Building a team with our castaways

I recently posted a comment from a Ravens fan saying all of our castaways would make a good team. Just read that AP state of the Bills story, which indicated, among other gruesome truths, an above average shedding of veteran talent.

So, here's part of a team I'd build with the folks we've gotten rid of over the past decade:

•  
  • Defensive Coordinator: Perry Fewell
  • Special Teams Coach: Bobby April
  • Safety: Kurt Schulz
  • LB: Poz
  • DT: Sam Adams
  • WR: Lee Evans and Eric Moulds

Those are the ones who spring to mind right away. I know there are a lot more. Just a conversation starter.

I think to be a good team, you need more cohesiveness from year to year. How can I pay $200 for a jersey, when I doubt he'll be on this team as soon as he demands money?

I recently posted a comment from a Ravens fan saying all of our castaways would make a good team. Just read that AP state of the Bills story, which indicated, among other gruesome truths, an above average shedding of veteran talent.

So, here's part of a team I'd build with the folks we've gotten rid of over the past decade:

•  
  • Defensive Coordinator: Perry Fewell
  • Special Teams Coach: Bobby April
  • Safety: Kurt Schulz
  • LB: Poz
  • DT: Sam Adams
  • WR: Lee Evans and Eric Moulds

Those are the ones who spring to mind right away. I know there are a lot more. Just a conversation starter.

I think to be a good team, you need more cohesiveness from year to year. How can I pay $200 for a jersey, when I doubt he'll be on this team as soon as he demands money?

Jeepers.. if your going to back as far as Schultz and Moulds.. can I toss in OJ as our "castaway" RB?

Is this team you're assembling in some sort of senior league? Moulds and Adams are 38, and both retired 4 years ago. Schulz is 42 and hasn't played in 10 years.

Marv just celebrated his 86th birthday. He's got time on his hands; maybe he'll coach.

If you are going to include Moulds/Schulz then you can add just about anyone that's ever left the team. Get real. If you go through every teams history you can find people they should have kept.

I am so sick of people trying to say players like Mario Haggan or Justin Bannan were big losses...please.

A few big names left off this list...

Lets be real about this...players who are still playing or recently finished:

QB - Bledsoe - He isnt still playing, but he got a raw deal here and it was recent enough to put on the list...Todd Collins would be only one I would consider that is still playing.

OL - Dockery

OL - Incognito

OL - Peters

OL - Williams

RB1 - Lynch

RB2 - McGahee

WR - Evans

WR - T.O.

WR - Hardy

TE - Pick any, they have all blown

DL - Pat Williams

DL - Sam Adams

DE - Schobel (I think he mainly retired because we changed the D to a 3-4 and sucked)

DE - Maybin

DE - Stroud

LB - Fletcher

LB - Poz

LB - Spikes

DB - Clements

DB - Winfield

DB - Greer

S - Whitner

S - Leonhard

Thats not a bad team, and when you factor in the point in their careers where they were either not resigned, traded, or cut, then this list gets even more depressing as many went on to be very good for the new teams. Few were about done when we got rid of them like Stroud, any TE, and Maybin...but most still were productive, even multiple pro bowlers on this list after leaving here. And this list isnt even everyone, just the ones that initially came to mind.

Edited by Alphadawg7

A few big names left off this list...

Lets be real about this...players who are still playing:

DL - Pat Williams

DL - Sam Adams

DE - Schobel (I think he mainly retired because we changed the D to a 3-4 and sucked)

DE - Stroud

None of these guys are really playing anymore

None of these guys are really playing anymore

Yeah, but they were all good players, even pro bowlers, after they left here (except Stroud) and are still close enough to be relevant to this discussion.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Really?

RB Thurman Thomas

WR Andre Reed

DE Bruce Smith

Worst. Post. EVER!

I said past 10 years. My point is, we have been getting rid of a lot of great players...it's a trend...and it's hard to win when there is little continuity.

All of those stars you mentioned were on the Bills in the 90s when we were good. We took advantage of them. The others we never got to see their full potential.

My list guys who are still playing/young enough to still be playing

QB - JP Losman (FA)

OT - Peters (Eagles)

OG - Dockery (Redskins)

C - Incognito (Fins)

OG - Walker (FA)

OT - Butler (FA)

RB - Lynch (Seahawks)

RB - McGahee (Broncos)

WR - Evans (Ravens)

WR - T.O (FA)

WR - ?????

TE - ?????

DE - Aaron Schobel (FA)

DT - Justin Bannan (Rams)

DT - Pat Williams (Vikings)

DE - C.J. Ah You (Rams)

OLB - Poz (Jags)

MLB - Fletcher (Redskins)

OLB - Spikes (Chargers)

CB - Winfield (Vikings)

CB - Greer (Saints)

CB - Clements (Bengals)

SS - Whitner (49ers)

FS - Leonhard (Jets)

<br />I recently posted a comment from a Ravens fan saying all of our castaways would make a good team. Just read that AP state of the Bills story, which indicated, among other gruesome truths, an above average shedding of veteran talent. <br /><br />So, here's part of a team I'd build with the folks we've gotten rid of over the past decade:<br /><br /><ul class='bbc'><li>Defensive Coordinator: Perry Fewell<br /></li><li>Special Teams Coach: Bobby April<br /></li><li>Safety: Kurt Schulz <br /></li><li>LB: Poz<br /></li><li>DT: Sam Adams<br /></li><li>WR: Lee Evans and Eric Moulds</li></ul><br /><br />Those are the ones who spring to mind right away. I know there are a lot more. Just a conversation starter. <br /><br />I think to be a good team, you need more cohesiveness from year to year. How can I pay $200 for a jersey, when I doubt he'll be on this team as soon as he demands money?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Is Moulds considered a castoff? he pretty much played hear until he was old and brittle, the same could be said for Bruce and Andre

As the creator of this thread, I must say now it's not a good one.

Was trying to make a point, but as posters pointed out, it's not logical to use guys from 10 years ago.

If I post another bad thread like this one again, may someone run over Pat Moran's cat.

Moderator: Feel free to close this boring thread.