Cedar Point amusement park - who's been?

JÂy RÛßeÒ

We've got a trip set up soon to go to the Roller Coaster capital of the world. Who's been there done that?

Did you stay on-site or off? if on, what can you tell me about the different hotels? Staying on-site gets you an hour earlier admission - is it worth it? You also get parking included - how is parking if you stay off-site and drive to the park?

did you go to the water park too? if so, how does that compare to others? We're spending a day at Great Wolf Lodge before we hit Cedar Point so that might be enough water...

What's the best discount option for tickets? We've seen a combo with the Rock N Roll HOF that we're considering.

Favorite Rides? Least favorite?

We've got a trip set up soon to go to the Roller Coaster capital of the world. Who's been there done that?

Did you stay on-site or off? if on, what can you tell me about the different hotels? Staying on-site gets you an hour earlier admission - is it worth it? You also get parking included - how is parking if you stay off-site and drive to the park?

did you go to the water park too? if so, how does that compare to others? We're spending a day at Great Wolf Lodge before we hit Cedar Point so that might be enough water...

What's the best discount option for tickets? We've seen a combo with the Rock N Roll HOF that we're considering.

Favorite Rides? Least favorite?

We stayed off of the grounds Rodeway Inn i believe it was, about 2 min away. If you want to get on the Top Thrill Dragster, you have to get to the park the second it opens, if not a little before. We did and we still had to wait 45 min to get on the ride. Well worth it though 0-120 in 5 seconds!!!!

The water park was a good time, but it wore us out. We spent about 8 hours there, and by the end we were all wiped.

Place to eat is Famous Daves. It is right by the park. Best BBQ in town, with the best ribs. Get the Dinner Combos. I believe there is one for 2-4 people. Comes with Ribs, Chicken, Beef, Cornbread and your choice of 2-3 sides. Numerous award winiing BBQ sauces to chose from.

No WAY! Is this place still rockin'?? I went there as a kid back in the 70s when I lived in Ohio. Unreal!

Next thing you guys are going to tell me is that King's Dominion is still operating...

No WAY! Is this place still rockin'?? I went there as a kid back in the 70s when I lived in Ohio. Unreal!

Next thing you guys are going to tell me is that King's Dominion is still operating...

Ha, I grew up in Richmond.....King's Dominion was the shiznit. The Rebel Yell, The Shockwave (somebody died on it), the Grizzly, the Hurler, and the Andaconda.......good memories. :thumbsup:

Ha, I grew up in Richmond.....King's Dominion was the shiznit. The Rebel Yell, The Shockwave (somebody died on it), the Grizzly, the Hurler, and the Andaconda.......good memories. :thumbsup:

Heck yeah, that place ruled!

Have been going one or two times a year since I was old enough to drive. Living in Columbus makes for an easy 2 hr trip each way. I've never stayed on site so can't really comment on that. I've stayed off site at some of the nearby campgrounds (younger days, no $), and at hotels a couple miles from the park. Be warned I'm pretty sure all of the hotels that are right outside the main entrance are a little "sketchy". Check tripadvisor for some reviews. Last time we stayed over was somewhere a few miles away where there was a bunch of hotels and lots to eat. We had a BW3's within walking distance so that worked out good for some post-park cold ones.

As for the rides, you simply won't find a better place if you're a coaster fan. The rides aren't as heavily themed as say Disney. The focus is more on the rides themselves. I'm not a big fan of spinning, fair type rides so I usually stick to the coasters. One exception being Maxx Air. Its a big pendulum ride that also spins slowly. You actually get somewhat upside down. Pretty wild. For the coasters, my favorite 3 are Dragster, Millenium Force, and Maverick. They're also the busiest, but I wouldn't miss any of them. In between these, I'd suggest hitting some of the "2nd tier" coasters. Raptor, Wicked Twister, Magnum xl-200, and Gemini fall in this category according to my highly official rankings. The other ones I really don't bother with anymore. Mantis is a stand up coaster that looks kinda cool but can be quite uncomfortable. Mean Streak is a big wooden coaster that just beats the hell out of you, so I've moved on from that. All the remaining coasters are pretty weak so we don't mess with them. Power tower is a drop type ride thats pretty fun. We usually try and hit our top 3 once or twice a day depending on crowds and spend the rest of the time in between on the "2nd tiers". These all should have comparatively short wait times so it's easy to ride them a bunch of times. Hope that helps let me know if you have any more questions!

I went last year. Haven't been back to Ohio this year...probably won't go while it is still open. It is easy to spend an entire day there and be worn out. Going early you'll be among the crowd, which thins out later as the day passes. Do not waste all your time in lines in the morning, go enjoy some of the other rides while the other lines are long.

Maverick is new, amazing. It goes insanely fast really quick and an inverted fall of 95degrees. You go past vertical.

Raptor is cool, it beats you up more then most but it was one of the first of its kind.

Mantis is fun, but the trick is do not lock your legs perfectly standing straight, it'll kill your balls. Stand with just a little slack so you can use your legs for balance while you ride.

Gemini is always a fun one, along with Blue Streak. Blue Streak may look lame - but it is a very old very throwback ride. You will not hit your head on the beam, no matter how many times you ride it you still get a woah.

You must, of course, go on Mean Streak, at one point the fastest, tallest, longest wooden coaster in the world. It will beat the sht out of you though!

Magnum XL is just great. It is probably the most fun, especially because it was a coming of age ride. When I was first tall enough to ride the big ones this one came out. It was the tallest, the fastest, the highest rated coaster in all of the world for a long time. The first to break 200 feet, as well.

Of course, you have to then go to Millenium Force, which is the 2nd tallest coaster in the world. Do not forget when you get on that it goes quickly to the top. Look out, you might see Canada - no joke. The lines there usually last over an hour.

The water rides are great, the rules are were pretty strict finally - no flauting around in bikini's like girls used to do.

Do not waste your time with Disaster Transport. No need to get in to it. The only reason people like it - you can stand in an AC building for a little while.

Wildcat is an old fashioned type - circle design, I use to love it as a kid.

The Mine Ride is entertaining and will hurt your ribs. The Corkscrew and Iron Dragon are really fun, too. Corkscrew literally throws you over and over and you pass the midway, as well.

Wicked Twister has long lines but it is fun...but just not the best.

One of the best is Top Fuel dragster. Launched from an aircraft carrier catapault you go 0-fast in quick. (I forgot just how fast). You go 300 feet straight up, and take some time to stand and watch. One out of every 12 coasters doesn't get enough steam to make the raise and falls fast as hell back down - I tried to get on enough to have this happen but it didn't! They weigh each cart and have to calculate the amount of force - which is scary because the kids who run the place are usually teens who get high and drunk every night and live at the dorms.

I did not do MaxAir - I think it was not being used for part of the day due to rain showers. The same with Skyhawk. I did Power Tower a long time ago but the line is not worth it after you've done it a few times.

If you do Windseeker, I want to hear about it.

You can go to Cedar Points Youtube Page and watch each ride from multiple perspectives!

A lot of other fun things are there, too. Use time between every 4-5 rides to go somewhere. If you go on the paddleboat in Camp Snoopy, bring your snacks and eat'm there. The train is always pretty cool - makes you feel like a kid when you see the little shoot outs and stuff. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM. I am surprised more haven't answered.

Just got back today... Spent Monday and Tuesday at the park... Sandusky is almost exactly 1/2 way between BFLO and CHI... Met my brother and his family there... We stayed out of the park... Was nice, first time there... The big coasters got real crowded even being on a Mon and Tues... The big ones like the Dragster, Millenium Force, and Maverick were all about an hour wait. Rode the new "Windseeker." Pretty cool, line goes fast.

I would say Maverick was my favorite.

Have fun!

Oh.. Got tickets at Meijer... The cost was 71 for a two day pass... Both "Soak City" (waterpark) and the main park.

I

Magnum is under hyped and IMO is one of the best coasters there. Magnum is fantastic and Top Fuel Dragster is a must ride. TFD isn't my favorite though because the lines are long and it's a very short ride.

There's also a coaster you stand up on that will leave you weak in the knees .

OH, and the big swinging donut is AWESOME!

Oh yeah, and Disaster Transport SUCKED!

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

Magnum is under hyped and IMO is one of the best coasters there. Magnum is fantastic and Top Fuel Dragster is a must ride. TFD isn't my favorite though because the lines are long and it's a very short ride.

There's also a coaster you stand up on that will leave you weak in the knees .

OH, and the big swinging donut is AWESOME!

Oh yeah, and Disaster Transport SUCKED!

Magnum is nice... Long and smooth... They can get a bunch of trains on the tracks... So the line moves!

The new "Windseeker" is cool... Like the classic "swings" on steroids! Takes up about 300 feet... Kinda like flying in a plane!

Great stuff guys - keep it coming! :thumbsup:

jboy has given an excellent review of the rides so I wont bother. But we went last year for the first time. My wife was too scared off rides but came to give us company. By the end of the day the security staff had to drag her off Gemini cos the park was ready to close. So we now have made it a plan to go every year and we did go this year also. We love the park so much that we rather drive the 5+ hours than go to the local Six Phlags.

I have not gone to the waterpark, just the regular side. They really have their act together.

We stayed off site in a pet friendly hotel. In June, they had weekday tickets at a steep discount so we got them there. I think there is a local Meijer which has the best prices - ask the locals when you get there if you dont buy in advance.

While you are there, make a one day trip to Put-in-bay (the decent playground for adults). Bars, parasailing, boating, walking, golf carts all over the island etc

Magnum is fantastic and Top Fuel Dragster is a must ride. TFD isn't my favorite though because the lines are long and it's a very short ride.

Top Thrill dragster !!! 0-120 mph in 4 seconds, then straight up and corkscrews down ! I didnt have the guts to do it but my daughters did it twice.

I remember going to Cedar Point in college on a somewhat rainy and cold Spring weekday.

Even though the cold was hard to handle, there were no lines at any of those rides. if you can imagine it, we were riding these coasters and immediately getting back on in 2 minutes. A rare experience after you've been before and stood in 2+ hour lines in 90 degree summer heat.

Top Thrill dragster !!! 0-120 mph in 4 seconds, then straight up and corkscrews down ! I didnt have the guts to do it but my daughters did it twice.

Only 17 seconds... How bad can it be? It really wasn't bad... Just gotta put your faith in the 19 year old operator! Anyway... Did you check out the "sling shot" mechanism? They were cooling it with water... :D

Only 17 seconds... How bad can it be? It really wasn't bad... Just gotta put your faith in the 19 year old operator! Anyway... Did you check out the "sling shot" mechanism? They were cooling it with water... :D

Did you see when they don't fire someone all of the way up??

they should have fired a second one to dislodge it!

Jay, I was there not too long ago and stayed at the Breakers on site. It was pretty nice and not overly expensive compared to staying a bit farther away. What I liked the best about that hotel was the fact it was quick to get to when it downpoured on us the first hour or so we were in the park. Also great if you want to take a little break from all the roller coasters before round 2. Another plus is that its on the beach of the lake erie which provides another amenity for entertainment. The hotel has a TGI Friday's, a hibachi restaurant, and a Perkins in it and as i recall they weren't grossly over priced. the hibiachi place was actually quite good for dinner. The Breakers also has discounts on tickets for the park and water park as well so I would check them out.

Jay, I was there not too long ago and stayed at the Breakers on site. It was pretty nice and not overly expensive compared to staying a bit farther away. What I liked the best about that hotel was the fact it was quick to get to when it downpoured on us the first hour or so we were in the park. Also great if you want to take a little break from all the roller coasters before round 2. Another plus is that its on the beach of the lake erie which provides another amenity for entertainment. The hotel has a TGI Friday's, a hibachi restaurant, and a Perkins in it and as i recall they weren't grossly over priced. the hibiachi place was actually quite good for dinner. The Breakers also has discounts on tickets for the park and water park as well so I would check them out.

Friday's was overpriced... What Friday's on the planet doesn't have free soda refills? Well this one didn't... The waitress kept filling my glass... Then I at bill time, I noticed I had bought 10 dollars worth of Pepsi... WTF! I didn't even ask for the refills! Can't use corporate coupons either... :doh:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Friday's was overpriced... What Friday's on the planet doesn't have free soda refills? Well this one didn't... The waitress kept filling my glass... Then I at bill time, I noticed I had bought 10 dollars worth of Pepsi... WTF! I didn't even ask for the refills! Can't use corporate coupons either... :doh:

Go to chik filet. It isn't open on Sunday, though.