One of my biggest concerns about Fitzpatrick

Got_Wood

Awareness before the ball is snapped.

This means a lot of things:

- Is an OLB or CB cheating to blitz

- Are your WR's uncovered or in a mismatch with a LB

- Are the safeties cheating up giving your WR's the opportunity to get behind them

- Should you use a hard count to draw speed rushers (ie: Von Miller) offsides, and not allow them to get a quick start every snap

I have yet to see Fitzpatrick do many of these things. And this seems to have been a problem with every QB we've had here in Buffalo since Flutie and Bledsoe were taking snaps for us. It's just common football sense that you need to have to be a successful Quarterback. It's what made guys like Jim Kelly and Brett Favre great instead of just good. I don't know whether we're not coaching it here, or if our guys just don't have what it takes. But this is one of the BIG things that need to change in order for Fitzpatrick and this offense to be successful.

Edited by Got_Wood

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awareness before the ball is snapped.

This means a lot of things:

- Is an OLB or CB cheating to blitz

- Are your WR's uncovered or in a mismatch with a LB

- Are the safeties cheating up giving your WR's the opportunity to get behind them

- Should you use a hard count to draw speed rushers (ie: Von Miller) offsides, and not allow them to get a quick start every snap

I have yet to see Fitzpatrick do many of these things. And this seems to have been a problem with every QB we've had here in Buffalo since Flutie and Bledsoe were taking snaps for us. It's just common football sense that you need to have to be a successful Quarterback. It's what made guys like Jim Kelly and Brett Favre great instead of just good. I don't know whether we're not coaching it here, or if our guys just don't have what it takes. But this is one of the BIG things that need to change in order for Fitzpatrick and this offense to be successful.

Fitzpatrick is one of the smartest QBs in the league. Lack of awareness is something that is not a concern with him. Denver was blitzing like crazy, sending 5 and 6 guys on almost every passing play, which probably caught the entire Bills offense off guard. Teams generally don't blitz like that in preseason and I think that Denver's blitzing was for the purpose of putting on a "show" for their fans. Fitzpatrick knows how to tip off players to when and where the blitz may come. He got his wakeup call and won't be a sitting duck next week.

Edited by 1billsfan

I noticed that also saturday. I dont know, it seems he is fooled by hidden coverages more than he should be. Id assume that he will be watching alot of film to get a better understanding on opposing teams coverage schemes and blitzes. I have confidence in him. I wonder how much confidence he has in his own line though. It would be the reason why he had alot of bad throws saturday other than him just wiffing a couple passes which is another concern.

I think a little too much of the "credit" for these things is being given to Fitz. The guys on the Bills O-line would be hard pressed to make another roster, let alone start. Bell literally couldn't hold a block for a full second against the Broncos. Spiller, despite looking good so far this year, has yet to catch on at all in the pass blocking aspect. No amount of QB "awareness" can make up for that. Plus they have a roster of young WR's, only one of which has real starting experience...and only 1 year at that.

I don't think Fitz is great, but he is the least of the offenses concern right now IMO. At this rate he will be hurt by week 3 anyway.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Fitzpatrick is one of the smartest QBs in the league. Lack of awareness is something that is not a concern with him. Denver was blitzing like crazy, sending 5 and 6 guys on almost every passing play, which probably caught the entire Bills offense off guard. Teams generally don't blitz like that in preseason and I think that Denver's blitzing was for the purpose of putting on a "show" for their fans. Fitzpatrick knows how to tip off players to when and where the blitz may come. He got his wakeup call and won't be a sitting duck next week.

I haven't noticed the awareness you're talking about. You'll have to give me some examples.

You guys are talking like he should have been in the film room studying for the Broncos all week so he'd know all their blitzes inside and out. You forget, this is pre-season. No one cares or gameplans, so the fact that he wasn't fully prepared for the blitz this past week doesn't bother me too much. If it continues in the regular season, that's when you need to start worrying

You guys are talking like he should have been in the film room studying for the Broncos all week so he'd know all their blitzes inside and out. You forget, this is pre-season. No one cares or gameplans, so the fact that he wasn't fully prepared for the blitz this past week doesn't bother me too much. If it continues in the regular season, that's when you need to start worrying

It shouldn't matter if it's preseason or not. Does Fitz want to get drilled in the back by an unblocked Linebacker in any game?? I think not. Should he see that Nelson has a CB shaded to his outside with no safeties in the middle of the field in any situation? Yes, he should. Preseason or not, Fitzpatrick needs to work on this. You don't just simply walk up to the line of scrimmage and call the play, regardless of the coverage.

Edited by Got_Wood

If one thing Fitz HAS, it's awareness on the field. The guy usually knows exactly what the D is doing...getting the ball there in time is another story.

Anyway, I'm really not all that concerned with Fitz' preseason play. The guy has never been a great practice QB. Heck, Trent usually outperformed him in practice and in practice games. Fitz seems to do much better in games that count. If he starts the REAL season like he has in practice then I'll be concerned.

I think, being a rational human being his thought is....

Are these frigging offensive linemen ever going to block?

Will CJ at least TRY to throw his scrawny body in front of one of the onrushing linemen, linebackers, corners, safeties, punters, cheerleaders and opposing fans that seem to be in the backfield the second the ball is snapped?

Is there an ambulance at the ready?

It shouldn't matter if it's preseason or not. Does Fitz want to get drilled in the back by an unblocked Linebacker in any game?? I think not. Should he see that Nelson has a CB shaded to his outside with no safeties in the middle of the field in any situation? Yes, he should. Preseason or not, Fitzpatrick needs to work on this. You don't just simply walk up to the line of scrimmage and call the play, regardless of the coverage.

Now I am not saying that there weren't times when MAYBE Fitz should have moved the RB, or audible (they may not have wanted to show this in the pre-season), but blaming Fitz because the worst o-line in football is messing up their assignments is a little ridiculous. Spiller isn't helping either. He can't block, and barely tries.

If he had an experienced/quality o-line and these things were happening thats one thing, but you can't blame Fitz because other players on his team aren't good...

I think, being a rational human being his thought is....

Are these frigging offensive linemen ever going to block?

Will CJ at least TRY to throw his scrawny body in front of one of the onrushing linemen, linebackers, corners, safeties, punters, cheerleaders and opposing fans that seem to be in the backfield the second the ball is snapped?

Is there an ambulance at the ready?

Yup. This ^

Edited by Turbosrrgood

No offense, but this is a pretty ridiculous reply. So many things wrong with it...

Seriously? "Putting on a show for the fans"...thats what you think Denvers intentions were in one of the two key preseason games (games 2 and 3) after no offseason, no OTA's, etc? That is about the most ridiculous statement I have seen on this board in a while. There is not a single GM or Head Coach who gives 2 craps about entertaining fans in a critical preseason game desperately needed to evaluate players in a normal year. Magnify that by 10 in a year where we just had a lockout with no OTA's etc. Not to mention...TEAMS BLITZ...its the NFL! Fitz is a Vet, he should handle it better than he did if he is "one of the smartest QB's in the league"...

That brings me to the second issue with this post...this over exaggerated fact about Fitz's on field intelligence is getting an awful like the non stop praise of Trent Edwards poise (which didn't really exist). I get it, Fitz went to a great school and is a smart individual in general. But on field awareness is a COMPLETELY different animal and they don't always go hand in hand. Fitz consistently, week in and week out, has moments in the game that leave you scratching your head. There are plenty of open recievers he hasn't seen, bad sacks, absurd INT's, missed blitzes, terrible throws, etc. Yet somehow, his band wagoners always seem to make the most ridiculous proclamation that he is one of the smartest (in terms of on field awareness) in the league.

If that was even remotely true, his career accuracy rating would not be near the bottom of the league. He would know the D so well, that he could pick apart the D using quick decisions. He does NOT do that. His "awareness" is a concern for those who when watching football know what they are looking at. Him being one of the smartest in the league in terms of awareness is great over exaggerated. Its one thing to line up on the line of scrimmage and evaluate what you see from the D...its a completely different scenario (and the one that matters most) to hike the ball and read and react to the D in play, something he is no where near the "best in the league at".

Now I am not saying that there weren't times when MAYBE Fitz should have moved the RB, or audible (they may not have wanted to show this in the pre-season), but blaming Fitz because the worst o-line in football is messing up their assignments is a little ridiculous. Spiller isn't helping either. He can't block, and barely tries.

If he had an experienced/quality o-line and these things were happening thats one thing, but you can't blame Fitz because other players on his team aren't good...

Yup. This ^

I agree that the O-line hasn't played well. Bell only got burned by Von Miller because he couldn't get a quick enough jump on him. You can help your lineman out by calling a hard count on speed rushers like Von Miller. That way they'll be hesitant to get off the line as quickly.

That being said, we need to bring in at least one top quality O-lineman to this squad. They are sorely lacking talent.

No offense, but this is a pretty ridiculous reply. So many things wrong with it...

Seriously? "Putting on a show for the fans"...thats what you think Denvers intentions were in one of the two key preseason games (games 2 and 3) after no offseason, no OTA's, etc? That is about the most ridiculous statement I have seen on this board in a while. There is not a single GM or Head Coach who gives 2 craps about entertaining fans in a critical preseason game desperately needed to evaluate players in a normal year. Magnify that by 10 in a year where we just had a lockout with no OTA's etc. Not to mention...TEAMS BLITZ...its the NFL! Fitz is a Vet, he should handle it better than he did if he is "one of the smartest QB's in the league"...

That brings me to the second issue with this post...this over exaggerated fact about Fitz's on field intelligence is getting an awful like the non stop praise of Trent Edwards poise (which didn't really exist). I get it, Fitz went to a great school and is a smart individual in general. But on field awareness is a COMPLETELY different animal and they don't always go hand in hand. Fitz consistently, week in and week out, has moments in the game that leave you scratching your head. There are plenty of open recievers he hasn't seen, bad sacks, absurd INT's, missed blitzes, terrible throws, etc. Yet somehow, his band wagoners always seem to make the most ridiculous proclamation that he is one of the smartest (in terms of on field awareness) in the league.

If that was even remotely true, his career accuracy rating would not be near the bottom of the league. He would know the D so well, that he could pick apart the D using quick decisions. He does NOT do that. His "awareness" is a concern for those who when watching football know what they are looking at. Him being one of the smartest in the league in terms of awareness is great over exaggerated. Its one thing to line up on the line of scrimmage and evaluate what you see from the D...its a completely different scenario (and the one that matters most) to hike the ball and read and react to the D in play, something he is no where near the "best in the league at".

Thank you. Glad you see things the way I do. I knew I wasn't alone on this.

You're kidding me right? I just checked and Fitzpatrick's ranked #7 in the league in FA (Field Awareness).

I agree that the O-line hasn't played well. Bell only got burned by Von Miller because he couldn't get a quick enough jump on him. You can help your lineman out by calling a hard count on speed rushers like Von Miller. That way they'll be hesitant to get off the line as quickly.

That being said, we need to bring in at least one top quality O-lineman to this squad. They are sorely lacking talent.

I guess I am confused as to how this is Fitz's fault...? It was one on one and Miller burned him in half a second. Dumervil did the same thing plenty more times regardless of whether it was run or pass. Robert Ayer burned him on the interception. There is no command Fitz can give to Bell that will give him to power to hold his blocks...

As far as the count goes, Fitz had Miller badly offsides due to his count on another play.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

If one thing Fitz HAS, it's awareness on the field. The guy usually knows exactly what the D is doing...getting the ball there in time is another story.

Anyway, I'm really not all that concerned with Fitz' preseason play. The guy has never been a great practice QB. Heck, Trent usually outperformed him in practice and in practice games. Fitz seems to do much better in games that count. If he starts the REAL season like he has in practice then I'll be concerned.

This statement makes no sense. How can you say he knows exactly what the D is doing but yet doesn't get the ball their on time? Think about that statement...if he knew exactly what the D is doing, then getting the ball there on time would not be a problem because he would know exactly when to throw it and get it there. Its not like his arm is the equivalent of a 14 year old girl and it takes too long to get there...he is an NFL QB and has plenty of arm to deliver the ball on time if he throws it on time. So how long it takes the ball to get there relies on knowing the D, what they are doing, and when to throw it. So if he isnt getting the ball there on time, then he is NOT understanding the D nearly as good as you think.

I take issue with every point you've raised.

To start: I'd say there's a good possibility that the Denver gameplan was steeped in showmanship. Based on some of the Broncos' post-game comments, it's obvious they came out with something to prove. So you're completely wrong in your assment.

Secondly, Fitz's lone superlative IS his intelligence and his pre-snap reads. That's what made the offense effective last year. But those attributes require GAMEPLANNING, somethingwe know for certain the Bills DID NOT DO before Saturday's game.

Thirdly, the mistakes he makes RARELY have anything to do with him being caught unawares. For you to assert thusly makes me question whether you've seen the man play. His throws being off-target are strictly a mechanical issue. We used to hear from Trent ALL THE TIME: "they came out and did some things we weren't expecting." Now we hear the opposite from Fitz: "we knew the package they were in, we knew the play they were running, I knew where to put the ball, I just failed to do so."

Your never-ending "Fitz-Blows" campaign is getting stale, my friend.