Cam Newton better be good

Assuming the rumors on the Bills being high on Newton were correct, Newton better not be a bust for the simple reason that if he does bust, how much confidence can you put in our front office, whose predessors' records leave a lot to be desired.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming the rumors on the Bills being high on Newton were correct, Newton better not be a bust for the simple reason that if he does bust, how much confidence can you put in our front office, whose predessors' records leave a lot to be desired.

Had a long drive yesterday for work, car I was in had Sirius radio (hooray!), all reports: Cam Newton is the real deal.

Watching B.Smith, watching Nesbit, Gailey wanted Newton...HARD. And if Newton's the real deal (as all reports have thus far indicated), I would have been there to say "I told ya so." :flirt:

I said all along: Gailey + Newton = WOW

I love this board.

So you're going to base your opinions of the Bills FO on whether or not the the Carolina Panthers can turn Cam Newton into a great football player? Because rumor has it the Bills really wanted to draft Newton.

Isn't there a laundry list of more substantial things on which your opinion of the Bills FO could be based? You know, like things that are actually within their control.

Edited by Joe Miner

So...

If he's good: "Bills suck for not moving to draft him!"

If he's bad: "Bills suck for rating him highly!"

Got it! :D

They NEVER had a chance to move up. So it's if he's good-Bills staff is an improvement. If he's bad, it's same old scouts-nothing more to read into it.

They NEVER had a chance to move up. So it's if he's good-Bills staff is an improvement. If he's bad, it's same old scouts-nothing more to read into it.

Oh, so this IS a serious thread? :unsure: yikes...

You do realize that success with one team does not mean he would be successful with every team, right? And failure with one team does not mean he would fail with every team, right?

Each team has different situations, and coaches, and levels of talent at different positions.

This almost makes me want to go re-open the Moran thread...

I agree with you. I think if by some fluke both Cam and Dareus had been on the board, Chan Gailey and Buddy Nix would have picked Cam, which would have been a mistake IMO because Dareus was the best playr in the draft bar none. I also believe the stories that had Nix trying to trade up to draft Tim Tebow (who is well on his way to being a third string QB in Denver). I think they are also probably interested in Pryor, as some have reported.

IMO Cam may not exactly bust but I believe that he will underperform relative to his first overall selection and the expectations some have for him.

My concern is that Chan may be a college coach (in spite of his pro experience) and a gadget player/system junkie. I don't believe any of that translates very well to the NFL over the long haul.

Oh, so this IS a serious thread? :unsure: yikes...

You do realize that success with one team does not mean he would be successful with every team, right? And failure with one team does not mean he would fail with every team, right?

Each team has different situations, and coaches, and levels of talent at different positions.

This almost makes me want to go re-open the Moran thread...

I can't agree with this. Tell me the last highly picked QB bust who failed one place & succeeded somewhere else. If the guy busts in Carolina, he'll bust league-wide.

According to your logic, Maybin has a chance to thrive in NY.

A bust is a bust is a bust.

I can't agree with this. Tell me the last highly picked QB bust who failed one place & succeeded somewhere else. If the guy busts in Carolina, he'll bust league-wide.

According to your logic, Maybin has a chance to thrive in NY.

A bust is a bust is a bust.

Youre comparing apples to oranges, and again just because one player is a bust everywhere, you can not apply that "as a rule" to all players. ESPECIALLY Quarterbacks.

Cam will be starting this year in Carolina. In Buffalo he'd have at least this year to sit behind Fitz and learn the offense. He would have a different coach, and different offense, and be developed differently.

You are correct that SOME busts would be busts everywhere, and SOME successful players would have success everywhere. But not ALL in ANY situation.

Also "Tell me the last highly picked QB bust who failed one place & succeeded somewhere else"... :unsure:

ok, Ill make it up since we are making up logic here... Jason Campbell busted in Washington but was successful in Buffalo at the same time. :blink: any other impossible statements youd like me to make?

Edited by DrDareustein

I agree with you. I think if by some fluke both Cam and Dareus had been on the board, Chan Gailey and Buddy Nix would have picked Cam, which would have been a mistake IMO because Dareus was the best playr in the draft bar none. I also believe the stories that had Nix trying to trade up to draft Tim Tebow (who is well on his way to being a third string QB in Denver). I think they are also probably interested in Pryor, as some have reported.

IMO Cam may not exactly bust but I believe that he will underperform relative to his first overall selection and the expectations some have for him.

My concern is that Chan may be a college coach (in spite of his pro experience) and a gadget player/system junkie. I don't believe any of that translates very well to the NFL over the long haul.

The bottom line is, until they prove otherwise, I'm not ready to say Nix/Gailey are the answers to turning this team around. Many people here have expressed confidence that they are. I'm going to look at every decision & idea they have before I join the Nix/Gailey bandwagon. If they are right on players unavailable to them, at least it gives me a reason to get near the bandwagon. If they're wrong on both Bills' picks and other teams picks, I'm going to be concerned.

Youre comparing apples to oranges, and again just because one player is a bust everywhere, you can not apply that "as a rule" to all players. ESPECIALLY Quarterbacks.

Cam will be starting this year in Carolina. In Buffalo he'd have at least this year to sit behind Fitz and learn the offense. He would have a different coach, and different offense, and be developed differently.

You are correct that SOME busts would be busts everywhere, and SOME successful players would have success everywhere. But not ALL in ANY situation.

Also "Tell me the last highly picked QB bust who failed one place & succeeded somewhere else"... :unsure:

ok, Ill make it up since we are making up logic here... Jason Campbell busted in Washington but was successful in Buffalo at the same time. :blink: any other impossible statements youd like me to make?

You don't have to make up things. I asked a simple question: Look at all the 1st & 2nd round QBs who busted. Find me one who succeeded with his next REAL team. It's not that hard that you have to make up something like a guy going to a team he didn't go to. Just look at the guys like Leaf, Harrington, etc who failed everywhere they went.

Edited by Albany,n.y.

The bottom line is, until they prove otherwise, I'm not ready to say Nix/Gailey are the answers to turning this team around. Many people here have expressed confidence that they are. I'm going to look at every decision & idea they have before I join the Nix/Gailey bandwagon. If they are right on players unavailable to them, at least it gives me a reason to get near the bandwagon. If they're wrong on both Bills' picks and other teams picks, I'm going to be concerned.

Why so scared? What do you have to lose in just being a fan? You are trying reeeeally hard to stretch logic to protect yourself from... what?

I actually like the Bubbas, and my sense of it is that they are clearly better draft day pickers than the prior braintrust. But I agree, we need to see how it all pans out.

You don't have to make up things. I asked a simple question: Look at all the 1st & 2nd round QBs who busted. Find me one who succeeded with his next REAL team. It's not that hard that you have to make up something like a guy going to a team he didn't go to. Just look at the guys like Leaf, Harrington, etc who failed everywhere they went.

That's not the premise of your thread or statements.

Wow, you are bad at this simple logic stuff.

To play along, Steve Young wasnt great in Tampa Bay. Brett Favre wasnt great in Atlanta. McNabb was very good with his first team, and horrible in DC. None of this means anything though...

Edited by DrDareustein