Jones #2 receiver

Sig1Hunter

I have no problem with Jones getting a chance to start. Last year he played really good for a rookie, and I think he deserves a chance.

Easley still needs more time to develop and he will get an opportunity to play.

Parrish is much better as a slot receiver & Nelson is a good possession receiver, but is not a very fast receiver.

Good luck to Donald Jones, if Gailey feels he has earned it, then let's see what he can do.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heck, I keep worrying who is our #1 LT, RG and RT.....

Demetrius Bell - Who in his first real season playing LT committed no major penalties and did a decent job helping Fitz to pass for 3000 yards, Fred to run for almost 1000 yards in 7 games as a starter, and the team to average almost 20 points a game. Did he make mistakes? Yes ... Is he Pro Bowl quality? Not now and maybe never. But, he is as good of an offensive lineman as 3/5's of the DREAM TEAM's line.

Kraig Urbik - This 6'5" 2008 ESPN All American selection at guard had a poor first preseason game but then again there were not FTA's. He has won the praises of his coach and looked pretty good with the first team during the last three preseason games. He's young but if we look back on the offensive linemen we wish we had ... most had to start off with no experience and grow in their ability to play the game.

Eric Pears - He is 6'8" and has looked like he belongs in the NFL at RT. Yes, he too is an unknown ... guess during the next three or four weeks we will discover whether he can play.

So, since you are worrying who are LT, RG, and RT are I thought I'd introduce them to you.

The Eagles are starting two rookies plus they have moved a guard to tackle so it is not unusual in the NFL even among the so called elite teams to find offensive lines coming out of the preseason that lead to many questions ... plus their left tackle was a free agent overweight tight end out of Arkansas so who can imagine him as a LT.

We have lived too many years without a GM and coach ... we finally have two that want to win. I am giving them a chance and if this OL works we will have a good one for many years!

Did the coaches make the best decision on Trent Edwards last year to start the season? Or Cornell Green? Or CJ Spiller? Or Chris Ellis?

The coaches made the right decision to dump Trent and Green basically admitting their mistake from preseason. So, in my opinion that shows that they aren't going to keep playing guys who aren't going to win for them. As for Spiller, Lynch was the primary back in the beginning of the season and if I am not mistaken Fred Jackson was our go to guy for most of the year accumultating nearly 1000 yards.

Not sure where your thing with Chris Ellis is coming from because I don't remember him ever playing a significant role ... but then again I haven't had my morning coffee ... maybe Chan had him starting and playing all three DL positions while the other guys just sat on the bench .... but if I recall right he was cut midseason too.

Jones and Easley are pretty much interchangeable in my opinion. They have the same size, speed, and skill sets. While both have had problems holding on to the ball, Easley's biggest problem has been all the drops. Even easy ones. I think that is the sole reason Jones gets the start, plus Fitz seems to like him.

Personally I think they should have given Nelson more of a shot, he has by FAR the best hands on the team and he's 6-5.

Demetrius Bell - Who in his first real season playing LT committed no major penalties and did a decent job helping Fitz to pass for 3000 yards, Fred to run for almost 1000 yards in 7 games as a starter, and the team to average almost 20 points a game. Did he make mistakes? Yes ... Is he Pro Bowl quality? Not now and maybe never. But, he is as good of an offensive lineman as 3/5's of the DREAM TEAM's line.

Kraig Urbik - This 6'5" 2008 ESPN All American selection at guard had a poor first preseason game but then again there were not FTA's. He has won the praises of his coach and looked pretty good with the first team during the last three preseason games. He's young but if we look back on the offensive linemen we wish we had ... most had to start off with no experience and grow in their ability to play the game.

Eric Pears - He is 6'8" and has looked like he belongs in the NFL at RT. Yes, he too is an unknown ... guess during the next three or four weeks we will discover whether he can play.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion, but mine is that you are giving Bell WAY too much credit for the things you listed. Bell looked serviceable at times last year, and awful at others. There is no way he starts at LT for any other team in the league. Watch the Broncos pre-season game for the real demonstration of Bell's "skills".

I agree with you on the other fronts though. I was a big Pears detractor when he was announced as the starter before camp (mainly based on his history). He has been by far the most consistent OL through training camp though, at least in pass protection. He actually looks like he might be a quality starter.

Urbik looked absolutely awful early on, but has seemed to improve as the pre-season went on. He is big, and has been doing well in the running game. I don't think he has a high upside, but maybe he's not as bad as everyone initially thought.

I honestly think Bell is the weakest link on our O-line now, at the most important position. Hairston may have a crack at the job sometime during this season.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

The coaches made the right decision to dump Trent and Green basically admitting their mistake from preseason. So, in my opinion that shows that they aren't going to keep playing guys who aren't going to win for them. As for Spiller, Lynch was the primary back in the beginning of the season and if I am not mistaken Fred Jackson was our go to guy for most of the year accumultating nearly 1000 yards.

Not sure where your thing with Chris Ellis is coming from because I don't remember him ever playing a significant role ... but then again I haven't had my morning coffee ... maybe Chan had him starting and playing all three DL positions while the other guys just sat on the bench .... but if I recall right he was cut midseason too.

Donald Jones was named the starter for game one this year. John from Helmet posted that he didn't know much about Jones but the coaches like him so he is trusting them. I simply pointed out that in game one last year, Trent Edwards, Cornell Green, CJ Spiller, and Chris Ellis all started in week one so just because the coaches like them to start doesn't mean they are always right.

I was just busting John from Helmet's balls because he's a wee bit rosy about everything. I basically trust Gailey (but not Edwards yet) and I like the way they will admit their mistakes quickly like with Trent and Green and Ellis, etc. as you stated.

I even used the analogy earlier of Bob Sanders being our best position coach and he coaches LBs, George Edwards is our DC and he came from coaching LBs, and Wanny just joined the team as a ILB coach, so they probably know better than me and you about where Arthur Moats should play but that was an extreme case, and I surely don't trust all of our coach's moves.

Donald Jones was named the starter for game one this year. John from Helmet posted that he didn't know much about Jones but the coaches like him so he is trusting them. I simply pointed out that in game one last year, Trent Edwards, Cornell Green, CJ Spiller, and Chris Ellis all started in week one so just because the coaches like them to start doesn't mean they are always right.

I was just busting John from Helmet's balls because he's a wee bit rosy about everything. I basically trust Gailey (but not Edwards yet) and I like the way they will admit their mistakes quickly like with Trent and Green and Ellis, etc. as you stated.

I even used the analogy earlier of Bob Sanders being our best position coach and he coaches LBs, George Edwards is our DC and he came from coaching LBs, and Wanny just joined the team as a ILB coach, so they probably know better than me and you about where Arthur Moats should play but that was an extreme case, and I surely don't trust all of our coach's moves.

I was thinking along the same lines of prior Chan Gailey decisions. ("Oh, and if anyone want's to know who our starting QB is, it's Trent.") :sick:

Ruvell Martin has better size and surer hands, and will surely be our #2 WR by the 9/25 NE* game.

I was thinking along the same lines of prior Chan Gailey decisions. ("Oh, and if anyone want's to know who our starting QB is, it's Trent.") :sick:

Ruvell Martin has better size and surer hands, and will surely be our #2 WR by the 9/25 NE* game.

I, for one, cannot at all blame Gailey for naming Trent the starter in game one. Trent out-played Fitz in the OTAs, in training camp and in practices and in preseason games. he actually looked good in preseason. Gailey couldn't be sure that Edwards was going to be a deer in headlights when the real bullets fly, he has to have confidence in his coaching and I'm sure he liked what he saw from Edwards. He couldnt watch Edwards clearly outplay Fitz and then start Fitz.

He quickly saw that Trent is different under live action of regular season games and cannot make good decisions under pressure. And he quickly knew our line was going to suck. That was not a good combo, obviously. So he pulled the plug after two miserable performances, and we're all glad he did. But I really don't blame him for starting Edwards, and I never thought Edwards was any good. After watching Trent in the preseason, however, i was encouraged that the Gailey magic of QBs had taken hold and thought maybe he is due for a turnaround. Boy were we wrong.

I very much doubt Martin will start. He will play ST and maybe in some 4 wide packages but unless Jones and Easley both tank bad, I don't think Martin is any more than the #4 or #5 he has been.

I very much doubt Martin will start. He will play ST and maybe in some 4 wide packages but unless Jones and Easley both tank bad, I don't think Martin is any more than the #4 or #5 he has been.

+1, the main reason Martin made this team is for special teams. Our ST unit was awful last year, pencil Martin in as our #1 punt coverage gunner. He is a serviceable bottom of the depth chart receiver.

Love to see Nelson get a lot of playing time. He brings a lot of size to the position as well as very good hands. I thought Nelson showed much more than Jones did last season. I do think by the end of the season it will be

1- Stevie

2- Easley

3- Nelson (Or Parrish if healthy)

4- Jones

Fitz talked up Johnson early last year, and now he's talking up Jones. I'd say I have to go with his approval...

Jones

Both Gailey and Fitz seem genuinely confident in Jones. That makes me somewhat confident.

+1, the main reason Martin made this team is for special teams. Our ST unit was awful last year, pencil Martin in as our #1 punt coverage gunner. He is a serviceable bottom of the depth chart receiver.

Our Special Teams were great when Bobby April was here. Martin is a nice addition but won't make them great again. DeHaven is getting up in years - starting to wonder if the NFL has passed him by.

Our Special Teams were great when Bobby April was here. Martin is a nice addition but won't make them great again. DeHaven is getting up in years - starting to wonder if the NFL has passed him by.

Yeah, April was a stud...Dehaven, not so much...He may have some better ST'ers to work with though, he'll get a chance to prove himself still capable...

Edited by Turbosrrgood