Overall view of the 53 Man Roster

53 Man Roster compared to last year  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Compare this year's roster to last year's

• 2011 > 2010
    • no significant difference
    • 2011 < 2010

Last year after the cuts to the 53 man roster, we had a number of players on the roster I had little opinion of....Shawn Nelson, McCargo, Maybin, Ayodele, Torbor, Youboty. ( I can't remember exactly when Cornell Green was signed)

We have a rather young team and they're gonna make mistakes. Some of our unproven new players may prove no better than the above.

Overall, though, I feel the 53 men on the roster are a significant step up from last year. We're still thin or inexperienced in depth. We're depending on some key players to stay healthy.

I feel a lot of dead wood has been pruned from the tree and I think the players overall have the message: Bring it, or we'll find someone else who can.

Does this mean I'm "drinking the kool-aid" or just a realistic (albeit positive) assessment?

Edited by Hopeful

Overall, though, I feel the 53 men on the roster are a significant step up from last year.

I think that it's a step up but overall I don't think that it's that significant. The defense is definitely improved but I think the offense will regress slightly from last season. The overall end product will be slightly better.

Edited by vincec

Still too early to say for sure, but right now I would say better. Lil Donte, Pos, and Stroud have been upgraded. Probably downgraded by losing Evans, but I'm hoping Fitz will be even better as a starter from Day 1. Overall depth looks improved. As for the OL, who the hell really knows?

ETA: Can't believe I forgot Merriman, HUGE upgrade over Torbor if he can stay healthy.

Edited by Rico

Still too early to say for sure, but right now I would say better. Lil Donte, Pos, and Stroud have been upgraded. Probably downgraded by losing Evans, but I'm hoping Fitz will be even better as a starter from Day 1. Overall depth looks improved. As for the OL, who the hell really knows?

Don't know how bad Jags line was the fact that Fitzy stayed clean in that game seems positlve.

Overall I'm encouraged by the new roster. I was not happy about the Lee Evans trade, and the o-line seems thin to me, and we're depending on some key players like Merriman to stay healthy.

But I like the general direction, the turn to younger players, the willingness to prune unproductive players. Though I don't want him in pass coverage, I think the knee-jerk Kelsay haters are out of line. And there are young players behind him who may move up and take his place.

In general, I like that the most--if any significant number of these young guys improve with experience, we could have the makings of a first rate team here.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when the real games start.

Lets put it this way -

If you were to play this year's opening day roster against last year's opening day roster, 2011 team would destroy those guys (mostly due to Trent starting and the defense being weaker in 2010)

Can't argue with that.

Here's a breakdown of the changes:

QB Thigpen, Smith

Edwards, Brohm

RB J. White

Lynch

WR Easley, R. Martin

Evans

TE Chandler, Painalto

Stupar, (S. Nelson)

OL C. Brown, Hairston, Rinehart, Pears

Hangartner, Green, Howard, Meredith, Wang