OJ Simpson discussion

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/6907909/page/2/

2. O.J. Simpson (1969-79)

Before he became accused of more sinister actions, “The Juice” was an electrifying runner with unequaled explosiveness at the line of scrimmage that allowed him to use his world-class sprinter’s speed far downfield. His spectacular runs made the Buffalo Bills’ franchise so popular, the city built huge stadium in the suburb of Orchard Park. Simpson’s accomplishments – he retired No. 2 on the all-time list behind Jim Brown and has an NFL-best six 200-yard games – are more remarkable when you realize that he played mostly on poor teams. The Bills made the playoffs only once in his nine seasons and were 43-81-2.

Former NFL coach George Allen said Simpson “was the best late-game running back I ever saw, even better than Brown. No one ever took a beating better.” He was hardly touched, however, early when he was – incredulously – used as a receiver, kick returner and “decoy” in his first three seasons. Simpson didn’t have a 1,000-yard season until Lou Saban took over in 1972. He barely totaled 1,000 yards in his final two injury-riddled seasons in San Francisco.

Noteworthy stat: In 1973, “The Juice” gained an NFL record 2,003 yards in 14 games, including 200 yards in the snow at Shea Stadium against the Jets in the season finale.

NBC Sports rates OJ the 2nd best running back of all time. We all know OJ isn't a good person and I think that hurts him on these types of lists sometimes. I'm happy the guy's in jail. But back in the day, he was awesome to behold. For you youngsters out there, things were different in those days. Of course, the season was only 14 games long. And rule changes since OJ's time have all been designed to help the offense (more offense = better ratings). When OJ rushed for 2,000 yards, only 4 other backs ran for over 1,000. The best of those had 1144 - only 57% of OJ's total. Never in modern NFL history has a running back finished so far ahead of his peers (which included the likes of Floyd Little, Mercury Morris, Calvin Hill, Larry Csonka, Chuck Foreman, Franco Harris and other talented backs).

I despise OJ the killer. I admired OJ the runner. He wasn't just about speed. He had tremendous vision, incredible elusiveness and was surprisingly strong.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2000 yards in a 14 game season is pretty hard to disqualify or discredit. I give props to all the other 2k club members, but nobody but the juice did it in 14 games.

However, with that said, I had a lengthy conversation with Manny Fernandez and Bill Stanfill at the 2001 HOF induction ceremony (I was there for Marv, they were there for Nick Buonicont) regarding OJ's 2000 yard season. They literally went on and on about how much they despised OJ and him running up his yardage totals. They mentioned how he'd continue to run after the bills were down and in passing mode. They were very very sour on that note. Things got better for our conversation when I was able to produce a lighter for Manny's cigar. Fernandez went on to show off the Super Bowl XVII ring and made some light hearted stabs at us, ie. "being from Buffalo, I guarantee you've never seen one of these". It was a good conversation to relieve all of us from the boredom of sitting at the ceremony all day. We congratulated them for their boy Nick and they actually congratulated us for Marv and thanked us for coming.

If anyone remembers, that was they year when Buoniconti's paralyzed son stole the show.

... However, with that said, I had a lengthy conversation with Manny Fernandez and Bill Stanfill at the 2001 HOF induction ceremony (I was there for Marv, they were there for Nick Buonicont) regarding OJ's 2000 yard season. They literally went on and on about how much they despised OJ and him running up his yardage totals. They mentioned how he'd continue to run after the bills were down and in passing mode. They were very very sour on that note...

Sour pretty much sums up that entire era of Dolphins players. Was OJ the one calling plays? There is nothing else a back can do except try to get as many yards as he can on each carry. They make it sound like he was calling his own number running up the totals in garbage time when nothing could be farther from the truth. I'm sorry, you're trying to kill clock and protect the lead you give the rock to a back like OJ. Simple. And it wasn't like the Bills were always playing with the lead anyway.

They sound like your typical Dolphin players from the time. OJ took much of the luster from Csonka, Morris, and Kiick and they just didn't like it. That's how it looks anyway.

GO BILLS!!!

However, with that said, I had a lengthy conversation with Manny Fernandez and Bill Stanfill at the 2001 HOF induction ceremony (I was there for Marv, they were there for Nick Buonicont) regarding OJ's 2000 yard season. They literally went on and on about how much they despised OJ and him running up his yardage totals. They mentioned how he'd continue to run after the bills were down and in passing mode. They were very very sour on that note.

Totally legit criticisms, IMO.

We all know that OJ magically brainwashed that spineless pushover, Lou Saban. Saban had about as much backbone as a sea anemone.

And what was OJ thinking, stealing the ball out of Fergy's hands when he was dropping back to pass?

And why was OJ trying to run the ball?

He should have been running out of bounds or turning turtle… not trying to gain meaningless yardage.

Did the Miami guys pop a bottle of champagne while recounting their victories over the BIlls? Those guys are so classy.

Sour pretty much sums up that entire era of Dolphins players. Was OJ the one calling plays? There is nothing else a back can do except try to get as many yards as he can on each carry. They make it sound like he was calling his own number running up the totals in garbage time when nothing could be farther from the truth. I'm sorry, you're trying to kill clock and protect the lead you give the rock to a back like OJ. Simple. And it wasn't like the Bills were always playing with the lead anyway.

They sound like your typical Dolphin players from the time. OJ took much of the luster from Csonka, Morris, and Kiick and they just didn't like it. That's how it looks anyway.

GO BILLS!!!

We all know that OJ magically brainwashed that spineless pushover, Lou Saban. Saban had about as much backbone as a sea anemone.

And what was OJ thinking, stealing the ball out of Fergy's hands when he was dropping back to pass?

He should have been running out of bounds or turning turtle… not trying to gain meaningless yardage.

Did the Miami guys pop a bottle of champagne while recounting their victories over the BIlls? Those guys are so classy.

I wasn't exactly defending the dolphins players for their comments. They did have a valuable argument though.

OJ's biggest advantage was that NOBODY new he would get the ball on any given play.

GO BILLS!!!

I wasn't exactly defending the dolphins players for their comments. They did have a valuable argument though.

Never thought you were defending them, Corp. It's all good.

I just have little respect for most members of that Dolphin team. And I can find no legitimacy in Fernandez' argument at all. From any angle. The idea that a back can "run it up" as it were, is preposterous. OJ earned those yards. Everybody in the world new he was getting the ball and he still couldn't be stopped much of the time.

Manny and the boys should just worry about when they'll pop that next bottle of champagne. From him to Mercury Morris, I've never see a collective group of players enjoy denigrating the accomplishments of so many other great players.

GO BILLS!!!

Never thought you were defending them, Corp. It's all good.

I just have little respect for most members of that Dolphin team. And I can find no legitimacy in Fernandez' argument at all. From any angle. The idea that a back can "run it up" as it were, is preposterous. OJ earned those yards. Everybody in the world new he was getting the ball and he still couldn't be stopped much of the time.

Manny and the boys should just worry about when they'll pop that next bottle of champagne. From him to Mercury Morris, I've never see a collective group of players enjoy denigrating the accomplishments of so many other great players.

GO BILLS!!!

I like Manny Fernandez. He let me wear his Super Bowl ring.

I know you're just recounting an anecdote, Corp.

But I have no idea what those guys were talking about. Their comments are totally nonsensical. If they didn't like the playcalling, their gripe was with Saban, not OJ.

I suffered through our 0-for-the-70s against Miami and they're still higher on my "most-despised opponents list" than are the Patsies*.

Can't stand that team and their popping of champagne ritual was tacky and classless, IMO.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I know you're just recounting an anecdote, Corp.

But I have no idea what those guys were talking about. Their comments are totally nonsensical. If they didn't like the playcalling, their gripe was with Saban, not OJ.

I suffered through our 0-for-the-70s against Miami and they're still higher on my "most-despised opponents list" than are the Patsies*.

Can't stand that team and their popping of champagne ritual was tacky and classless, IMO.

I have heard this story many times, especially connected to the game in Buffalo where the dolphins won 17-0. The Bills kept handing off to OJ instead of trying to score, and Fernandez and Buonoconti ripped them for it.

My interpretation has been that the Dolphins of those years were angry that they were such a great team, on their way to a third consecutive Super Bowl appearance and a second consecutive championship, including an undefeated season in 1972, but the press went to OJ's 2000-yards. Being the "no-name defense' actually rankled them more than they want to admit. Just as there are many connected with those teams who lament the dismantling of the champion Dolphins after 1974, when Joe Robbie let Csonka and Kiick and Warfield leave for the WFL. The last great game for those teams was losing the heartbreaking "sea of hands" game to the Raiders in the 1974 playoffs, and it left Miami players and fans with a bitter taste in their mouths.

There is almost something tragic about how that 'Phins team ended up. But even at the time the 'Fins had a reputation as an unlikeable and arrogant. Whether that was justified or not is another matter, but it has both undermined any positive sentiments others feel about them and has also fed a sense of resentment among the Dolphins of that era that continues to this day and feeds their Schadenfreude when undefeated teams lose.

The only thing that upsets Dolphins vets and their fans more is that by the end of the 1970s people were calling the Steelers, with their 4 SB Championships, and not the Dolphins, the Team of the Decade. There is a lot of bitterness in South Florida.

P.S. Anyone interested in seeing some quality OJ highlights must go to YouTube and look at the videos posted by billcody1960 (who has posted the Bills' official highlight films from 1973-1975) and nitroradio99 (who has posted highlights of pretty much every Bills game from 1968-1972).

2000 yards in a 14 game season is pretty hard to disqualify or discredit. I give props to all the other 2k club members, but nobody but the juice did it in 14 games.

Actually, Barry Sanders did, he had 53 yards in his first two weeks of the season. Then he exploded for exactly 2000 yards in the last 14 games.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SandBa00/gamelog/1997/

Actually, Barry Sanders did, he had 53 yards in his first two weeks of the season. Then he exploded for exactly 2000 yards in the last 14 games.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SandBa00/gamelog/1997/

Let me see......53 yds the first 2 weeks....2000 the next 14 games.....14 games + 2 games = 16 games.

Someone isn't attending their summer school math class.

Edited by billsoverdue

Let me see......53 yds the first 2 weeks....2000 the next 14 games.....14 games + 2 games = 16 games.

Someone isn't attending their summer school math class.

Check your own math son. Barry got 2000 in 14 games, which was the Corp's question. He didn't specify that it needed to be in a 14 or a 16 game season.