Wildcat

I think it's time to rename the way we use it to the "Wild Bill"!!!

Because he could do stuff like run for 293 yards and 5TDs like he did against A&M in 2003. Brad Smith was always a much better runner in college, he was never a real pocket passer although he was effective throwing the ball as well. 3 out of the 4 years in college he ran for over 1000 yards, including a 1300 yard season and a 1400 yard season.

I remember watching Brad Smith dominate for Mizzou. And he was a pretty good passer. There's strong competition in the Big 12, and Brad Smith was a terrific player. I think that Chan will find a way to take full advantage of the gifts of Brad Smith.

One good thing is that he can't be too banged up. He really didn't get the ball enough for the Jets. I'll bet he gives defenses big headaches this year. I was really happy they signed him.

He threw for nearly 9000 yards, and ran for over 4000 in 4 years. Scary good player.

Go see him throw.

Anyway this team neds tyo stick to a goal of improving on the fundamentals of offense, not thinking up cool running plays for Brad Smith. His value to the Jets came almost exclusively as a kick returner--that's where almost all of his "touches" came.

If Smith is behind center and Fitz is lined up in the slot, I think the opposing defense has a pretty good idea of what's coming, doc.

In the only practice I saw, the first one, Smith wasn't allowed to participate. How many practices have you been to, off of which you're basing your opinion? Remember that he just joined the team 2 weeks ago today, and wasn't allowed to practice until a week ago, today.

And if Smith lines up behind center and Fitz goes to the slot, it's an obvious passing play, right? ;)

Smith is a thoroughbred. I've seen his throws, and while they're not perfect spirals, they have good velocity, and a nice arc trajectory. Not perfect. But not ducks. As far as running, he has an almost seamless burst and acceleration. Like a Porsche. You have to literally stand in front of him to bring him down. DB's can't catch him. One step and he's GONE. I think the Fitz-huggers may be getting a little scared of his ability.

When did Kordell run the wildcat?

Dumbest comment of the year. Kordell was a running, throwing, catching, option QB in Pitt. Not exactly the Miami wildcat but the same idea of using a very athletic do it all guy at QB. He ran a spread pistol offense in KC with Tyler Thigpen running occasionally. And he has run a spread option offense in his college coaching days.

Dumbest comment of the year. Kordell was a running, throwing, catching, option QB in Pitt. Not exactly the Miami wildcat but the same idea of using a very athletic do it all guy at QB. He ran a spread pistol offense in KC with Tyler Thigpen running occasionally. And he has run a spread option offense in his college coaching days.

This ^. I wouldn't say the comment was dumb, since technically it wasn't called the wildcat when Kordell ran it. But the wildcat is basically just another name for an option offense (QB has the "option" to run or throw or toss), just like the pistol, or any other "nickname". They all may have their own tweaks and tendencies, but it is basically an option offense. Gailey was one of the earliest to try it in the NFL. I have no doubt that Gailey picked up Smith mainly for this purpose...KR, WR, are just secondary depth positions he can play.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Smith is a thoroughbred. I've seen his throws, and while they're not perfect spirals, they have good velocity, and a nice arc trajectory. Not perfect. But not ducks. As far as running, he has an almost seamless burst and acceleration. Like a Porsche. You have to literally stand in front of him to bring him down. DB's can't catch him. One step and he's GONE. I think the Fitz-huggers may be getting a little scared of his ability.

No he throws ducks and his throws don't have good velocity. I love Brad Smith but lets not get confused here, he's not going to replace Fitz as the starter or even Thigpen as the back up.

If I'm a CB and the QB comes out split wide, I'm cleaning his clock. The old BUMP and run. It's legal.

News flash, most QBs are bigger than most WRs and tougher than they look. They get roughed up by the 300lbers in the pocket, but I don't think they are going to get man handled by a CB most of the time.

Thank you god. Also someone was talking about the eagles wildcat trying to be too cute... last year on the first play of what seemed like every game they would have vick roll out looking like he was going to take off and chuck one to desean and it worked amazingly well. I consider that just like the wildcat just because a RB or a WR isnt the one behind center doesnt change the offensive scheme.

No he throws ducks and his throws don't have good velocity. I love Brad Smith but lets not get confused here, he's not going to replace Fitz as the starter or even Thigpen as the back up.

Looks like we have a difference of opinion here. But I think that one thing that's for certain is Fitz is in no danger of losing his job to Smith.

It's obvious he can run, which is why he also was returning kicks, but having him throw will open up our RBs to long passes since we know they can catch as well as they can run. The one thing I love about Chan is his creativity with the offense. Hoping we hold on to Evans, this should open him up as well if we spread 5 wide in the wildcat.