn't care if the 1st rounder was a bust... they just couldn't all be busts. One or more players each draft had to be more than just role players - they had to be impact players.

By this standard if Nix has had two drafts who has pro bowl potential from any round? Obviously an unfair question as it is very early but nobody from the first draft stands out with that potential yet. Dares certainly has the talent and is likely to get there. Spiller needs to have a breakout season.

Success rate in the 1st round is all over the place since 1990 for the Bills:

2010-C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson ?????

1996—Eric Moulds, WR, Mississippi St GREAT

2004—Lee Evans, WR, Wisconsin TRADED, GREAT

2007—Marshawn Lynch, RB, California GOOD

2003—Willis McGahee, RB, Miami FA, GOOD

2001—Nate Clements, CB, Ohio St FA, GOOD

1999—Antoine Winfield, CB, Ohio St FA, GOOD

1995—Reuben Brown, G, Pittsburgh GOOD

1992—John Fina, OL, Arizona GOOD

1991—Henry Jones, DB, Illinois GOOD

2006—Donte Whitner, S, Ohio St FA, AVERAGE

1993—Thomas Smith, DB, North Carolina AVERAGE

2008—Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy AVERAGE

2006-John McCargo, DT, North Carolina St (from Chicago) BUST

2004-J.P. Losman, QB, Tulane BUST

2002—Mike Williams, OT, Texas BUST

2000—Erik Flowers, DE, Arizona St BUST

1997—Antowain Smith, RB, Houston BUST

1994—Jeff Burris, DB, Notre Dame BUST

1990—James Williams, CB, Fresno St BUST

2005—NO PICK

1998—NO PICK

Marshawn--AVERAGE

Antowain Smith-AVG-GOOD--since he was at least as good as Marshawn and picked lower.

Burris=average

and no really great players picked since 1990...Moulds maybe borderline great...- but that says a lot.