Patriots sign shaun Ellis

Because for us on a team that let's be honest isn't gonna be a superbowl contender, and probably at the very best may just sneak into a wc race (being optimistic) Shaun Ellis would be a waste of a roster spot, cutting off the progression of people like alex carrington, marcel dareus, and the other de's on our roster. Would be a waste of 1 year deal. Where as for the Pats who are a superbowl conttender is a much better fit for this season. Especially since they got rid of Ty Warren, and don't have a heck of a lot in the way of depth at defensive end.

Ellis would be a rotational guy with both teams. And the Pats aren't stocked with DE's. In fact, I'd dare anyone to name both of their starting DE's, much less their expected backups.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all you fanatics: When are we signing a "good" RT??? Is the front office trying? I feel the AFC East is stocking up and the Bills are not adjusting. We need a RT!!

The Jets and Dols did not "stock up" and lost more than they gained. The Pats OTOH stocked-up on older guys.

As for RT, we've been down that road already.

The Jets and Dols did not "stock up" and lost more than they gained. The Pats OTOH stocked-up on older guys.

As for RT, we've been down that road already.

How do you figure the Jets lost more then they gained they have brought Burress and Mason in free agency to go along with santonio holmes that will be a deadly group if burress pans out they will a fantastic group... mason is old but just came off a solid season with 7 TD's over 60 catches and 800 yards.

I live in DC. There is 0.0001% chance the Hayensworth move backfires.

The Redskins are the arrogant party that didn't know what to do with the talent they had.

uh oh . then.

"How do you figure the Jets lost more then they gained they have brought Burress and Mason in free agency" ^because olde man Mason is 52 years old and burress leans to one said because he carries a gun and can only run out patterns because of it!

Actually Sanchez is yet to prove himself.

The Ellis thing is probably a goodish pickup all in all.

Edited by 3rdand12

How do you figure the Jets lost more then they gained they have brought Burress and Mason in free agency to go along with santonio holmes that will be a deadly group if burress pans out they will a fantastic group... mason is old but just came off a solid season with 7 TD's over 60 catches and 800 yards.

Burress has been away from the game for 2 years, is 34, and is already injured. Mason's numbers have been trending downwards for the past 4 years, he's 37, and will have to learn a new system quickly. Beyond that, they lost Woody and Brad Smith.

Maybe no genius, but he certainly gives the impression he knows what he's doing, don't you agree?

Absolutely. I wonder, though, what the Pats* would look like without #12 behind center. Just as I wonder what the Bills would have been without Kelly, the Colts without Peyton, the Steelers without Big Ben, the Packers without Rodgers, etc...it's amazing what an elite signal caller can do to mask other weaknesses.

The Pats* haven't won a SB since 2005 and the window of opportunity with Brady is starting to close. I see many of the recent moves by Belichick as realization he needs to try and get guys who can give him production for one or two years, while he still has his horse.

And I can't blame him.

How are they strange moves? Getting Haynesworth for a 5th round pick and a 5th and a 6th (2013 draft)? Good luck finding talent like that in the 5th and 6th round of this year and next year's draft.

Yea....Strange move. :rolleyes:

You mean finding someone like Kyle Williams?

Some teams seem to be trying to win this year. Others are trying to win 3-5 years out.

Its the same every single year though. Last year 3-5 year plan, the year before, 3-5 year plan, the year before that 3-5 year plan.

Its like that saying 'I like High School girls, I get older and they stay the same age' :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Absolutely. I wonder, though, what the Pats* would look like without #12 behind center. Just as I wonder what the Bills would have been without Kelly, the Colts without Peyton, the Steelers without Big Ben, the Packers without Rodgers, etc...it's amazing what an elite signal caller can do to mask other weaknesses.

The Pats* haven't won a SB since 2005 and the window of opportunity with Brady is starting to close. I see many of the recent moves by Belichick as realization he needs to try and get guys who can give him production for one or two years, while he still has his horse.

And I can't blame him.

Just as good. See 2008.

Dump offs and screen passes with perfect protection... any QB can win games.

Edited by Thoner7

Hey all you fanatics: When are we signing a "good" RT??? Is the front office trying? I feel the AFC East is stocking up and the Bills are not adjusting. We need a RT!!

Yeah because signing a RT would make us competitive with the Jets and Pats this year. They have their teams built and are signing older FA veterans to win now, which I would too. But to say the Bills aren't building a team because of what they are doing is just amateur hour.

Some teams seem to be trying to win this year. Others are trying to win 3-5 years out.

Its the same every single year though. Last year 3-5 year plan, the year before, 3-5 year plan, the year before that 3-5 year plan.

Its like that saying 'I like High School girls, I get older and they stay the same age' :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Just as good. See 2008.

Wrong. Decent number of wins, no playoffs. Try again.

Just as good. See 2008.

Nice Dazed and Confused reference.

But no.

The Bills are entering year 2 of a 3-4 year rebuild.

I doubt that they would say it publicly but most likely the goal is 8-8 this year.

Are you serious? "We'll see if the Patriots know what they're doing?"

You obviously don't watch football enough. What a n00b

The Pats may very well be the best club in the NFL right now - best head coach and best FO.

But that doesn't mean they are infallible.

And it seems they are rolling the dice a bit on these moves. Sorry if my opinion is different than yours.

As someone else pointed out, the Pats were 14-2 last year. So maybe the can afford to gamble. But when you have a good thing going, why bring in guys like Haynesworth and Ochocinco for potential short-term benefit when they threaten team chemistry?

The Pats may prove my concerns wrong. They certainly have a track record of success. Nonetheless, I think the concerns are legitimate. So I agreed with the previous poster who labeled the signings as "strange."

Even the Boston Globe (I think their beat reporters do watch the Pats) question the signings.

Maybe you don't read much so here are quotes and links:

"The Patriots were among the biggest newsmakers in the league coming out of the lockout, agreeing to trades for Ochocinco and Redskins defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth shortly after the NFL reopened for business. What's most unusual: Neither player is what's thought of as the usual type for Belichick, who prefers the quiet and businesslike to the guys who make headlines off the field. http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2011/07/30/ochocinco_says_he_can_change_to_patriots_way/

And in an article called "Patriot's Bad Call," a Globe Pats reporter questions the Haynesworth singing, "Is the team missing Myra Kraft's moral compass?" http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2011/08/02/patriots_bad_call/

This is a good signing for the Pats. They have a veteran guy who could possibly fill a need for them on the defensive line. I don't see the Pats being defined by this move or the Haynesworth move. They are a franchise with a huge margin of error. For that franchise at this time those players could possibly fit.

That said, I would hate the moves if the Bills made them. They are not at a point in their re-building process where these makes sense.

The Pats may very well be the best club in the NFL right now - best head coach and best FO.

And it seems they are rolling the dice a bit on these moves. Sorry if my opinion is different than yours.

As someone else pointed out, the Pats were 14-2 last year. So maybe the can afford to gamble. But when you have a good thing going, why bring in guys like Haynesworth and Ochocinco for potential short-term benefit when they threaten team chemistry?

The Pats may prove my concerns wrong. They certainly have a track record of success. Nonetheless, I think the concerns are legitimate. So I agreed with the previous poster who labeled the signings as "strange."

Even the Boston Globe (I think their beat reporters do watch the Pats) question the signings.

"The Patriots were among the biggest newsmakers in the league coming out of the lockout, agreeing to trades for Ochocinco and Redskins defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth shortly after the NFL reopened for business. What's most unusual: Neither player is what's thought of as the usual type for Belichick, who prefers the quiet and businesslike to the guys who make headlines off the field. http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2011/07/30/ochocinco_says_he_can_change_to_patriots_way/

And in an article called "Patriot's Bad Call," a Globe Pats reporter questions the Haynesworth singing, "Is the team missing Myra Kraft's moral compass?" http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2011/08/02/patriots_bad_call/

I find the reporter invoking the name of Myra Kraft to be offensive and disrespectful.

Yeah because signing a RT would make us competitive with the Jets and Pats this year. They have their teams built and are signing older FA veterans to win now, which I would too. But to say the Bills aren't building a team because of what they are doing is just amateur hour.

Never said that we would be competitive with the patriots or the jets this season but we are around 20 mil under the cap and have a need for RT why not go out and get one for a few years it should be part of them building a team anyway...

Burress has been away from the game for 2 years, is 34, and is already injured. Mason's numbers have been trending downwards for the past 4 years, he's 37, and will have to learn a new system quickly. Beyond that, they lost Woody and Brad Smith.

If burress is half as good as he used to brad smith will not be a loss at all and mason may be going down in statistics but those are still solid numbers especally for a guy that wasnt a number one reciever. He is a good possesion WR that will go and get the ball over the middle and take a hit. IMO the Jets have improved.

Just as good. See 2008.

Dump offs and screen passes?? He had a ypa of 7.2. Perfect protection? He was sacked 47 times.

Next...

Edited by Mr. WEO

Teams with strong coaches and a good locker room don't worry as much about team chemistry because the coach will get a player out even faster than they brought them in.

How are they strange moves? Getting Haynesworth for a 5th round pick and a 5th and a 6th (2013 draft)? Good luck finding talent like that in the 5th and 6th round of this year and next year's draft.

Yea....Strange move. :rolleyes:

I say strange moves because it is out of character with what BB has done so successfully for so long in the draft and free agency signings, and that is finding those young guys with raw talent that weren't just "big names" and that weren't going to be "problem child" players for them. I didn't say the moves stunk, just that they surprised me and seemed strange to me for the Pats.

I agree with what a few other posters have said about them seeing a window closing and trying to make moves now to try to take advantage of those players immediately. It may pay off and it may not, but Haynesworth will be interesting to watch throughout the season either way.

I also agree with those who say the Jets are the team to be worried about in the AFC east. Hopefully Sanchez will keep them from going further than they expect to.

I say strange moves because it is out of character with what BB has done so successfully for so long in the draft and free agency signings, and that is finding those young guys with raw talent that weren't just "big names" and that weren't going to be "problem child" players for them. I didn't say the moves stunk, just that they surprised me and seemed strange to me for the Pats.

I agree with what a few other posters have said about them seeing a window closing and trying to make moves now to try to take advantage of those players immediately. It may pay off and it may not, but Haynesworth will be interesting to watch throughout the season either way.

I also agree with those who say the Jets are the team to be worried about in the AFC east. Hopefully Sanchez will keep them from going further than they expect to.

Their 1-year (which AH, CO, and SE essentially are) deals have busted more than they've worked. As for the Jets, they lost a lot of contributors from the past few seasons during the off-season, so I'd still give the division to the Pats until proven otherwise.