At What Point Do Nix and Gailey Own This Team

My take is that Ralph isn't nearly as loyal to the city or people of Buffalo as many here claim he is. He has always been a shrewd businessman and he understands that there are substantial short-term fixed costs associated with moving to another market. He has a favorable (short-term) arrangement right now given the current lease deal, a yearly windfall from a game in Toronto, etc. For a guy born in October 1918, there is no long-term.

...Personally, I think if he was "loyal" to Buffalo he would have provided a transition plan to assure us that the team stays in Buffalo after his death. As we all know, he most certainly has not done that, which makes me hesitant to support the team financially right now. If I though the team might stay after he dies I'd be at my usual few games per year... but I cannot in good conscience line the pockets of Charles Montgomery Burns only to see my beloved team leave in a few years.

That said, I really hope Terry Pegula develops a love for football very soon!

Perhaps, if the Sabres win the Stanley Cup this year Terry will set his sights on Winning a SuperBowl or Two....

That may be our Best Hope...

Edited by DefenseWins

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that after 3 years the picture should be clear enough. I thought they drafted well this year but we will have to see yet. I dont think that last years draft was that bad because of the Spiller pick. I too had enough with the rb picks, but the top 2 Offensive and top 2 Defensive linemen were taken. So, if the took any linemen in that spot the would be reaching for that player. Not too mention Spiller did contribute 1600 total yards, 2 TDs, and 2 tackles.

As far as the team being worst tough call. I think that there schedule was harder, the offense was better but the defense was worst. Since they put most of the resources into the defense we better see a real improvement on D. After next year if we dont see the sings of rebuilding being over it time to put the Bills in more capable hands.

After 3 years the picture will be clear that they need another three years. I am not saying that to be negative.

Why you ask?

Because we are building through the draft only. After three years we might draft a franchise QB and a legitimate LT. It will take them three more years to develop. Even then, that assumes some of the current players that Nix has drafted actually turn out ok.

Since the Bills are not using trades or Free Agancy to improve their talent it will take them longer than most other teams.

Probably one of the best posts I have read here at TBD. Spot on accurate. Get my vote for post of the year. i just found myself a new quote(Oh, and I agree 110%)

thanks. I think it's pretty clear we have similar views. Ralph's a good guy and it's great he has kept us here....but "you play to win the game." (see Herm Edwards)

My take is that Ralph isn't nearly as loyal to the city or people of Buffalo as many here claim he is. He has always been a shrewd businessman and he understands that there are substantial short-term fixed costs associated with moving to another market. He has a favorable (short-term) arrangement right now given the current lease deal, a yearly windfall from a game in Toronto, etc. For a guy born in October 1918, there is no long-term.

...Personally, I think if he was "loyal" to Buffalo he would have provided a transition plan to assure us that the team stays in Buffalo after his death. As we all know, he most certainly has not done that, which makes me hesitant to support the team financially right now. If I though the team might stay after he dies I'd be at my usual few games per year... but I cannot in good conscience line the pockets of Charles Montgomery Burns only to see my beloved team leave in a few years.

That said, I really hope Terry Pegula develops a love for football very soon!

Valid point re: transition plan. That would truly be a significant and loyal gesture. It can, however, still be said that he has had opportunity (or could have easily created same) to leave Buffalo behind. Your short term fixed costs reference is valid but Ralph could have bolted many times in the past...when his future was not so limited. Semantics maybe...but he has kept the team here. For me, however, that's just not enough. (see Herm Edwards)

Love that you 'speak' with your wallet. It's the universal language.

I'm for any owner with passion, cash, and a desire to keep the team here!

Maybe it's the fact the Bills claim to have lost my season tickets in the mail and then printed me some crappy looking tickets instead of the nice ones season ticket holders should get. Maybe it's that I read an article hinting at the truth about Lee Evans, or I hear about Fred Jackson wanting to be traded and the Bills talking to 2 teams about such. Maybe its that not only did we not address the offensive line but then decided to bench hangartner and maybe Levitre? Potentially the fact that we looked awful Saturday? Sorry for the rant but even for the eternal optimists its getting hard. Rooting for a loser sucks and its hard to see us trying to win right now. Its very frustrating.... end of rant, anyone else can now continue.

I hear ya. Every year I defend the Bills to everybody, claiming that they are underrated and may surprise people. I've even been saying that alot this year, but I don't know if I believe what I'm saying half of the time. Who knows, though. Every year there is a surprise team that comes out of nowhere. I'm really really hoping that it will be the Bills this year *fingers crossed*

I hear ya. Every year I defend the Bills to everybody, claiming that they are underrated and may surprise people. I've even been saying that alot this year, but I don't know if I believe what I'm saying half of the time. Who knows, though. Every year there is a surprise team that comes out of nowhere. I'm really really hoping that it will be the Bills this year *fingers crossed*

I think I need to steal your user name right now. I hope your right. Even playing well Saturday would pull me back in.

It's crazy how even one pre-season game can alter the way we think about the Bills. I actually felt half decent about them after the Bears game. And I know it doesn't mean much, but that Broncos game was pathetic. While most fans cheer for touchdowns, I was cheering for every first down as if it were a touchdown -- that's how little confidence I had in the o-line and offense in general. Every completion looked like it was the most difficult task on earth.

It's crazy how even one pre-season game can alter the way we think about the Bills. I actually felt half decent about them after the Bears game. And I know it doesn't mean much, but that Broncos game was pathetic. While most fans cheer for touchdowns, I was cheering for every first down as if it were a touchdown -- that's how little confidence I had in the o-line and offense in general. Every completion looked like it was the most difficult task on earth.

The reason game isn't what its about its everything surrounding the team right now. They just don't seem to be in a good spot.

I don't think you are pessimists I think you are realists - Pessimism would be saying Dareus will suck just because he is a Bill, but you take this offense and you compare the starters to other starters in the NFL and it isn't pretty - being generous I'd say maybe Wood, Levitre and Johnson break into the top 20 at their positions, maybe Fred and Fitz makes top 25-30, Chandler isn't in the top 40 TEs neither is our #2 WR - FB, OTs an RG are sad to even think about.

Yeah...this year is particualry rough as it feels like the patterns of the previous failed front offices are being repeated in extremely obvious ways.

In particular, the OL situation feels like a horrible movie we've been forced to watched multiple times over the last 11 failed seasons.

The movie starts...

Bills Front Office: "We've got to improve our offensive line as it is holding us back."

[Nothing is done to actually fix the OL in free agency or the draft]

Bills Front Office: "Fans and outsiders don't realize how good these young guys can be."

[bills OL looks AWFUL in training camp and throughout the begining of the preseason]

Bills Front Office: "These guys just need more time together and we are hoping they'll gel."

[bills OL appears to get even worse the last couple of preseason games]

Bills Front Office: "We're going to try moving some guys around and find the right fit...it's not ideal but we can make it work"

[bills OL is a disaster and cripples the Bills skill position players throughout regular season]

Bills Front Office: "THIS offseason the OL will be a top priorty."

....fade to black.

Im actually just coming back after a much need few days away from this site. I may be off but my guess is that no more then 40% of the people who post on here has ever even played the game of football and 20% didnt play past 10th grade. They have no idea what goes on on the field or any idea of the politics that goes on off the field. Have no idea about how a coach thinks a player or a GM thinks. But everbody is effin expert on EVERY aspect of a game you have little to NO experience in. Everybody has a right to an opinion but DAMN! some of yall are just plain old ignorant.

So the next time your about to post some bulls*it on here...ask your self...what do I know? Do I really know (players name) to where I can call him a jerk, not a team player..etc. Does it really make sense to say since the people that are calling the shots are southerners that that is the reason why stuff isnt going right.(and im from NJ for those who think im being a homer). All I ask is for you to start thinking when you post...is that so much to ask? and if your offended then your probably the one posting half the BS on here.

I just needed to get that off my chest

Not buyin it.

Born in raised Montclair, NJ...Graduated West Orange High..(in NJ) class of 99'..grad from Lackawanna college (same as our very own donald jones) 01' 10-1 Record finished top 10 in the nation. Played OLB for Charleston SOuthern unknown school yes but 1-AA none the less...and yes I started...and lastly everybody from NJ does not sound like Tony Saprano...like I said think before you post

Born in raised Montclair, NJ...Graduated West Orange High..(in NJ) class of 99'..grad from Lackawanna college (same as our very own donald jones) 01' 10-1 Record finished top 10 in the nation. Played OLB for Charleston SOuthern unknown school yes but 1-AA none the less...and yes I started...and lastly everybody from NJ does not sound like Tony Saprano...like I said think before you post

Do you know Snooki?

Im actually just coming back after a much need few days away from this site. I may be off but my guess is that no more then 40% of the people who post on here has ever even played the game of football and 20% didnt play past 10th grade. They have no idea what goes on on the field or any idea of the politics that goes on off the field. Have no idea about how a coach thinks a player or a GM thinks. But everbody is effin expert on EVERY aspect of a game you have little to NO experience in. Everybody has a right to an opinion but DAMN! some of yall are just plain old ignorant.

So the next time your about to post some bulls*it on here...ask your self...what do I know? Do I really know (players name) to where I can call him a jerk, not a team player..etc. Does it really make sense to say since the people that are calling the shots are southerners that that is the reason why stuff isnt going right.(and im from NJ for those who think im being a homer). All I ask is for you to start thinking when you post...is that so much to ask? and if your offended then your probably the one posting half the BS on here.

I just needed to get that off my chest

First, you think anywhere close to 20% of people here played football past 10th grade? 1 out of 5 posters? Are you insane?

Second, just because I never filmed a movie doesn't mean I can't comment on which ones suck. Same goes for my car that I've never built and my air conditioner that doesn't always work. It sucks too. Sometimes when I watch the Bills I yell at my TV along the lines of "YOU'RE NOT DOING IT RIGHT!!"

But to be honest it's a lot more fun to do so on a message board where everyone else is yelling too.