Lee Evan's effect on Stevie Johnson

coltrane34

Did Lee Evan's made Stevie Johnson's a star  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Will Stevie be as effective without Lee Evans drawing all of the double coverages?

• No, he will not make as many plays now that he will face double coverages every play.
    • Yes, he will do just as well now that he is the main WR.
    • Defensive coverage has no effect on Stevie's game, He is a star.

I wouldn't say he is screwed but it will be a challenge for a guy that hopefully had his break out season last year not just a statistical anomaly. It's how this game works. SJ might see a drop in the numbers and some other guy starts to benefit and we will talk about how SJ isn't a #1, trade him away for something and WR X is the real #1.

Here's the thing... last year Evans got not only the best CB covering him, but also double teamed and/or safety help. This freed up SJ to go against 2nd/3rd best CBs and with little/no safety help. Does SJ have the physical skills to beat a top CB with help? Personally, I don't think so. I think he's a good route runner, and that's about it. We'll need other guys to step up and take pressure off of him, which I think Evans was perfect at.

Here's the thing... last year Evans got not only the best CB covering him, but also double teamed and/or safety help. This freed up SJ to go against 2nd/3rd best CBs and with little/no safety help. Does SJ have the physical skills to beat a top CB with help? Personally, I don't think so. I think he's a good route runner, and that's about it. We'll need other guys to step up and take pressure off of him, which I think Evans was perfect at.

I'm with ya 100% but I guess I'm just taking the optimistic route. We'll have to wait until the regular season to see if the wheels fly off or if the Bills offense actually improves and keeps on rolling. We have guys that can run but I don't know that defenses will double them every play. Stevie will get a LOT more attention.

I don't think it will make much of a difference...Stevie is constantly open, and was getting the double coverage toward the end of last year not Lee...

Dude seems like he could get open in a telephone booth, and that might be the most difficult skill to learn as a WR and he makes it look easy...

I'm with ya 100% but I guess I'm just taking the optimistic route. We'll have to wait until the regular season to see if the wheels fly off or if the Bills offense actually improves and keeps on rolling. We have guys that can run but I don't know that defenses will double them every play. Stevie will get a LOT more attention.

I don't know if the overall offense will be effected that much, we weren't exactly great last year anyways. I just think it'll be spread around a bit more and SJ's numbers will lag dramatically.

at the WR position, no one will.

Easley: 0 career starts.

Roosevelt: 3? starts

Jones: 5 or 6 starts

Let's hope Andrew Luck pans out, because with a WR core like that, there ain't gonna be much passing offense, and as we ALL know, this is a pass-first league.

You left out nelson,and parrish. Dont be silly.

I wouldn't say he is screwed but it will be a challenge for a guy that hopefully had his break out season last year not just a statistical anomaly. It's how this game works. SJ might see a drop in the numbers and some other guy starts to benefit and we will talk about how SJ isn't a #1, trade him away for something and WR X is the real #1.

Wait so do to Stevie what we did to Lee? How many chairs are there? When do we stop the music? When do we stick with our guy?

I don't think it will make much of a difference...Stevie is constantly open, and was getting the double coverage toward the end of last year not Lee...

Dude seems like he could get open in a telephone booth, and that might be the most difficult skill to learn as a WR and he makes it look easy...

Here's the thing ... you might be right. I'm hoping you are and he certainly had moments of brilliance last year. I have no problems with SJ.

I DO have a problem buying that our WR corps is as deep as it actually is. There are too many unknowns. None of the other WRs have shown anything in the NFL. Some haven't even played a down. WR has one of the fastest learning curves, so experience isn't a huge factor. But no one really knows how good any of these guys are outside of Roscoe. They all could be as good as everyone thinks, in which case that's fine. I'm an optimist and I'm excited for this season with or without Lee.

What disturbs me is the timing of the move and the compensation. I'm not a GM. I'm not anything. So it's very possible that the 4th rounder was the best the Bills could possibly get. But in my opinion, if you factor in the other blunders that have gone on in the past decade, or just the blunders of the Nix regime (of which to be fair the jury is still out on most of those "blunders) -- then at first blush this looks like a bad deal.

Is it?

We'll find out.

He was the number one receiver from week 3 onward and look at the numbers he put up. He was being doubled teamed last year I'm sure but he still managed to get open and make plays. Evans' departure doesn't change that. I predict very similar numbers to last year's if not better.

No offense but I think if you go back and look at stevie's big plays from last year you will see it was Evans who drew the double and Stevie's DB actually left him open to go become the 3rd db on Evans. I Can't say for certain but Stevie's impact seemed to drop when Evans went down for the season. Evans was a class act and I hope he does well in B'more, I also hope the Bills have an answer for his loss.

Edited by Tarkus II

It's quite funny how it seems like every report commenting on the trade from the Ravens angle, local and national, says Lee Evans will be the perfect complement and deep threat opposite Anquan Boldin. Well, guess what, Anquan Boldin is a 6'1 215# physical wide receiver with great hands and jumping ability who runs great short routes, often making spectacular catches one on one but doesn't get deep.

Steve Johnson is a 6 2" 205# physical wide receiver with great hands and jumping ability who runs great short routes, often making spectacular catches one on one but doesn't get deep.

What's wrong with this picture?

It's quite funny how it seems like every report commenting on the trade from the Ravens angle, local and national, says Lee Evans will be the perfect complement and deep threat opposite Anquan Boldin. Well, guess what, Anquan Boldin is a 6'1 215# physical wide receiver with great hands and jumping ability who runs great short routes, often making spectacular catches one on one but doesn't get deep.

Steve Johnson is a 6 2" 205# physical wide receiver with great hands and jumping ability who runs great short routes, often making spectacular catches one on one but doesn't get deep.

No offense, but I don't think anyone is confusing the playing styles of Stevie and Boldin. Totally different players in my mind. Stevie is very shifty and would rather run out of bounds than seek contact, whereas DBs have a tendency to bounce off Boldin.

Let's see.

1) Baltimore now has Lee Evans, not us.

2) We are counting on an X factor to replace Lee Evans. Kinda like waiting for Shawn Nelson to pan out. How's that working for us?

3) Our compensation for Lee is a late round 4...which has brought us the likes Tim Euhus and Ko "I'm worth millions"

Simpson. /facepalm

4) Stevie Johnson has 4.6 speed. Jerry Rice has 4.6 speed. We're totally set.

No offense, but I don't think anyone is confusing the playing styles of Stevie and Boldin. Totally different players in my mind. Stevie is very shifty and would rather run out of bounds than seek contact, whereas DBs have a tendency to bounce off Boldin.

The only difference is the way they use their physicality. I totally agree that DBs bounce off Boldin and he is super strong. But SJ goes over the middle, they both have big strong hands, they both make catches with DBs draped over them. They both run similar routes and don't often run deeper routes. They both are great on jump balls and wrestling the ball away from defenders to make the catch. The only difference is Boldin is a little wider, stronger and encourages contact. They both run and make the same kinds of plays against the same kinds of players. Boldin is shifty, too.

Unless one of the other guys steps up, SJ is screwed.

Yo Sir D, is the glass half full or half empty?, that's the whole idea...! Buddy said as much after the trade. Stevie may draw double coverage at first but once Freddie,C.J., and Johnny, start tearing up the run, 7-8 men in the box will open the aerial attack and with Chan being as creative as he is, everybody is gonna touch the ball ! It's gotta start with the running game for a couple reasons;, #1. the o-line needs to develop an attitude quickley which will in turn aid in pass protection because it will toughen them up and it's supposedly easier to run block. Chan said he was going to simplify it for the young guys right? and #2. Simplifying things leads to expansions of those concepts, in other words, success breeds success! The o-line showed some pass blocking skills last year as evidenced by Fitz performance, but they rarely established the run, and now it's time to do so with 3 differnt weapons in the back field. Familiarty with the offense will go a long way, there's only a few new pieces to the offense, Johnny White, Buster Davis being to of the more notable, so the base for knowledge of Chan's scheme is pretty broad. It should help alot. Can't wait to get started. Go Bills!