Moats

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't heard one sane reason why Moats is at ILB. The guy rushes QB's. He's one of the few we have that can actually do it. So let's put him in a situation to fail. He's not a cover guy, he's a DE at heart and wants to rush the passer and stop the run. What the eff are they they thinking. I'm solid behind Buddy and Chan but every year they seem to want to do one assinine thing that befuddles Bills Nation, like, say sign Kelsay to a big contract. This year, take the most productive pass rusher we have and bury him in a position he will fail at. WTF?

The only thing I can figure is this:

Coleman has been taking reps with the ones in practice, and Batten has been getting good reviews this year at camp after a good camp last year before his injury. Perhaps they feel both are better than Moats at OLB? Both were on IR when Moats got his shot outside, therefore getting the playing time due to their injuries. With everyone healthy they all move back to their original positions from last year.

Moving Moats inside gives Moats a better opportunity to make an impact, I'm guessing Torbor gets cut at some point, and Moats & Sheppard are the 2nd string ILBs and perhaps eventual replacements behind two aging veteran ILBs.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

Guys, this crap happens every year. Kelsay playing OLB in 2010 (and 2011), Jabari Greer, Fred Jackson, Jim Leonard, the list goes on and on. I think its our scouts fault (they scout our team during camp/season and give their reports to the coach staff) We cannot scout in the draft and we cannot scout our own team. We draft corners to play safety, safeties to play LB, WRs to play Safety. We let our good players leave and resign our bad players to ridiculous contracts. We have hit on a few of those but honestly look at how weak our roster has been the last ten years - we cannot evaluate talent in any facet.

I think the scouts are chirping in everyones ear that they think he is an ILB and thats where he is. There is no sense behind it (just like the Maybin pick and many others)

maybe they are trying to put our best players on the feild together, or come up with some solid combinations for depth. moats has proven he can lay some wood but is a bit suspect at this time in coverage. maybe they want to see if he can take the confidence and experience he gained last year and translate that to a position where we do not have the talent or depth and shore it up a bit. either that or our coaching staff had a stroke and just completey screwed the pooch on this one. i'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and i am NOT gonna "cross the moats"! let's just trust that the best players will be on the feild.

Moats is being given an opportunity. He is actually doing the defensive play calling with the 2nd string defense(somebody has to do it). It's not like he is being relegated to the practice squad. What's the big deal? Merriman is playing very well and Batten and Coleman are doing well.

I haven't heard one sane reason why Moats is at ILB. The guy rushes QB's.

In another thread, they list Moats weight as being UP to 259 lbs. Maybe he has slowed down some, and cant get after the QB as quick as he used to... Maybe

Edited by Zona

In another thread, they list Moats weight as being UP to 259 lbs. Maybe he has slowed down some, and cant get after the QB as quick as he used to... Maybe

or maybe with some additional weight on his frame he is going to be someone that can get off blocks and blow up some ball carriers. we need explosive playmakers on our defense, we need guys that hit hard and tackle sure. by all reports, barnett will be playing the inside spot with the emphesis on cover duty. maybe moats is being groomed as a thumper.

or maybe with some additional weight on his frame he is going to be someone that can get off blocks and blow up some ball carriers. we need explosive playmakers on our defense, we need guys that hit hard and tackle sure. by all reports, barnett will be playing the inside spot with the emphesis on cover duty. maybe moats is being groomed as a thumper.

I agree with you.

In that other thread, i said the added weight is useful at the ILB position. It takes a bigger guy to play inside, imo.

The only thing I can figure is this:

Coleman has been taking reps with the ones in practice, and Batten has been getting good reviews this year at camp after a good camp last year before his injury. Perhaps they feel both are better than Moats at OLB? Both were on IR when Moats got his shot outside, therefore getting the playing time due to their injuries. With everyone healthy they all move back to their original positions from last year.

Moving Moats inside gives Moats a better opportunity to make an impact, I'm guessing Torbor gets cut at some point, and Moats & Sheppard are the 2nd string ILBs and perhaps eventual replacements behind two aging veteran ILBs.

if it works out this way and Coleman and Batten are doing well outside id rather keep them there then have to cut 1 or both to put Moats back on the outside. i think Moats is gonna be a great player wherever he is because he has the talent but even more he has the great work ethic to not stop working till hes the best. now if after a 3 or 4 games Coleman or Batten dont show the same strides Moats did last season you put Moats back outside and let him kick kelsay off the feild

I haven't heard one sane reason why Moats is at ILB. The guy rushes QB's. He's one of the few we have that can actually do it. So let's put him in a situation to fail. He's not a cover guy, he's a DE at heart and wants to rush the passer and stop the run. What the eff are they they thinking. I'm solid behind Buddy and Chan but every year they seem to want to do one assinine thing that befuddles Bills Nation, like, say sign Kelsay to a big contract. This year, take the most productive pass rusher we have and bury him in a position he will fail at. WTF?

I hadn't heard a sane explanation until Sal last night. Mentioned that this defense we run is a hybrid and they like guys that give them scheme diversity. Sal thought that moving Moats to ILB was a training camp move to give him reps there, so they can put him almost anywhere along the 4 LB spots (3 in the 4-3 alignment).

At least, that's what I hope they're doing.

And Andra Davis came in at 267. Holy crap that's big.

i am sure now that they are broadening skill sets and creating some more versatility for Moats. And others. We suffered quite a few injuries at the lb positions last year and it showed.

Davis is 267? holy crap that is Huge at the position! I gotta go back and look at some practice camp pictures to see where he put it on. What did he weigh in at the beginning of last season?

it's likely they think moats is one of their smartest players and can lead a defense from the ILB position. It is possible to rush the QB from there, especially if he has some coverage skills (which this team is lacking). Once maybin is gone, it will open up more room at OLB. But they have Coleman (who can DEFINNITELY rush the qb, look at college career) and Batten (can def rush the qb) on the outside right now. As much as they won't admit it, it's a numbers game. They want Moats on the field, but they obviously like kelsay more right now at OLB and think Coleman has more upside potential (bonus points if you get that refernece)

Maybe the Bills have a high reading scale with Dareus at 343 and Jasper at 394.

Yep sound like some tipped the scale too far! But is does not not sound like anyone will be pushing us upfield in the middle any more like last year

Not sure abouts Moats coverage ability. I think that is what the new guy is best at.

Moats may be learning to make calls and i bet he is learning how to read well enough to know what should be called and why.

The more i consider this, is it possible we are pretty strong at LB?

We cannot keep Maybin, poor kid. But we might have some skills here beyond our veterans.

Edited by 3rdand12

I hadn't heard a sane explanation until Sal last night. Mentioned that this defense we run is a hybrid and they like guys that give them scheme diversity. Sal thought that moving Moats to ILB was a training camp move to give him reps there, so they can put him almost anywhere along the 4 LB spots (3 in the 4-3 alignment)

Exactly! That was a good show wasn't it! :thumbsup:

Guys, this crap happens every year. Kelsay playing OLB in 2010 (and 2011), Jabari Greer, Fred Jackson, Jim Leonard, the list goes on and on. I think its our scouts fault (they scout our team during camp/season and give their reports to the coach staff) We cannot scout in the draft and we cannot scout our own team. We draft corners to play safety, safeties to play LB, WRs to play Safety. We let our good players leave and resign our bad players to ridiculous contracts. We have hit on a few of those but honestly look at how weak our roster has been the last ten years - we cannot evaluate talent in any facet.

I think the scouts are chirping in everyones ear that they think he is an ILB and thats where he is. There is no sense behind it (just like the Maybin pick and many others)

What happens with Greer, Jackson and Leonard? Did we move Jackson to Wr? Greer to safety! Leonard to lb? I don't get the correlation. It's the first week of camp. 2 of our ilb aren't playing (shepp and barnett) ATM. Kelsey is a starting OLB for this team. Whether we like it or not, he is. They obv don't like batten or Coleman at ilb, so they are giving moats another look. This doesn't mean he's going to be an ilb forever, but for the moment or until they realize he can't play it, if he can't play it. I don't like the move either and I hate Kelsey, but they know more than we do.

The sky is falling!!!