Is it really random?

ieatcrayonz

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do always play KC in KC and New England after their bye week?

It is just a coincidence. The NFL has a very organized and fair system by which the schedule is generated. You rotate amongst the other three AFC divisions each year and go back and forth with each team in terms of playing them home and on the road. Then on top of that, you play the team that finishes in the same place as you in the other two AFC divisions and you go back and forth in terms of which division you play that team home and road. So you could play at KC one year because it's your year to play against the AFC West and you played them at home last time and then the next year you could play at KC again because you're slotted to play at the AFC West team that finished in the same place as you.

It is just a coincidence. The NFL has a very organized and fair system by which the schedule is generated. You rotate amongst the other three AFC divisions each year and go back and forth with each team in terms of playing them home and on the road. Then on top of that, you play the team that finishes in the same place as you in the other two AFC divisions and you go back and forth in terms of which division you play that team home and road. So you could play at KC one year because it's your year to play against the AFC West and you played them at home last time and then the next year you could play at KC again because you're slotted to play at the AFC West team that finished in the same place as you.

Did Mr. Goodell put little extra sugar in your kool aid this morning?

This thread is epic... It MUST be a conspiracy to play the same team in a game that doesn't matter every year. It just has to. It is not only a conspiracy, despite the fact that it has been that way just shy of forever, it is indicative of how bad the Bills are.

To whine and cry about this shows that there is nothing that certain Bills "fans" will not cry about.

A new low...congratulations.

Special kudos go to those that point out that other fans that weren't outraged by this weren't smart enough to "get" it. This is the equivalent of nothing. It would mean nothing if we stopped doing this, or if we did this for the rest of time. Zero.

I am a homer, and an eternal optimist about our team's chances, and I hate losing to New England all of the time. I will not go so far to lend credence the idea that we lose to them because they have extra time to prepare. We lose to them because they are an extremely efficient high functioning program, and we have been anything but that. I do think we are turning things around, and the upper hand will soon be on the other foot...regardless of the positioning of the bye week.

Why do the Bills always play the Lions in the preseason? In any given year the odds of playing them is 4/31 unless the Bills have an extra preseason game which would make it 5/31.

The way statistics works is through multiplication so for the Bills to play them say 5 years in a row is 4/31*4/31*4/31*4/3*4/31. That is .0000357 after some rounding. It is quite an anomaly and it will be interesting to see if it happens next year. There is about a 13% chance.

You have zero understanding of statistics. You would only multiply the years if those previous years somehow limited this year's chance of playing that team - which it clearly doesn't.

So in any year, the chance of playing the lions, if it was truly random (which it isn't) would be 1/28, since we never play the same team twice in the same preseason.

You, sir, are an idiot. And I am one for replying to this stupid thread.

We've played in KC just about yearly and always in KC. Not saying it's a conspiracy, but it is p*ss poor scheduling and unfair to us.

The OP doesn't deserve your rude response. He raised a issue and you seen to know it all - fine but show some class and maturity.

Edited by Green Lightning

You have zero understanding of statistics. You would only multiply the years if those previous years somehow limited this year's chance of playing that team - which it clearly doesn't.

So in any year, the chance of playing the lions, if it was truly random (which it isn't) would be 1/28, since we never play the same team twice in the same preseason.

So the odds of playing any one given team are 1/28.

There are 31 teams in the league and the Bills can't play with themselves so the odds are they will only have 1.035 games every preseason?

Here's a stats quiz for you;

With one dies, what are the chances of rolling a "6" five times in a row? Show your work.

Edited by ieatcrayonz

So the odds of playing any one given team are 1/28.

There are 31 teams in the league and the Bills can't play with themselves so the odds are they will only have 1.035 games every preseason?

No, the odds of playing the lions in the preseason is 1/28 if it were completely random, which it isn't. There are 31 other teams, we will be playing 3 others, so there is a one in 28 chance that the 4th team will be the lions.

We've played in KC just about yearly and always in KC. Not saying it's a conspiracy, but it is p*ss poor scheduling and unfair to us.

The OP doesn't deserve your rude response. He raised a issue and you seen to know it all - fine but show some class and maturity.

You must be new around here.

I don't know the exact history of the Bills/Lions preseason games but if I recall, they usually play in the last preseason game. Given the close proximity of the two cities and the usually short turnaround time between games 3 and 4, it kind of makes sense to play the final game against someone geographically closer just to save on time.

The Steelers play the Redskins every year in preseason.

No, the odds of playing the lions in the preseason is 1/28 if it were completely random, which it isn't. There are 31 other teams, we will be playing 3 others, so there is a one in 28 chance that the 4th team will be the lions.

If random, what are the odds of playing the Giants in the preseason?

Good work. Most of the people in this thread don't understand math and feel the need to ramble on about uniform colors to mask their lack of understanding.

No amount of rambling can mask your lack of understanding.

There's nothing random about it and it's not collusion. They are called exhibition games for a reason.

If random, what are the odds of playing the Giants in the preseason?

Nice try Crayonz. You want me to say the odds of playing the Giants are (1 / 32)^4 = 9.53674316 × 10-7. But the real answer is 0. We will never play a baseball team. Maybe we would play an AL team, but the odds of playing an NL team are actually less than 0. Looks like someone fell asleep in math class.

Nice try Crayonz. You want me to say the odds of playing the Giants are (1 / 32)^4 = 9.53674316 × 10-7. But the real answer is 0. We will never play a baseball team. Maybe we would play an AL team, but the odds of playing an NL team are actually less than 0. Looks like someone fell asleep in math class.

I was asking the guys that doesn't understand stats. It wasn't a trick question. Just imagine I said Titans instead of Giants or 49ers instead of Giants.

I can't tell if you are in your crayon eating mode, or just really don't understand...but I will play along...the preseason games are set up by the franchies' not the league. There were times where the Raiders and Cowboys would play eachother twice in pre-season...

It's always been my understanding that the individual team is responsible for scheduling their preseason opponents.

If you start with the constraint that the game against the Lions MUST be the 4th preseason game, then the odds of playing the Lions in any given preseason would be 1/28. But why do you start with that constraint?

Maybe you assume that such a constraint applies because there is a recent historical pattern of the Bills often concluding their preseason with a game against the Lions - - but if you're factoring in a historical pattern, how is that "completely random," to use your own term?

Did I ever tell you that my middle brother Darryl plays chess?