How are the Bills

Thought they were about 35 million under a 107 million (or there about) cap. We all thought they would be forced to spend a good amount in FA but eh....guess not. Any answers?

-As much as I like Nix it's hard to justify his obsession with signing 2nd and 3rd teir bargain bin free agents. This is due to the fact the Bills are in the NFL. What are they trying to prove by doing this? There are only 32 NFL teams in the world, this is not unicef. You should always try to get the best available.

they dont have to spend the amount right now they have all season. so they could extend kyle williams/stevie and it will effect this cap at like week 10 or so. or god forbid give chris kelsay more $$$.

they dont have to spend the amount right now they have all season. so they could extend kyle williams/stevie and it will effect this cap at like week 10 or so. or god forbid give chris kelsay more $$$.

Ahh that makes more sense that they have all season.

Thought they were about 35 million under a 107 million (or there about) cap. We all thought they would be forced to spend a good amount in FA but eh....guess not. Any answers?

-As much as I like Nix it's hard to justify his obsession with signing 2nd and 3rd teir bargain bin free agents. This is due to the fact the Bills are in the NFL. What are they trying to prove by doing this? There are only 32 NFL teams in the world, this is not unicef. You should always try to get the best available.

They have some time to figure out who to give it to. If FitzGibbons has a good/very good year He'll be #1 on the list and take a big chunk of it!

Another poster mentioned this, and I asked about it. Apparently, the 89 % cap floor in not required to be met

until the 2013 season.

Gives Ralph two more years of lining the pockets!

:rolleyes:

See this thread (in particular post #14):

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/132196-reminder-from-the-professor/page__pid__2198981#entry2198981

Another poster mentioned this, and I asked about it. Apparently, the 89 % cap floor in not required to be met

until the 2013 season.

Gives Ralph two more years of lining the pockets!

:rolleyes:

I think you and I were talking about that over the weekend and I linked this John Clayton tweet:

http://twitter.com/#!/ClaytonESPN/status/97018988852285441

HOWEVER, I may have been mistaken. I did some further diggin and I think the CBA has it as 99% the first two years, and then it drops to 89%. I believe Clayton was referencing the drop. I dunno. Now Im more confused and cant find anything clear online... :unsure:

Edited by DrDareustein

I think you and I were talking about that over the weekend and I linked this John Clayton tweet:

http://twitter.com/#!/ClaytonESPN/status/97018988852285441

HOWEVER, I may have been mistaken. I did some further diggin and I think the CBA has it as 99% the first two years, and then it drops to 89%. I believe Clayton was referencing the drop. I dunno. Now Im more confused and cant find anything clear online... :unsure:

Correct.

Oh oh. Well, someone needs to figure this out. But I will let my Ralph dig stand just in case!

:D

All kidding aside....If the Bills front office stopped using all of their energy trying to figure out how not to have to spend money in the opposite way, such as the jets and colts, and use their time on how to figure out how to get away with spending the most amount.....our team might be better.

Edited by Brian Billick

Cap is $120 million. 99% to be spent.

I would be interested to know how the NFL is to enforce this new cap limit: Teams would need to be fined $ for each Mil. under the

cap floor, in some type of sliding scale:

$ 1,000,000.00 - $ 2,500,000.00 under cap fined 10 % of total amount?

Just guessing here, but strange how we aren't hearing more about this?

Bills will easily meet the cap floor by re-signing their own with front-loaded contracts. I expect Steve Johnson to get a big one soon, similar to the one Miles Austin got last year.

They'll probably lock up Ryan Fitzpatrick too. And Andy Levitre is a FA in 2013 so they may lock him up sooner rather then later too. He's been our most consistent lineman.

This is the simplistic thinking. You have to take stock of where the Bills are...and it's not a competitor. Why would you sign a high priced free agent who is on their 2nd or 3rd contract now? So you can maybe squeak out to 8-8? Value is what keeps the top teams at the top. The Bills have had very poor value players.

Also, keep in mind the 'Best Available' at a position doesn't always mean 'great' at that position.

It amazes me that people who continually express that they believe the Bills are a bottom feeder and quite possibly think they Bills are the worst team in the league also somehow feel they are only a 'player or two away' at the same time. The Bills need a complete overhaul. As much as it may make you tingle in your naughty places when you look at Asomugha...does he win the Bills any more games? I doubt it.

The Bills need to establish a system and stability to bring the overall base level of team talent to a higher level. If we go in Madden terms, having a whole team at 85 is better than having a team of 70s with a couple 99s.

That is not relevant for this season.

Edited by jeremy2020

Then can extend Stevie Johnson's contract mid season if he proves that he's going to have another boarder line pro bowl year or better. And they could extend Kyle Williams' contract whenever, he's proven his worth.

Edited by bills1960

The 99% requirement applies to combined league-wide cash spending on player compensation during the 2011 league year - - there is absolutely NO floor amount of cash that any individual team must spend in 2011.

Here's an article (with relevant excerpt) that Numark recently posted, but it was apparently little noticed during the flurry of free agency postings because the thread got closed:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/30/per-team-spending-minimum-doesnt-apply-until-2013/

Yes, for 2011 and 2012 no minimum cash spending requirement applies on a per-team basis. We were first alerted to this reality on Thursday morning, during a weekly segment with Steve Davis and Ed Norris of 105.7 the Fan in Baltimore. Davis said that Ravens president Dick Cass had explained the situation in a recent on-air interview, and Davis forwarded the audio to us later in the day.

The summary of the final deal that we obtained on Monday confirms that, indeed, the “minimum team cash spend” applies on a four-year basis from 2013 through 2016, and from 2017 through 2020. No minimum per-team expenditure applies for 2011 and 2012.

Still, on a league-wide basis, the labor deal requires the NFL to spend 99 percent of the salary cap in cash in 2011 and 2012.

So what happens if too many teams spend so little that the league isn’t able to average 99 percent of the cap in actual cash spent? NFL general counsel Jeff Pash, via NFL spokesman Greg Aiello, explained Friday night that the league would be required to pay the difference to the players.

That said, the league doesn’t believe that it will be a problem, even if teams like the Bucs and Bengals and Chiefs decide to spend as little as possible over the next two years. Based on the money spent to date, the league thinks that the average expenditure of $119 million per team easily will be met.

Remember, it’s not cap space but cash spent. So when a team like the Panthers gives defensive end Charles Johnson a $30 million signing bonus on a six-year deal, only $5 million counts against the cap — but $30 million counts against the league’s total spending requirement of $3.8 billion.

The more relevant point, for the next two years, is that teams like the Bucs, Bengals, and Chiefs can choose to stay as far below the salary cap as they want.

The above analysis of audiotaped comments by the Ravens president is consistent with the previously posted text of a powerpoint presentation given by the NFLPA to player agents. Here's a link and the relevant excerpt:

http://bizoffootball.com/index.php?view=article&catid=54%3Anfl-labor-news&id=857%3Atext-of-brief-of-new-nfl-cba-to-player-agents&format=pdf&option=com_content&Itemid=79

Minimum Cash Spend Requirements

•Guaranteed League-Wide Cash Spend of 99% of the Salary Cap in 2011-12

•Guaranteed League-Wide Cash Spend of 95% of salary cap in 2013-16 and 2017-20 four year

periods

•Minimum Team Cash Spend - 89% of salary cap in 2013-16 and 2017-20 on a four-year

average

2011 Cap - Transition

•Salary Cap set at $120.375M with $22.025M in benefits for 2011

•$3M in additional cap room per Club in 2011(at club option) by taking up to $1M off the cap

charge for up to three players per Club with 5 or more Accrued Seasons (same rule for 2012,

but for a total of $1.5M in extra room created from three players with a $500k in salary)

All kidding aside....If the Bills front office stopped using all of their energy trying to figure out how not to have to spend money in the opposite way, such as the jets and colts, and use their time on how to figure out how to get away with spending the most amount.....our team might be better.

In the beginning of F.A. I was a little mad that we seemed incapable of signing the guys we wanted, but in retrospect, I like that we're giving manageable contracts to guys instead of being way too over-invested in just a few players. Especially when considering our young guys - it's nice to think that we'll be able to keep the young guys we like, that we won't be in a situation in a year or two where we're right on the verge of where we want to be and then we've got to get rid of a few guys that might be key.

Still, the way we've been signing people - to modest contracts, I think we can still go out and get a Zack Miller - which really puzzles me that we haven't heard anything about that guy yet - or maybe luck into a LT/RT that gets cut somewhere down the line.

Not each team, the league as a whole, in cash not cap hits. There is no floor on the cap, just the cash.

The summary of the final deal that we obtained on Monday confirms that, indeed, the “minimum team cash spend” applies on a four-year basis from 2013 through 2016, and from 2017 through 2020. No minimum per-team expenditure applies for 2011 and 2012.

Still, on a league-wide basis, the labor deal requires the NFL to spend 99 percent of the salary cap in cash in 2011 and 2012.

Remember, it’s not cap space but cash spent. So when a team like the Panthers gives defensive end Charles Johnson a $30 million signing bonus on a six-year deal, only $5 million counts against the cap — but $30 million counts against the league’s total spending requirement of $3.8 billion.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/30/per-team-spending-minimum-doesnt-apply-until-2013/

I would be interested to know how the NFL is to enforce this new cap limit: Teams would need to be fined $ for each Mil. under the

cap floor, in some type of sliding scale:

$ 1,000,000.00 - $ 2,500,000.00 under cap fined 10 % of total amount?

Just guessing here, but strange how we aren't hearing more about this?

For the 99% cash basis they'll just give the players union the difference in money. The penalty for going over the cap is draft picks, I would assume it may be the same for being under the floor.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson