One of my biggest concerns about Fitzpatrick

Got_Wood

I like Fitzgerald. Back when he came out of Harvard, I was hoping the Bills would use a late pick on him. What I don' t understand is why is a guy who is viewed as highly intelligent, a Harvard man, who has been in the league a few years and is in his second year with this offense and coaching staff, wearing a wrist band.

I just always associated with rookies and guys learning new terminology.

I will now duck for cover as the inevitable list of wrist band wearers begins being recited.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough, and I don't disagree with what you are saying in this post...it was just how you wrote your original post that threw me for a loop of such ownage of the Ravens. Fitz did have a great game, especially in comparison to the crap QB's of recent years, but he also made critical mistakes which gave away 14 quick points. I truly do love how he plays and cross my fingers he figures out how to step it up. I just havent seen anything to give me the optimism that he can at this stage in his career.

I will be the first to admit that the Ravens game is sore spot for me. I just get so tired of hearing about this one game, and game we lost, as if its proves he is this divine QB. People always site this game and ignore his overall poor body of work in the ensuing 9 weeks to end the season where he was one of the lowest rated QB's in the league over that span with more turnovers than TD's.

Cheers :beer: Go Bills!

We just need to accept the fact that there will be times he has us pulling our hair out when he tries to make a play he has no chance of making. I love his moxie, but as Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations."

He will throw his share of picks, overthrow, underthrow, and throw behind his receivers. And I will say "WTF!"

But I know that most of the time he's going to make the right calls to put us in a position to make a play.

Fitz will do until we get the next franchise guy. We can certainly do worse.

GO BILLS!!!

Nonsense. Of course they were doing those things to some degree or another. All teams do some of these things.

However, what I'm saying is that they were concentrating more on victory than evaluation. That is to say, concentrating more on putting on a confident show for their fans than to on practice.

I'm not knocking them for it, but I'm recognizing that the game has less meaning than if they were approaching it the same way we were. They have a new coach and they desperately need to remove the stink of Rod Marinelli who was 6-20 over his last 26 games. (and also botched MANY personnel moves such as getting rid of Cutler & probowl Brandon Marshall while drafted Tim Tebow)

Look, there's a reason that the Detroit Lions have are 2-0 preseason right now and have gone 3-1, 3-1 & 4-0 their last 4. Oh and don't forget that 4-0 preseason? that's when they went 0-16. If you're really playing to win a preseason game you're going to win it.

Look, here's an example from this game: Our left tackle D Bell was clearly getting outperformed by Dummerville & Von Miller, by Chan Gailey's own words he refused to shift protections over and refused to allow TE or RB chipping to slow them down. Thus whenever Bell was beaten that current play was in serious jeopardy of being ruined and the entire possession(!) could be ruined. And in fact both of these things happened more than once.

That is NOT playing to win the game, that is playing to evaluate how players are playing. This is not what the Denver Broncos were doing in this game.

I think you need to read the post I responded to and my original post. The claim was the Denver played that way to entertain the fans. I am not denying the intensity they brought, what I am saying is that it was not to entertain fans, that it was for the reason I listed above among other things. I already stated in several threads the meaninglessness of preseason record and sited the same Detroit Lion stats about how they went 4-0 then 0-16 in the same season. Nothing I have said has anything to do with any of that.

I was simply responding that Denver came out with intensity because thats how they wanted to play, not for the sole purpose of entertaining fans at a preseason game or watching at home. If they were concerned with entertaining fans, Tebow would have gotten in with at least the 2nd unit and had more than 2 pass attempts.

We just need to accept the fact that there will be times he has us pulling our hair out when he tries to make a play he has no chance of making. I love his moxie, but as Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations."

He will throw his share of picks, overthrow, underthrow, and throw behind his receivers. And I will say "WTF!"

But I know that most of the time he's going to make the right calls to put us in a position to make a play.

Fitz will do until we get the next franchise guy. We can certainly do worse.

GO BILLS!!!

Agree...on all accounts

Edited by Alphadawg7

The combined record of those opponents was 75-69. Also, when making an argument, I always refrain from downplaying big games that ostensibly pad stats. Every freaking player in the league has games like that. On the flip side, they also have terrible games that don't accord with their overall record either. In any event, why focus only on the final nine? Why not the final ten?

In baseball stats analysis SSS (small sample size) is an enemy. Why not in football? Eliminating outliers is fine, but then one should do so for both the peak and trough performances. What's happening here is basically cherrypicking. Having an opinion is fine, and there are even some good points made here by Alphadawg, but they don't tell the whole story.

Fitzpatrick is one of the smartest QBs in the league. Lack of awareness is something that is not a concern with him. Denver was blitzing like crazy, sending 5 and 6 guys on almost every passing play, which probably caught the entire Bills offense off guard. Teams generally don't blitz like that in preseason and I think that Denver's blitzing was for the purpose of putting on a "show" for their fans. Fitzpatrick knows how to tip off players to when and where the blitz may come. He got his wakeup call and won't be a sitting duck next week.

Fitz doesn't do these things because he isn't interested in doing them. And because of the old "buddy" system, he isn't MADE to do them. Your'e right about one thing though, He IS one of the smartest QB's in the league. -Fitz knows he isn't going anywhere with this team. Still, he's figured out a way to pad his stats so that he looks better than he actually is. Once we dump his sorrry butt, some other team will undoubtedly pick him up due to his passing yards. I used to wonder why he made certain throws. -Throws that made no sense. Now I know it's because he's playing the system. Biding his time, and cashing his paychecks. This guy no longer cares if we win or lose.