Carrington

5 Wide

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll burn the hell out of you for that... not sure if you're just trying to stir the pot a bit or if you are serious, but it's a ridiculous notion to trade Williams, and even the Bills on their worst day would not think of trading him (I hope anyway) As for who starts opposite Dareus, that would be Kyle Williams. They are not planning on using Williams at tackle in their 3-4 alignment so that renders Edwards as a backup in that scheme, which they will not use exclusively. I think Carrington takes the OLB spot held by Kelsay if it comes down to where he needs to be on the field.

Well, I was serious and yes I do like to stir the pot. Let me ask you this genius. If Williams is playing the other DE (which he hasn't at all because he's been playing NT alongside Dareus) who is gonna play DT? And yes I'm dead serious about trading away Willoams in another year or so if Carrington, Troupe, Jasper, Heard, Moats, Batten all work out and improve at thier positions. I'm a realist and I personally believe that getting rid of players approaching the 30 year mark in thief lives is ALWAYS a good thing unless your talking about a probowl QB. And especially if youbcan get a 1st rounder for that aging player. Football players rarely last past 30 and when they do, thier skills decline rapidly.

Well, I was serious and yes I do like to stir the pot. Let me ask you this genius. If Williams is playing the other DE (which he hasn't at all because he's been playing NT alongside Dareus) who is gonna play DT? And yes I'm dead serious about trading away Willoams in another year or so if Carrington, Troupe, Jasper, Heard, Moats, Batten all work out and improve at thier positions. I'm a realist and I personally believe that getting rid of players approaching the 30 year mark in thief lives is ALWAYS a good thing unless your talking about a probowl QB. And especially if youbcan get a 1st rounder for that aging player. Football players rarely last past 30 and when they do, thier skills decline rapidly.

Obviously there are a lot of "IFs"in that post. I see your point. New England does it all the time and have used it as a way to stockpile draft picks for years. If you draft well and build primarily through the draft, you will get to a point where trading away aging "stars" isn't out of the question. If done right, you keep flipping aging players for high draft picks, keep raising the bar on the overall talent level of the team and always have a fresh stream of talent developing in the wings. I think we're a few years away from that luxury though.

Edited by shoveldog

Easy Francis. Skill players at speed positions decline when approaching 30, D-lineman continue to perform well into their 30's. You would sacrifice another 6-7 years of stellar play out of Williams (he just turned 28) for a first round pick? As for the alignment, arguing where they are going to line up is a matter of semantics since the defense is going to be a hybrid of the 3-4 & 4-3 alignments. When playing 3-4, Kyle Williams will likely not be at the nose, i would expect to see Troup or Dareus take that role. In the future i wouldn't ask people to flame you if you don't want to be flamed.

I might get flamed for this but I wouldn't trade Williams (the best guy on last years team IMHO) for Andrew Luck.

I kinda agree with this. As good as Luck is, it's still college and he played for a great offensive mind (see Josh Johnson's college stats under Harbaugh). There are zero guarantees with college players.

As for Carrington, I thought we were only allowed to give players one season before we announce they are busts? Our d line could be beastly this year and for the foreseeable further. That goes a huge way in winning games, especially in Buffalo.

I thought he had a great rookie year in limited action. I was very suprised he didnt play a lot more when Edwards went down. In fact, Edwards went down in the Steeler game and Carrington came right in and had a good QB pressure and a sack on back to back plays. Im expecting a lot from Carrington. Troup, not so much

I don't think you're giving Troupe enough credit. The guy had a hand cast on during this last preseason game. I've been high on Carrington since last year - I thought he showed flashes of real potential, not just as a big 3-4, occupy blockers, type of end, but as a dynamic, run stuffing/pass rushing complete package. I could see him having 5-8 sack seasons as our DE, lining up beside K. Williams and Dareus. And, I think he is fine as a 4-3 DE, too, when we go to that look.

As for Troupe, I think we've got a real decent player, and one who, like Williams, will get better as time goes on. He's got good conditioning for a big guy, and he likes to lift and stay in shape. I believe we were hearing more about him from camp before he hurt his hand than we were about Carrington. I think we've got a really solid young D-line with Dareus, Williams, Carrington, and Troupe. If Jasper somehow survives and shows he's got it, then we're that much luckier. The group kind of reminds me of Green Bay's D-line group, only with greater potential. Two pro-bowlers out of 3 on a 3-4 D-line.

Trouper has done a great job on his strength over the off season "from what i have read and bits of video". I guess he was focused after last season on working core and the uppers and all reports from camp were good. it was mentioned that his hand work was greatly improved quite ironic i thought when the news flashed broken hand you mentioned sllib olaffub and i agree , Troupe has a place on the team now and may be with us for our run! Carrington's potential is being developed and he has alot to offer for sure.

it kinda tough to not get excited for the next year or 2 as these kids come along, even sweeter is the guys they are playing next to this year. I mean really how can they resist getting better and better then? lot of good men for our defensive front this year. i would be delighted to keep Jasper and although it's a little sentimental ( good Kid, ya can tell) i think with the right guys training him he could be a Bill. He knows he needs work and has said so. So he will put his best effort in i bet.

As for your last and most charismatic sentence also. Go Bills!

He'll have to leap over Spencer Johnson too. Unless in the coaches eyes he has already..SJ could be a salary dump. (hope not)

Noooooo!

This guy does his job and does it well.

He knows he isn't a starter and probably never will be,

But he is a phenomenal rotational swing lineman.

He can play every position on the line. Never bitches or complains

and has been more productive than kelsay since coming here in half the snaps