Revised Strengths and Weaknesses

I was unusually excited to watch the first preseason game due to all of the new players, and many question marks on this team. The game made me re-think some opinions I had before the game...

READ THIS -> Obviously this is one meaningless preseason game, it doesn't mean much I know. Players/coaches could completely turn these opinions around by the start of the season. Here are some thoughts anyway based on the game/last year/camp. I am not a pro scout, nor claim to be. These are simply my opinions and in reality mean nothing. Feel free to add, counter, or ignore...

In General

-Gailey has a clue on offense

-Brad Smith will be key, especially if he can learn to actually throw (how was he a QB?)

-Our starters are ok, our vet starters look pretty good. If we can stay healthy, I think we can compete. If not, we are screwed.

-We have almost no depth (not a surprise)

-After Stevie Johnson I am a little worried about our recievers, Namaan looks to possibly be the best of the rest...Thats not a good thing.

-Our starting LB's could actually be a strength, not weakness if healthy

-Our o-line is as bad as advertised - Pears looked decent in pass protection, but needs strength. Got pushed back on pass plays, no push on run plays. Wood, Levitre are fine. The rest is a mess.

-Special Teams, why did we let Bobby April go again?

Specific players

Looking good

Merriman - If you watched the game, you would have to be blind to not be impressed. He dominated every play...PLEASE STAY HEALTHY

Dareus - Small sample so far, but he looks to be the real deal

Kelsey - Everyone hates him, but he looks just fine when playing on the line. Flame away.

Andra Davis - Looks like his old self, exactly what we need in the Middle...again PLEASE STAY HEALTHY

Carrington - Could be a factor

Spencer Johsnson- Good to know we have capable vet's on the D-line, one position with depth (DB too).

Barnett - We haven't had a combination of speed and skill at this position in a long time.

Fred Jackson - our unquestioned #1

Not looking so good

Mansfield Wrotto - Please cut him immediately

Troup - I saw the same troup I saw last year, no push... The 2nd string o-line moves him around at will...Flame away

Torbor - I am not sure he is worth keeping as a backup, give the young guys a shot. He looks lost.

McKelvin- Looking like a bigger and bigger bust every play...At least let him return it, he's good at that.

Buster Davis - Sorry Nix, this guy was a bad choice when you were in SD, he's still a bad choice. Get over it and let him go...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Wow, and you figured all that out after one pre-season game. The only thing that I agree with is that your observations mean nothing. It was the FIRST PRE-SEASON GAME! Relax and let the pre-season play out. Someone who looked horrible in week one might look great in weeks 2,3 and 4.

Wow, and you figured all that out after one pre-season game. The only thing that I agree with is that your observations mean nothing. It was the FIRST PRE-SEASON GAME! Relax and let the pre-season play out. Someone who looked horrible in week one might look great in weeks 2,3 and 4.

What was the point of your post, I said the exact same things in the OP. These were nothing more than observations on, YES THE FIRST PRE-SEASON GAME. I am aware of that. Simply pointed things I noticed in this game, combined with thoughts from last year and training camp. It was mostly positive. I was looking to see if other Bills fans had other opinions, not meaningless responses...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

What was the point of your post, I said the exact same things in the OP. These were nothing more than observations on, YES THE FIRST PRE-SEASON GAME. I am aware of that. Simply pointed things I noticed in this game, combined with thoughts from last year and training camp. It was mostly positive. I was looking to see if other Bills fans had other opinions, not meaningless responses...

Not sure why you're getting the negative responses, I appreciated your thoughts. I think some people need to stop being on hair triggers to shoot down any criticism of the team.

- Buster Davis just joined the team

- Troup just got the cast....learning how to play with it

- Pears did better then most of the OT's we were wanting the bills to bring in.....but we have do depth

- Carrington is a player

- The reason why Lee is gone is because we have depth at the receiver spots.....so I am not worried...but I wanted to see a LOT more out of Easley

- Chandler looks like a player

- While I thought our starting defense was flat out dominant......I was trying to figure out what happened when we put in our second string in the middle of our defense....Barber was eating us up.

- Buster Davis just joined the team

- Troup just got the cast....learning how to play with it

- Pears did better then most of the OT's we were wanting the bills to bring in.....but we have do depth

- Carrington is a player

- The reason why Lee is gone is because we have depth at the receiver spots.....so I am not worried...but I wanted to see a LOT more out of Easley

- Chandler looks like a player

- While I thought our starting defense was flat out dominant......I was trying to figure out what happened when we put in our second string in the middle of our defense....Barber was eating us up.

I would agree with most of this. I thought Pears looked ok, but I am certainly not ready to crown him a capable starter yet. Who gives us the O-line depth?

I just don't see anything special out of Davis, certainly not better than our young guys yet. I like our WR depth, I would just like to see someone stand out as a starter, luckily we have 3 more pre-season games to try and figure that out. I was hoping to see more Nelson at starting WR. Gailey had said Easley was going to see only limited action due to his training camp injury. I was happy to see him look healthy though.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I happen to be someone who is not worried about our wr's in the least bit. Last season when forced into action at Miami, Jones, Nelson, and NR all played excellent on the road against a decent Defence and as rookies. No Evans and no Parrish to help take some of the pressure off of them but it didn't matter. Basing their performances from 1 freaking preseason game when most of them played with the 2nd string and 3rd string O.line is just a joke.

When Parrish returns to health, he will be our number 2 wr like he was last season before he got hurt. When we go 5 wide and have parrish and spiller out of the slot, it is going to create so many mismatches underneath it will open up the outside for Stevie and who ever else is on the other side. And last but not least, Easly has had all of 1 or 2 practices and you want to say he looks like a bust after one preseason game? Wow. Do some of you need wetnaps and nipples for your beers?

If we stay healthy this season, I fully expect our O to score a lot of points and have lots of success passing the ball, including going deep. Can we just sit back, try and relax, and remember that our starters will get more reps as the preseason goes along and guys like davis and easley will get better and better as they actually get a chance to practice with the rest of the guys???

Go Bills!!

I was unusually excited to watch the first preseason game due to all of the new players, and many question marks on this team. The game made me re-think some opinions I had before the game...

READ THIS -> Obviously this is one meaningless preseason game, it doesn't mean much I know. Players/coaches could completely turn these opinions around by the start of the season. Here are some thoughts anyway based on the game/last year/camp. I am not a pro scout, nor claim to be. These are simply my opinions and in reality mean nothing. Feel free to add, counter, or ignore...

In General

-Gailey has a clue on offense

-Brad Smith will be key, especially if he can learn to actually throw (how was he a QB?)

-Our starters are ok, our vet starters look pretty good. If we can stay healthy, I think we can compete. If not, we are screwed.

-We have almost no depth (not a surprise)

-After Stevie Johnson I am a little worried about our recievers, Namaan looks to possibly be the best of the rest...Thats not a good thing.

-Our starting LB's could actually be a strength, not weakness if healthy

-Our o-line is as bad as advertised - Pears looked decent in pass protection, but needs strength. Got pushed back on pass plays, no push on run plays. Wood, Levitre are fine. The rest is a mess.

-Special Teams, why did we let Bobby April go again?

Specific players

Looking good

Merriman - If you watched the game, you would have to be blind to not be impressed. He dominated every play...PLEASE STAY HEALTHY

Dareus - Small sample so far, but he looks to be the real deal

Kelsey - Everyone hates him, but he looks just fine when playing on the line. Flame away.

Andra Davis - Looks like his old self, exactly what we need in the Middle...again PLEASE STAY HEALTHY

Carrington - Could be a factor

Spencer Johsnson- Good to know we have capable vet's on the D-line, one position with depth (DB too).

Barnett - We haven't had a combination of speed and skill at this position in a long time.

Fred Jackson - our unquestioned #1

Not looking so good

Mansfield Wrotto - Please cut him immediately

Troup - I saw the same troup I saw last year, no push... The 2nd string o-line moves him around at will...Flame away

Torbor - I am not sure he is worth keeping as a backup, give the young guys a shot. He looks lost.

McKelvin- Looking like a bigger and bigger bust every play...At least let him return it, he's good at that.

Buster Davis - Sorry Nix, this guy was a bad choice when you were in SD, he's still a bad choice. Get over it and let him go...

I feel like we could've posted this like a week ago if we wanted to be honest. Few surprises out there, just a matter of health if we are closer to the first pick or .500

I happen to be someone who is not worried about our wr's in the least bit. Last season when forced into action at Miami, Jones, Nelson, and NR all played excellent on the road against a decent Defence and as rookies. No Evans and no Parrish to help take some of the pressure off of them but it didn't matter. Basing their performances from 1 freaking preseason game when most of them played with the 2nd string and 3rd string O.line is just a joke.

When Parrish returns to health, he will be our number 2 wr like he was last season before he got hurt. When we go 5 wide and have parrish and spiller out of the slot, it is going to create so many mismatches underneath it will open up the outside for Stevie and who ever else is on the other side. And last but not least, Easly has had all of 1 or 2 practices and you want to say he looks like a bust after one preseason game? Wow. Do some of you need wetnaps and nipples for your beers?

If we stay healthy this season, I fully expect our O to score a lot of points and have lots of success passing the ball, including going deep. Can we just sit back, try and relax, and remember that our starters will get more reps as the preseason goes along and guys like davis and easley will get better and better as they actually get a chance to practice with the rest of the guys???

Go Bills!!

I don't think that anyone said, or in anyway suggested that Easley looks like a bust, did I miss something? He is one of our better prospects at WR (although completely unproven).

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Why didn't Batten-2 sacks and Heard - 1 sack look good to you???

Just because I forgot to mention them doesn't mean that they didn't look good. Heard looked very good to me, as a matter of fact he was the player that stood out the most to me of the 2nd/3rd teamers. So you are right, he should have been mentioned. Batten got a lot of playing time and wasn't a factor at times, I guess I just want to see more of him...He has a lot of promise though.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Expect to see a lot more Nelson/Easley/Jones soon. I think 2 of them, plus Naaman, make the 53.

I would agree with most of this. I thought Pears looked ok, but I am certainly not ready to crown him a capable starter yet. Who gives us the O-line depth?

I just don't see anything special out of Davis, certainly not better than our young guys yet. I like our WR depth, I would just like to see someone stand out as a starter, luckily we have 3 more pre-season games to try and figure that out. I was hoping to see more Nelson at starting WR. Gailey had said Easley was going to see only limited action due to his training camp injury. I was happy to see him look healthy though.

I don't think that anyone said, or in anyway suggested that Easley looks like a bust, did I miss something? He is one of our better prospects at WR (although completely unproven).

Actually yes they have..which is why I included that comment in my post. People went way overboard saying he looked lost, slow, and 'clueless', just to quote a few words being thrown there. Take a look at some of the posts regarding last nights game and you'll quickly come across them. Shall I copy and post some for you instead??

I did not see the game, but I cannot understand the above. How could he look "decent" on pass protection if he was pushed back?

Understandable

He got pushed back, but did not get beat. He has really long arms, and seemed to use them well. This was too small of a sample to make real meaningful judgement so take it for what its worth. My impression from that game wa that he looks to have the ability to control speed rushes, but not the bulk or strength to handle strong bull rushes. I did not see any player beat him, but he did get pushed into the pocket a few times.

I had a bad impression of him based on his history, so for me it was a "decent" showing. Obviously we need to see more

Actually yes they have..which is why I included that comment in my post. People went way overboard saying he looked lost, slow, and 'clueless', just to quote a few words being thrown there. Take a look at some of the posts regarding last nights game and you'll quickly come across them. Shall I copy and post some for you instead??

Oh, from other threads...I thought you were replying to someone from this thread. If people are saying Easley is a bust, I agree with you that that is a little ridiculous. We have seen a few plays in 1 preseason game...I don't know how anyone could make a logical "bust" judgment on him yet. That is definitely overboard IMO. Plus the guy was a 4th round pick...A 4th round pick after 1 year of being injured is a "bust"?

Edited by Turbosrrgood