best albums of 2011, so far...

The Poojer

Awww..even when I was hipster, the stuff I liked was never cool enough for Spin...seeing the dull Foo Fighters album at #1 made me skeptical...some good picks...but none of my faves can crack that list. I think I like Middle Brother, Dawes, Those Darlins and Caitlin Rose's new album more than anything there...though War on Drugs is pretty damn good...just got turned on to it about a week ago...kind of cosmic Dylan hodge-podge...good stuff.

Pooj- I think it was you who started a thread about chick singers about a year ago? If you lean that way...check out the Caitlin Rose record "Own Side Now" She played in our store a couple weeks ago, and I was really impressed...young girl (mid-20's) but terrific songwriter...funny, her mother is Laura Rose, a kind of cookie-cutter Nashville songwriter who co-wrote about three or four of Taylor Swift's biggest hits...her own daughter has more talent in her finger nail than Taylor...she can write (good)songs, and can sing on key without an auto-tuner! :P

Wow, I have not heard of all but two of those groups. Thre rest seem like hipster p---- bs.

I really haven't found good music in a few years. 30STM was the last good album I found, although this mix of Korn and Skillrex (that dubstep crap) is pretty interesting.

Give me some old country music over this stuff any day.

this will probably get abused for being too mainstream and obvious but i think adele 21 is the best new album i've heard this year. just being popular doesn't make it pop. also like the t bone burnett produced secret sisters album.

i was terribly disappointed by the secret sisters album. what i hoped to be an opportunity to put a new spin on and old style, turned out to be a karaoke fest through much of that album.

hadn't checked the list, but i would certainly hope Raphael Saadiq's "Stone Rollin" is on there.

jw

ADD: finally got through the list after having initial difficulty. it's a lot of generally predictable stuff and sadly bereft of much relevance. how Saadiq didn't make it and Yuck did (i've got both albums) is strange.

Edited by john wawrow

i was terribly disappointed by the secret sisters album. what i hoped to be an opportunity to put a new spin on and old style, turned out to be a karaoke fest through much of that album.

hadn't checked the list, but i would certainly hope Raphael Saadiq's "Stone Rollin" is on there.

jw

i agree they're not the reincarnation of patsy cline but i think they have beautiful voices and they're just getting started.

I came into this thread to post "Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues" as the #1 album released this year, IMO. Glad to see they are near the top of the list. The entire album is solid from start to finish.

Give me some old country music over this stuff any day.

If that is what you are looking for, you may really dig the FF albums. Not country, as much as it is folky. Has a very CSN&Y feel to it. Maybe more Simon & Garfunkel even...

Opening track, give it a couple minutes of your time, its worth it:

I came into this thread to post "Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues" as the #1 album released this year, IMO. Glad to see they are near the top of the list. The entire album is solid from start to finish.

If that is what you are looking for, you may really dig the FF albums. Not country, as much as it is folky. Has a very CSN&Y feel to it. Maybe more Simon & Garfunkel even...

Opening track, give it a couple minutes of your time, its worth it:

youtube.com/watch?v=cdN2bfov9JQ

Really like this Doc, reminds me a lot of My Morning Jackets old stuff.