Fans should realize we are still in rebuilding mode.

I have little regard for the Bills' buffoon owner. But in this situation the owner is on board and supportive with Nix's plan to re-stock the bedraggled team he took over. So to be fair I have to give credit to the owner on this issue. RW has been convinced by Nix that the haphazard and ad hoc way the franchise has been run is futile. Having a blueprint and sticking with it is the right approach to take.

As I stated in a prior posting the best way to measure the success in Nix's draft first to rebuild strategy is to observe how his last year's draft class is contributing this year. Then, the measure next year is how is this year's draft class, in general, performing next year.

The Bills' won/lost record this year is not going to be good. However, if the base of young players develop then one can say that this franchise is finally on the right track. Being a Bills' fan is not for the faint of heart.

Yes , i agree, but you left something out. Once the players are developed, will the FO be willing to pay them to stay here? That's not something I'm sure RW will do. It's one thing to draft well and develope your players, and another thing altogether to keep them once they hopefully are developed into good players.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Raiders have Al Davis. The Bengals have Mike Brown. The Bills have Ralph Wilson. These organizations reflect the caliber of their ownerships. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. If you want to discuss excellence and the quest for winning a Super Bowl that is fine. But what it takes to pursue excellence is not going to come from where it needs to come, first and foremost: the owner. You are astute enough to recognize that after a half century of running this franchise in a certain tight-fisted way there are some things that are simply not attainable. I don't consider myself to be a cynic or prefer pursuing a lower standard because it is easier to do than pursuing excellence. However, I'm at the point where I want to see this franchise run in a reasonably competent manner within the confines of its owner driven limitations

That is a pretty objective take, my friend. I understand what you mean. Quite frankly, I've thought for years now that Ralph has pulled in the horns and the fans clamoring for "one last go" were barking up the wrong tree.

I have no clue what you mean. I would be interested to know what you meant.

Send me a PM... :)

Nix has stated that he wouldn't have drafted a player such as Maybin because of his lack of college experience. Is he telling the truth? I think he is. As far as being a consultant I don't believe he had the authority to make the picks. I put the onus on the people in position of authority at the time-----Jauron/Levy/Brandon/Modrak. Do I know for sure who he recommended? As an outsider, not really. Not having a defined organizational system of authority is a classic example of management ineptitude.

Not trying to confuse the issue, sorry. No, I don't think Buddy made that call. I do take him at face value (is there any other?) that he didn't think much of the pick. On the other hand, he was there. Bringing in a consultant should have been a management tool to evaluate both the existing team as well as the consultant himself if he was being considered as someone to be brought in to an authority role (at least with a competent manager with a plan it would have been). The results were underwhelming from either perspective: the existing team screwed the pooch on Maybin and Nix, who may have been correct, was apparently not effective enough with the team to bail out the process. (The same management team, minus Jauron and his staff, was kept in place recall.) But that's how Ralph has always run his business... Nothing new to see here.

As I have stated in other postings the best way to judge Nix's competence is to judge last year's draftees performances and contributions this year. This year's draft should be judged by their performances next year. There is no quick fix. It is going to take time. Buddy certainly isn't a genius but I do believe he is competent. Only time will tell.

Pain. Lots of Pain. Patience. Be very patient. B-)

Yes , i agree, but you left something out. Once the players are developed, will the FO be willing to pay them to stay here? That's not something I'm sure RW will do. It's one thing to draft well and develope your players, and another thing altogether to keep them once they hopefully are developed into good players.

Not to mention that every team drafts players. And every teams' fans get jacked up about the new names.

The act of drafting is not the cause to the effect of actually building a playoff team.

That goes to the heart of the matter. Let's see how things materialize. I'm certainly not going to assume that the owner and his money reps (Littman & Oberdorf) are on board. The owner is in his 90s. I see his involvement with the team diminishing. (I'm not trying to be disrespectful---its part of the life cycle that mental acumen and physical energy decline as we get older.) If that is the case then do Littman and Oberdorf have more authority in managing the operation? If that is the case then the prospects from a competing standpoint are not very good for this franchise.

Edited by JohnC

Not trying to confuse the issue, sorry. No, I don't think Buddy made that call. I do take him at face value (is there any other?) that he didn't think much of the pick. On the other hand, he was there. Bringing in a consultant should have been a management tool to evaluate both the existing team as well as the consultant himself if he was being considered as someone to be brought in to an authority role (at least with a competent manager with a plan it would have been). The results were underwhelming from either perspective: the existing team screwed the pooch on Maybin and Nix, who may have been correct, was apparently not effective enough with the team to bail out the process. (The same management team, minus Jauron and his staff, was kept in place recall.) But that's how Ralph has always run his business... Nothing new to see here.

From what I understand Modrak brought in Nix. I'm not confident if it is true. What I do know for sure is that Nix let Modrak go. That, in my view, is a positive development and also an indication that he was not satisfied with the way the player (college and pro)evaluation system functioned.

It was Nix who hired Gailey. Was it a top tiered selection? Not necessarily. But without a doubt it was a solid selection. Nix brought in Whaley, a young executive from a winning Steeler organization. The Steelers thought enough of him by offering him a raise to stay. He wanted a chance to spread his wings outside the comfortable home nest. My interpretation of the Whaley hiring is that Nix was getting away for the Wilson insular approach. That is a good sign, as was the Wannestedt hiring, again an outside the organization hire.

My main thrust in cataloguing some of Nix's decisions is not to demonstrate that he is a shrewd and exceptional GM. Odds are very good that he is not at that elite level of GMs and will never get to that lofty point. But what I feel comfortable in concluding is that he is a solid football person who has a clear blueprint on how to rebuild a demoralized and much ridiculed franchise into a respectable and competitive franchise. The notion that the Bills are going to be an elite team is way down the road. As long as the organization is moving forward and managed in a normal way I'll be satisfied at this embryonic stage of development.

Pain. Lots of Pain. Patience. Be very patient. B-)

Sometimes reality can be a biitch. Slog on, and keep slogging on. As long as you are moving forward you will get to your destination.

Edited by JohnC

That goes to the heart of the matter. Let's see how things materialize. I'm certainly not going to assume that the owner and his money reps (Littman & Oberdorf) are on board. The owner is in his 90s. I see his involvement with the team diminishing. (I'm not trying to be disrespectful---its part of the life cycle that mental acumen and physical energy decline as we get older.) If that is the case then do Littman and Oberdorf have more authority in managing the operation? If that is the case then the prospects from a competing standpoint are not very good for this franchise.

If the money counters are making personell decisions then you know you have a lousy franchise.

If the money counters are making personell decisions then you know you have a lousy franchise.

The money counters have had a long history of being involved in the football operation. That is the primary reason why Polian was let go. The organization is in a shambles from a football standpoint. From a business standpoint it is Wilson's golden goose that continues to lay lucrative eggs for him.

The only thing I am dissappointed in is the 4th round pick for him. Thought it was a bit low (3rd sounds realistic). But other than that Evans is a one dimensional WR with fly route capabilities that can't run the crucial underneath and timing routes in the NFL. He does not make or break our offense and has pretty much been invisible for a number of years now. Did we really lose a leader? I dunno, I never seen it on the field. Was he a class act? Sure.

However, I don't mind dumping his salary for the sacrifice of the rebuild, locking up guys like Williams and Stevie long term, hopefully have a top 3 draft pick next year and make a splash next offseason in fa to polish the turd into one shiny one. :)

We are not winning this year anyways. Its not that bad people.

Not sure when rebuilding meant trading away your best players, letting your best players leave and still-STILL-making every move with cost cutting in mind. Anyone who doesn't think trading Lee Evans was a salary dump has no clue whatsoever when it comes to the tightass Ralph Wilson and his piss poor ownership, not to mention always having his hand out for money from the fans but doesn't give a roosters nuts if he puts a decent quality product on the field. Go Cheap Or Go Home (the Bills' motto).

Your question was about the team: Last winning season was 7 years ago. Last time in the playoffs was 11.

If your question had been about Nix: He has been the GM for 20 months, but "rebuilding" would be the wrong verb. Unless his function is to rebuild a really bad team into a newer brand of really bad team. Hmm... on second thought... B-)

I really want to give Nix a chance and I understand his philosphy to build from the draft. I just think that he is ignoring other opportunities to improve the product on the field while we all wait for "his draft picks" to save the day.

This year all the new rookies get a pass, even Dareus. I do expect to see why he drafted Spiller at #1 and Troupe at #2. My money is on Troupe to be a bigger contributor than Spiller. I would love it if they both step up.

This year I expect to see the great improvement in the OL by the addition of waiver wire stalwarts such as Urbik and Pears. Nix likes these guys soooo much that he did not draft OL until round 5 and no FA pick ups so far.

I have been following this team since 1963. I am waiting and I expect I will still be waiting long after Nix is gone.

From what I understand Modrak brought in Nix. I'm not confident if it is true. What I do know for sure is that Nix let Modrak go. That, in my view, is a positive development and also an indication that he was not satisfied with the way the player (college and pro)evaluation system functioned.

It was Nix who hired Gailey. Was it a top tiered selection? Not necessarily. But without a doubt it was a solid selection. Nix brought in Whaley, a young executive from a winning Steeler organization. The Steelers thought enough of him by offering him a raise to stay. He wanted a chance to spread his wings outside the comfortable home nest. My interpretation of the Whaley hiring is that Nix was getting away for the Wilson insular approach. That is a good sign, as was the Wannestedt hiring, again an outside the organization hire.

My main thrust in cataloguing some of Nix's decisions is not to demonstrate that he is a shrewd and exceptional GM. Odds are very good that he is not at that elite level of GMs and will never get to that lofty point. But what I feel comfortable in concluding is that he is a solid football person who has a clear blueprint on how to rebuild a demoralized and much ridiculed franchise into a respectable and competitive franchise. The notion that the Bills are going to be an elite team is way down the road. As long as the organization is moving forward and managed in a normal way I'll be satisfied at this embryonic stage of development.

Sometimes reality can be a biitch. Slog on, and keep slogging on. As long as you are moving forward you will get to your destination.

Unfortuneatly reality for this team as long as Ralph is the owner, the destination will always be last place and top 10 drafting every year. We have been rebuilding for over a decade, but all he has to do in dump one cheap front office and bring in an even cheaper one and dumbass fans here think that the team is heading in the right direction. The only right direction in Buffalo is when the dollar sign in point up towards Ralphs bank account. The entire NFL is laughing at the Bills organization and the entire country of football fans are laughing at Bills Nation and not believing how gullible we are.

• 2 weeks later...

That is highly doubtful. Modrak checked out a while ago, and it was only thanks to Wilson's operation that he held on to the job. If you're looking for a reason why Nix was brought back, look no further than the animosity between AJ Smith & Ralph Wilson.