Spiller

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills thought they were getting Chris Johnson when they drafted Spiller but they didn't get Chris Johnson they didn't even get Reggie Bush- and even during Chris Johnson's mind boggling 2009 season where Chris Johnson got 2006 rushing yards 503 receiving yards and 16 TDs the Titans went 8-8, it's nice to have a good RB but it's a passing league.

He won't be beaten to the corner, that's something the Bills haven't had since OJ.

Well you and I will probably get raked over the coals but the comparison to OJ is valid, IMO. Forget comparing stats of their first couple years. That's not important. What's important is the similarity in running styles. OJ and CJ both possessed world class speed coming out of college. Both thought that speed would get them the same thing in the pros. Both of them found out the hard way. Both of them looked like they were "dancing on egg shells" in their rookie years. Both of them were impatient as hell in setting up their blocks; when you have world class speed you don't get used to waiting for ANYTHING to develop. Unlearning something is harder than learning something new.

When OJ got a coach that wasn't afraid to let him run out of the I (Rauch HATED the I) he did better. Running out of that depth is a great advantage to an RB. In the single back Gailey often has CJ run out of a similar depth. Of course OJ got a coach who immediately upgraded his OL. That hasn't happened yet with CJ but I don't think we're as far away as people think. I say that because FJ is able to get his yards behind the same line.

When CJ slows down and lets the game come to him, he'll be ok. Watch Freddy run and you have to marvel at his patience and discipline. If Freddy had CJ speed and elusiveness he'd be All Pro. When CJ learns to be patient and let the game come to him he's gonna hit the same levels in the D that Freddy does only with much more speed and breakaway ability.

Disclaimer: I am NOT saying CJ is anywhere close to being another OJ. He's 15lbs. lighter, not as strong, and lacks the same tackle breaking ability between the tackles so far. I'm just comparing the two after their rookie years. As the son of the Bill's rushing stats keeper and frequent pressbox guest at the games as a kid, I grew up listening to scouts, coaches, and writers bemoan the same things in OJ that everyone is decrying in CJ. Give the kid a chance.

GO BILLS!!!