For those that are worried about the O-line

You're the OL coach of the Bills aren't you? Hey, come on. This team has had putrid OL's for a decade now. You think Buddy has addressed the line by picking up an assortment of waiver wire and PS acquisitions - really? I get it that players improve. But we have three honest to God question marks on this line. Bill Belichek's book talks about Buffalo's "horsesh*t line" because that's what it has been. That they took a run at Clabo was good, but it didnt' work. The idea is still correct, we do not have quality and depth at these key positions. Maybe Wang will improve. Great. He's got a few weeks to be able to handle some big time NFL pass rushers. I'm just saying Buddy has had a year now to at least pick up one other solid starter to brace this OL. Having a one or two question marks is a lot better than what we have now, other teams cast offs and UDFA's who may "weigh a ton' but can't protect the passer or pave the way for a run game.

And by the way, I'm not sure where all the Whitner/Maybin and other references made it into your response, but those criticisms didn't come from me. I just think our OL, as configured, is not very good and I stand by the statement.

I didn't say that you said that about Whitner and Maybin, only that that is a constant drone around TSW. And whether or not the line is crud or not, Nix has addressed it. Maybe it turns out he's right, maybe that you're right. But to say he hasn't addressed it is simply not true. In any case, I don't believe he's content with what he has (a good GM never is)and we can expect him to keep working on it through the season and into the next off season. in the meantime, I'm willing to give the line at least a couple of exhibition games before I write them off.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but alot of those other 30 GMs have at least one NFL caliber OT on their squad... We have none...

Actually, I am not a big fan of Gaither... But look at all the other OTs that we apparently didn't even attempt to sign... Free from Dallas and Yanda from Baltimore just to name a couple... Nothing says that you have to wait on Clabo like we did while he took our offer back to Atlanta to match... We would have had to overpay ANYONE to come here but when you are sitting on over 30 million in cap space you can afford to overspend abit - especially at a critical position... Clabo was hardly the only up and coming young player out there....

Because you KNOW that we didn't make an attempt to sign them? No, you don't know. You assume. You just don't get it, most players don't want to come play in buffalo. Moving your family from a place you've been awhile to another can be hard. Moving them from Atlanta or Dallas is borderline stupid. We have to get lucky and hope a player is willing to come here. The good players are getting millions and millions of dollar regardless or who they sign with. No offense, but I'd take a couple million less to live somewhere desireable. You ca'tn take your money with you to the grave.

At the end of the day, it's hard to escape the simple idea of signing at least one competent OT. Just one. Not even a star. Just a good starter. We have three question marks out of five players and zero depth at tackle. I love the team and support Channix and like what I see for the most part. But the unwillingness to address the OL is puzzlement - and it will kill us (hopefully not Fitz) this year. And if you all believe we'll be OK, or short passes and screens will disguise our bad line, I invite you to watch Ed Wang in practice. D.Bell goes down and that's what we have to step in. Sweet Jesus Buddy, do something.

Right, because it would be unrealistic to think that Bell will not get hurt at all. He has been injury prone to this point in his short career.

Which is exactly what I've been saying. This is why it is important to draft CBs and not OL.

Think of it this way:

Drafting OL in a passing league would be like building an Igloo in Florida. An Igloo would melt under the heat of the Florida sun. An OL would melt due to the speed inherit in a passing game. A DB is more like a modular building. It can be built out of just about any material that fits its environment.

I don't understand the igloo analogy. If it's a passing league, don't you need a solid OL to block for the QB so he can pass?

Stock response to any complaint about any free agent that the Bills pass on - well 30 other teams passed too.

And few of those teams have O-Lines as suspect as ours. Maybe we could have brought him in for a cup of coffee and a quick physical? Obviously he passed the Chiefs physical. I'll bet Pioli signed him to an incentive laden contract. He did build the Patriots and is successfully rebuilding the Chiefs after all. Hes not so dumb.

I hope I can make it across the border.

I hope to see my friend, and shake his hand.

I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams.

I hope this group of scrubs playing o-line doesn't get Fitzpatrick killed.

I hope...

When I picture Fitz heading towards the goal line with the ball, it always makes me laugh. Ryan Fitzpatrick... who crawled through a river of sh*tty linemen and came out clean on the other side. Ryan Fitzpatrick... headed for the endzone....