Bills Sign LB Morrison

From Chris Brown...

With versatile veteran linebacker Reggie Torbor again lost for the season with a shoulder injury, Buffalo made a heck of an acquisition to fill the void signing six-year linebacker Kirk Morrison Friday.

A full-time starter for almost his entire career, Morrison has been extremely productive and durable having never missed a game in his six NFL seasons. Morrison (6’2” 240) thrived in Oakland’s defense the first five years of his career leading the Raiders in tackles four times in five seasons.

He’s also proven himself capable in pass coverage with seven career interceptions including a career-high four in 2007.

The 29-year old spent the 2010 season with Jacksonville after they acquired him from Oakland along with a fifth-round pick in exchange for a fourth-round pick.

Bills linebacker Shawne Merriman had been in touch with Morrison for the past week and a half knowing he was a free agent, as he put his recruiting skills to work.

“The bottom line is I want to win and we all want to win, and we have guys here who can play,” said Merriman. “But it’s always good to get a guy like Nick (Barnett) and get a guy like Kirk to help us get where we want to go.”

Being able to land a proven linebacker like Morrison this close to the regular season is considered a quality addition for the Bills.

From Wikipedia...

Morrison played in all 16 games as a rookie, ending the season with 116 tackles and two pass deflections.

He finished the 2006 season with a team leading 128 tackles, a sack, a defensive touchdown, and two interceptions.

Morrison started the 2007 season with an interception in each of his first three games, joining Thomas Howard who had an interception through each of his first 4 games. He led the Oakland Raiders with 120 tackles, and tacked on 10 passes defended and a quarterback sack to his totals.

In 2008, Morrison ranked fifth in the NFL with 135 tackles. He also forced two fumbles and had one sack.

He finished the 2009 season tied 6th in the NFL with 133 tackles. He forced three fumbles, recovering one, and had two sacks while playing most of the season with a dislocated elbow.

Merriman, Barnett, Morrison... The Bills LB corps will look very different this year. And that's a good thing. We need to give Merriman a recruiting bonus.

Davis as well, I wonder if they chose to go 3-4 they could move Barnett outside to replace Kelsay in some instances. Giving an LB look of Merriman-Morrison-Davis-Barnett. Merriman obviously being the rush backer.

It's difficult to project the Bills 2011 season because the defense is such a mystery.

The offense isn't too hard to predict. The offensive line will struggle, Fitz will be Fitz and Freddie will be Freddie.

But the defensive front 7 looks to have 4 guys run onto the field in Bills uniforms this year who didn't last year. 2 of those guys are injury prone. It's hard to guess beforehand how it will all come together but there are reasons for hope.

Well, Maybin is averaging a sack and a forced fumble per game with the Jets since he now has a real coach.

"Preseason? We're talking about Preseason? Not the Regular Season, not the Regular Season, but Preseason? C'mon man, we're talking about the Preseason." - A.I.

Yeah, we'll see how many sacks Maybin gets or, better yet, how many snaps he gets in the regular season when stats actually count. :rolleyes:

The front 7 just got a lot better with this guy. Im guessing/hoping this signing will remove Kelsay from starting. But then again how do you justify having a $6mil back up, or role player I should say. He has the best work ethic, but with below average skills, and makes a hell of a peach cobbler. I mean was there really other teams lining up ready to offer big money to him. I'm not one to live in the past but FO is on thin ice with many poor decisions made, starting with their gamebreaker RB. Never draft RBs in the first round. It was a luxury we are not able to afford and once again sets us back. Simple needs vs. wants. Go Kirk! Live up to that #58