Kelsay

Thankfully for everyone, the Bills saw fit to redo his contract and lock him up for the next 4 years or so!

:thumbsup:

does anyone not see that very little of it is guaranteed money or am i the only rationale person who saw this signing as short term and basically an extension of his current deal with very little raise?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does anyone not see that very little of it is guaranteed money or am i the only rationale person who saw this signing as short term and basically an extension of his current deal with very little raise?

I felt the same way, but debating that on these boards is a waste of time. Ultimately it's Kelsay's play that gets everyone riled up, and rightly so.

I felt the same way, but debating that on these boards is a waste of time. Ultimately it's Kelsay's play that gets everyone riled up, and rightly so.

But it's always made in comparison to his salary:

9/29/2010: Signed a five-year, $28.2 million contract. The deal contains $11 million in bonus money. 2011: $2 million, 2012: $3.5 million, 2013: $3.725 million, 2014: $3.745 million, 2015: Free Agent

He's only making $2M this year.

That's the problem right there. Inability to provide any type of pass rush, cover and change direction killed this team last year. Not to mention his complete lack of insticnt for the position.

So why does he deserve a raise at all? Why not bring in other underachievers to at least compete? Who is his competition?

Coleman- An undrafterd 2nd year player who showed nothing last year.

Batten- a 6th rounder out of a D2 school who was injured last year.

Merriman- I like taking the chance but 4 straight years without any type of production.

Maybin- Seriously?

Great! IMO, this is Buddy's biggest flop up until this point and there has been a few in his short tenure. There is no one on this team to provide a consistent pass rush from the outside and the Bills are in a division with one of the best QB's of all time.

No, it was a dumb move even because the perception it gives - that mediocrity will be rewarded.

Maybe you guys should watch the freakin football games for your self instead of listening to everybody around you guys. I watched both the Cincinnati and Pittsburgh games on youtube and Kelsay should have came away with 3-6 sacks easily in those two games alone. He came away with only 1 in each game and also in the Cinci game he had one taken away by penalty. Kelsay can't cover that well but he can pass rush and defend the run adequately enough. Go watch the film for your selves and come to your own conclusions. Both games are on youtube. I predict Kelsay gets about 6-8 sacks this year and you can book that but I bet money that I am the one coming away with the last laugh. Just watch the film and see for your selves.

Should have is your argument? I'm guessing you are not a lawyer

Clearly, if I went into detail you could start stacking up the Reggie Torbor's and Akin Ayodele's and all the other garbage that Nix dragged in to fill a roster, but here is a synopsis of a few important ones:

First of all, hiring Gailey. And not so much because of Gailey's coaching ability, he is an excellent offensive mind, but because as an older, retreaded coach who had been fired recently as an OC and a college head coach....... Gailey didn't stand a chance to put together a good staff. George Edwards was disgusting last year.

Being asleep at the wheel in free agency, in essence guaranteeing that his team would start a boat load of below-NFL-level talent, for instance just about all of their LB's.

Signing Cornell Green to be the teams starting RT and not even really trying to get any real competition despite everyone in the NFL knowing Green was worthless. I mean, why sign a Flozell Adams for instance, who is washed up but WAS a great player.....when you can overpay a doubly washed up never-was like Green.

Drafting CJ Spiller, a garden variety scat-back and kick returner with a learning disability with a premium first round pick and SOMEHOW getting nothing out of a first year running back. The easiest transition. The position with the shortest shelf life. CJ gave the Bills NOTHING.

Reaching for Troupe and Carrington in a bad year for DL and then getting nothing from them DESPITE having the worst run defense in the NFL. When you play a 3-4 and have a pro-bowl DT, you CAN have enough DL. But without quality at the other 2 positions, they were compelled to take Dareus this year.

Not addressing the OL until well into the third day in a GOOD draft for OL. 4 and 5 speak to a lack of preparation. I feel the same way about taking Williams early in round 2 this year. Not a great year for corners, yet they reached for a need when they have more pressing ones. Williams was not even a full time starter at Texas.

I'm not completely down on Buddy, but he has made some REAL head scratchers and not surprisingly they have failed miserably. Belichick has been on record as saying you have to be REALLY BAD at making decisions to be bad in the NFL. Translation: it's easy to be average. So far, Buddy has not had much

The best thing about Kelsay is that discussing him is never beating a dead horse because you CANNOT KILL CHRIS KELSAY. He is unbreakable. A subway janitor can beat the hell out of him, but he simply can't be prevented from lining back up to take another beat down.

OH, BTW, extending Kelsay was a dubious move. What say you about that, TODDD?

That's a very good post. I don't agree with all of it. Hard to disagree with some of it. But's it's loaded with thoughts for discussion. Well done.

I know this might not be a popular response, but if you read the game notes on buffalorumblings.com, Chris Kelsay actually played well throughout the season. He's not a sexy player, but he's actually pretty good. he provides a lot of leadership for our team and embodies the type of player that Chan and Buddy want on our team. That being said, expect danny batten to challenge Kelsay in this spoke. Batten is the prototypical size for the position, and I think the coaching staff likes him a lot.

One Love

I know this might not be a popular response, but if you read the game notes on buffalorumblings.com, Chris Kelsay actually played well throughout the season. He's not a sexy player, but he's actually pretty good. he provides a lot of leadership for our team and embodies the type of player that Chan and Buddy want on our team. That being said, expect danny batten to challenge Kelsay in this spoke. Batten is the prototypical size for the position, and I think the coaching staff likes him a lot.

One Love

Dude I watched every snap, don't need buffalorumblings, he was our worst defender and it wasn't close

Dude I watched every snap, don't need buffalorumblings, he was our worst defender and it wasn't close

I strongly disagree with you that Chris Kelsay was our worst defender. Marcus Stroud was our worst defender. I believe that Kelsay is better than Moats. Although moats had the occasional sack, he wasn't very good against run defense. Moats does not have the arm length to disengage from defenders to "stack" in run situations. That is why the coaching staff is moving him to the inside (Chan Gailey has explicitly said that). Chan Gailey and Buddy Nix have both clearly shown through their decision to move Moats to inside linebacker that they feel Kelsay is better. I think Buddy Nix knows a thing or two about talent. Maybe your one of those fans who thinks you know more than a guy who is renowned for evaluating talent, but I'm definitely not one of those. And again, Marcus Stroud was the worst defender. I would also argue that Poz was worse (may not be a popular opinion). His lack of ability to cover TE's absolutely KILLED us game after game. While Poz has good anticipation skills, he didn't have the size and strength to fight of interior defenders. Oh, and the Bills cut him which shows they didn't think he was THAT good.

Just my thoughts. But I'm definitely pro Kelsay.

He clearly was NOT our worst defender, as bad as he was at OLB in the 34 in the beginning. Over the second half of the year he actually got his pass rush going as a DE, and played his best ball since he, Denney and Schobel actually provided a decent punch. Granted he was still mediocre last year even at DE, but mediocre was FAR from the worst player on that tragedy of a defense.

Worst decision among many? In my opinion, there were two bad decisions by Nix. 1: Giving Kelsay money. 2: Not realizing Edwards sucked.

Nix gets the players. Gailey decides who to start.

I'd love to hear the "many" bad decisions by Nix you speak of. Many, to me, means at least 10. Have at it.

I dont know....gotta throw the Cornell Green aquisition in there....but I really dont think Buddy made too many mistakes

I strongly disagree with you that Chris Kelsay was our worst defender. Marcus Stroud was our worst defender. I believe that Kelsay is better than Moats. Although moats had the occasional sack, he wasn't very good against run defense. Moats does not have the arm length to disengage from defenders to "stack" in run situations. That is why the coaching staff is moving him to the inside (Chan Gailey has explicitly said that). Chan Gailey and Buddy Nix have both clearly shown through their decision to move Moats to inside linebacker that they feel Kelsay is better. I think Buddy Nix knows a thing or two about talent. Maybe your one of those fans who thinks you know more than a guy who is renowned for evaluating talent, but I'm definitely not one of those. And again, Marcus Stroud was the worst defender. I would also argue that Poz was worse (may not be a popular opinion). His lack of ability to cover TE's absolutely KILLED us game after game. While Poz has good anticipation skills, he didn't have the size and strength to fight of interior defenders. Oh, and the Bills cut him which shows they didn't think he was THAT good.

Poz worse than kelsay, wow

But it's always made in comparison to his salary:

He's only making $2M this year.

Who cares what his base salary is, he was given an $11M bonus last fall when he was a 31 year old and a problem on the worst run defense in the league. The question wasn't did he warrant an early extension of his contract.

Please show me some video footage of kelsay making plays, he had one good game which was as a 4-3 end, but really the dude has been a starter for years and never done anything

Here watch these videos and zip it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWbhJigZVEc Bills vs Bengals 2010

Please show me some video footage of kelsay making plays, he had one good game which was as a 4-3 end, but really the dude has been a starter for years and never done anything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9xcAxY7hg4 Bills vs Steelers 2010

He played 7 years as a DE in a 4-3. He never had any more than 5.5 sacks, yet there is someone in this thread that is envisioning Kelsay getting 6-8 sacks this year.