Brandon Marshall reveals that he has Borderline Personality Disorder

bbb

you are correct that they were character traits, but back in the day the technology wasn't there to attempt to treat and 'cure' some of the issues. I am as sick as anyone about the constant flood of new 'diseases' and maladies and the mounting population that are on prescription medication. However, if these meds help Johnny or Janey slow down their brain a bit to allow them to focus and learn to read, or if it quells urges to possibly say or do something deemed inappropriate, then I say go for it...sure its homogonizing everyone, but it's also allowing alot of people to come out of some sort of inner trauma they may be feeling....

Back in the day, things used to be known as "character traits".

That was, until the medical industry realized how to turn traits into symptoms.

Please read on. I understand that in my hasty reply, I did not make it clear what I was questioning. I have no beef with the disorder, those that have it, and barely one with Marshall as I am in no position to judge. I do have a beef with the medical industry, and a list of very general, common "symptoms".

Thanks.

I work with people who mental health issues and some of the problems are very real. However, I understand 100% where you are coming from. Too many people use a diagnosis as a crutch to why they can't control their lives and behavior. Marshall seems like the type who created a lot of his problems because he was an entitled a hole. But if he is getting help and changes his lifestyle, more power to him.

Plus having Chad Henne and Matt Moore trying to get you the ball won't be doing his disorder any favors either.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Wilson-Williams-death-a-reason-Brandon-Marshall-wants-out-of-Denver.html

Not surprisingly, a psychiatric diagnosis after a traumatic experience in life. I must admit, psychiatry can be a lot of hand-waving sometimes, but when there's a history of traumatic events (e.g., losing a teammate soon after you saw him alive), you can't ignore a possible detrimental effect on a person's psyche.

That's definitely unfortuante for Marshall, it's an extremely difficult diagnosis to live with. I'm not sure what the locker rooms were like on the teams he was on, but people with BPD tend to "split" -- people are either good/great/fantastic to them or bad/terrible, there's no middle ground. The BPD might explain his modestly acrimonious departure from Denver. I hope the best for him.

And, it could be the same person - minutes apart!

you are correct that they were character traits, but back in the day the technology wasn't there to attempt to treat and 'cure' some of the issues. I am as sick as anyone about the constant flood of new 'diseases' and maladies and the mounting population that are on prescription medication. However, if these meds help Johnny or Janey slow down their brain a bit to allow them to focus and learn to read, or if it quells urges to possibly say or do something deemed inappropriate, then I say go for it...sure its homogonizing everyone, but it's also allowing alot of people to come out of some sort of inner trauma they may be feeling....

And basically what it comes down to is medicating these traits when they are amplified start to affect one's quality of life. I don't know if he was just using it as an alibi, but it sounded like Marshall was deeply affected by Darrent Williams' death, and that turned a diva (like many football stars tend to be) into a BPD patient.

And basically what it comes down to is medicating these traits when they are amplified start to affect one's quality of life. I don't know if he was just using it as an alibi, but it sounded like Marshall was deeply affected by Darrent Williams' death, and that turned a diva (like many football stars tend to be) into a BPD patient.

I read an article about Darrent Williams and Marshall caused a bunch of the problems that led to Williams getting shot in the first place.

I didn't really know that guys had this condition. I've known some chicks with it, and it's best to stay away (although for some reason they are usually hot). They're the cutters, the ones always in chaos, etc.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6821345/brandon-marshall-miami-dolphins-reveals-personality-disorder

Sounds like a WR problem.

Back in the day, things used to be known as "character traits".

That was, until the medical industry realized how to turn traits into symptoms.

....and develop drugs to 'cure' such symptoms, and to bribe, er, contribute to campaigns of elected officials who in turn put those drugs on the big Medicare tab. And everyone gets rich and the wheel keeps on turnin'!

This is just humor mind you but my FB status from yesterday

paranoid schizophrenia: the voices that you hear are telling you that they are out to get you.

Monday at 7:11pm · Like ·

obsessive compulsive: repeatedly making the same mistake twice

Monday at 4:03pm · Like ·

Borderline Personality Disorder: not believing in national boundaries when you are blue.

Monday at 3:58pm · Like

A lot of ppl liked them·

Edited by bowery4

I was married to a woman with BDP. She was like Jekyll and Hyde. When not in the throes of the disease, she was warm, intelligent, wise, generous, sociable, attractive, etc. When some trivial thing triggered her insecurity, she'd fly off into an irrational, uncontrollable rage that could last for hours. She'd attack me with whatever was at hand, including (twice) kitchen knives. I used to wear long-sleeve shirts every day to hide the bruises, bite marks and lacerations. I divorced her for all our safety, especially my daughter's. BDP, in its most severe forms, is no joke. A terrible thing.

As far as it being treatable, that's somewhat debatable. The best her psychologist had to offer was some combination of therapy and drugs (with the cooperation of a MD). The program had a 40% success rate after 5 years. In other words, 40% of patients reported improvement (not necessarily normalcy; certainly not cure) after 5 long years. I doubt I would have survived five years, but that was the best treatment available at the time.

The big problem is that most people with BDP don't stick to their treatment. They often feel that others have the problem, not them. My wife used to say that I needed to learn to avoid her "trigger" points. I had to change, not her. I should respect her "sensitivity." She had no real interest in treatment. I hope Marshall does, and sticks to it.

I was married to a woman with BDP. She was like Jekyll and Hyde. When not in the throes of the disease, she was warm, intelligent, wise, generous, sociable, attractive, etc. When some trivial thing triggered her insecurity, she'd fly off into an irrational, uncontrollable rage that could last for hours. She'd attack me with whatever was at hand, including (twice) kitchen knives. I used to wear long-sleeve shirts every day to hide the bruises, bite marks and lacerations. I divorced her for all our safety, especially my daughter's. BDP, in its most severe forms, is no joke. A terrible thing.

As far as it being treatable, that's somewhat debatable. The best her psychologist had to offer was some combination of therapy and drugs (with the cooperation of a MD). The program had a 40% success rate after 5 years. In other words, 40% of patients reported improvement (not necessarily normalcy; certainly not cure) after 5 long years. I doubt I would have survived five years, but that was the best treatment available at the time.

The big problem is that most people with BDP don't stick to their treatment. They often feel that others have the problem, not them. My wife used to say that I needed to learn to avoid her "trigger" points. I had to change, not her. I should respect her "sensitivity." She had no real interest in treatment. I hope Marshall does, and sticks to it.

Did you know she had it and what it was before you got married?