Steve Johnson's TDs

1. Against NE. Play action fake. Evans runs to the middle. Fitz looks at him. Then throws deep down the right sideline. The safety that was looking right at Evans until Fitz looks to SJ is late getting to the deep ball to Johnson.

2. Against the jets. Johnson is one on one. The Jets blitzed the safety. Evans had no affect on the play other than clearing the field. There was one rookie CB covering SJ who beat him.

3. Jags.#1 SJ is one on one against a CB and beats him. Safety on one side was on Evans. Safety on SJs side didnt cover anyone.

4. jags #2 Evans is on the left. SJ on the right. The safety looks and leans to Evans first, then is late getting to SJ who walks into the endzone after beating his man.

5. Ravens. Bills have multiple receivers. Two left and two right. Evans on the left. The one remaining safety lines up on the left hash, Evans side, quickly looks to Evans running deep and way late to get to the deep ball to SJ on other side of the field who beat his CB one on one.

6. Chiefs. 4 yard line. Evans lines up right. Two guys are on him. Johnson is on left with two remaining guys covering three Bills. Johnson beats his one man short for the TD.

7. Bengals #1. The Bills had three WR left and only Evans right. I can only see one safety on the replay. I assume he stayed with Evans on the right because he never appears on the screen. And I only saw two Cbs and Two LBs covering three Bills. SJ beat his man then avoiding the one safety who was late getting there. Evans either had no effect or took out two guys.

8. Bengals #2 Evans and (i think) Roscoe line up right. Three Bengals are on those two. SJ is alone one on one on the left and beats his man.

9. Bengals #3 Two guys cover Evans in the endzone. No one really covers SJ who cuts across the field wide open and walks in.

10. Evans didn't play. SJ is one on one on the left and beats his man with a great throw by Fitz.

None of the 10 TDs did SJ have two guys watching him. Most of the time when they played together, two guys were watching Evans.

http://www.nfl.com/scores/2010/REG15

On all of the ten plays, Stevie Johnson made an excellent play to beat his CB and/or hang onto the ball. Most of the time they were great passes by Fitz as well.

Wow... that analysis took some work. Great Job! Lee's a tremendous asset and I hope he doesn't depart via a trade.

Remember all those times we tried to say - oh just put Josh Reed or oh just put Roscoe on the outside, and it killed our passing game and held back the whole offense and stunted the whole teams growth... Yea I could see that happening again with an Evans trade. Right now we need to build momentum, not take our knocks. Without a starting caliber player or decent pick coming back, I can't see it as a positive.

And heaven forbid Stevie sprains an ankle if lees gone.

That's a very good observation NoSaint, which reminds me how smart was for Gailey to instruct his WRs to learn every position on offense.

1. Against NE. Play action fake. Evans runs to the middle. Fitz looks at him. Then throws deep down the right sideline. The safety that was looking right at Evans until Fitz looks to SJ is late getting to the deep ball to Johnson.

2. Against the jets. Johnson is one on one. The Jets blitzed the safety. Evans had no affect on the play other than clearing the field. There was one rookie CB covering SJ who beat him.

3. Jags.#1 SJ is one on one against a CB and beats him. Safety on one side was on Evans. Safety on SJs side didnt cover anyone.

4. jags #2 Evans is on the left. SJ on the right. The safety looks and leans to Evans first, then is late getting to SJ who walks into the endzone after beating his man.

5. Ravens. Bills have multiple receivers. Two left and two right. Evans on the left. The one remaining safety lines up on the left hash, Evans side, quickly looks to Evans running deep and way late to get to the deep ball to SJ on other side of the field who beat his CB one on one.

6. Chiefs. 4 yard line. Evans lines up right. Two guys are on him. Johnson is on left with two remaining guys covering three Bills. Johnson beats his one man short for the TD.

7. Bengals #1. The Bills had three WR left and only Evans right. I can only see one safety on the replay. I assume he stayed with Evans on the right because he never appears on the screen. And I only saw two Cbs and Two LBs covering three Bills. SJ beat his man then avoiding the one safety who was late getting there. Evans either had no effect or took out two guys.

8. Bengals #2 Evans and (i think) Roscoe line up right. Three Bengals are on those two. SJ is alone one on one on the left and beats his man.

9. Bengals #3 Two guys cover Evans in the endzone. No one really covers SJ who cuts across the field wide open and walks in.

10. Evans didn't play. SJ is one on one on the left and beats his man with a great throw by Fitz.

None of the 10 TDs did SJ have two guys watching him. Most of the time when they played together, two guys were watching Evans.

http://www.nfl.com/scores/2010/REG15

On all of the ten plays, Stevie Johnson made an excellent play to beat his CB and/or hang onto the ball. Most of the time they were great passes by Fitz as well.

Fantastic post. Send it to John Wawrow or someone in the mainstream media so that the masses can see how foolish the talk of getting rid of quality NFL starters is. In other news, Takeo Spikes had a great last year, and the Chargers were thrilled to nab him. Who did we get for him again? A useless fifth rounder? Darwin Walker?

Edited by dave mcbride

Fantastic post. Send it to John Wawrow or someone in the mainstream media so that the masses can see how foolish the talk of getting rid of quality NFL starters is. In other news, Takeo Spikes had a great last year, and the Chargers were thrilled to nab him. Who did we get for him again? A useless fifth rounder? Darwin Walker?

I think it's crazy to think about getting rid of Evans. Let's put it this way: Lets just say Evans is our #1 (which Gailey would say, Steve Johnson would say, Andre Reed just said, etc). Steve Johnson makes a great #2, Roscoe makes a very good #3, David Nelson makes a very nice #4, and Donald Jones or Naaman have NFL talent and for a #5 possess some skills. If you take away Evans, suddenly Stevie is a #1 who can't really go deep, Roscoe is a very questionable #2, David Nelson could still be a good #3 and Donald Jones and Naaman have NFL talent and still possess some skills, but have to produce on the field. To me, Roscoe is much better going against a #3 CB than a #2, and David Nelson is a complete mismatch for almost any #4 DB. It doesn't look nearly as good when those guys are bumped up a slot.

That said, even though I remember Evans getting double covered and extra looks when I watched the games last year, this little exercise just reconfirmed my suspicions and memory about Evans. But even more so, it made me remember how many great plays Steve Johnson made for TDs, even if one on one, something that cannot be under-estimated in this discussion. There is no need to break those two up, and again, with Roscoe and Nelson, along with maybe Easley and Jones, we have some weapons.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

You don't make the team better by cutting/trading proven and established starters just because there's a 4th round pick that might develop into a good player. Add in the fact that the player still has plenty of good, productive years left in the tank and any trade/cut would be idiotic. IMO it doesn't matter if he's the number 1 or 2 guy. For ex, how much worse did Cinci's offense get when they traded whosyourmama?

Bottom Line.... any talk of trading Lee Evans - one of our best WRs - is idiotic.

Thanks so much for these breakdowns! I'm firmly in the pro-Evans camp, and I feel like he has a positive effect on the offense even if the ball isn't being thrown his way. I just keep coming back to how bad our offense was once he went down last year.

the people in this post seem to be the only ones in the pro evans camp

Edited by aussiebills

A positive spin: had Stevie caught it, we most likely wouldn't have dareus.... And may have gabbert, locker etc

Trying to be an optimist. I remember thinking that the only good that comes from the drop was a higher pick. It may turn out to be a good thing. I'd always take a win bs Pittsburgh over a higher pick, but hey....I'm happy we have Marcelosaurus

Thanks for the effort Kelly. Nice post

That drop also cost the Ravens the division and a home divisional playoff game - they could have taken care of that themselves, of course, but things could have turned out differently for the AFC playoffs.

That drop also cost me the division in my fantasy league, too. A 40-yard TD would have won my game that week and put an extra few "donuts" in my pocket.

A positive spin: had Stevie caught it, we most likely wouldn't have dareus.... And may have gabbert, locker etc

Trying to be an optimist. I remember thinking that the only good that comes from the drop was a higher pick. It may turn out to be a good thing. I'd always take a win bs Pittsburgh over a higher pick, but hey....I'm happy we have Marcelosaurus

Thanks for the effort Kelly. Nice post

+1

You know what's really crappy about Stevie? He's the only receiver in the history of the NFL who ever dropped a critical pass. I'm done with the Bills and their cheap owner and their senile GM.

Hahahahaahaha

Another thing about that game can someone please find the video of the OT kickoff???? I am more upset about our own guy tackling our kick returner than I am about stevie dropping that pass.