Chan on Sirius Radio with Tim and Pat

Tuned in a few minutes late, but my notes:

- CG on Installing Plays in this short time: Because of lock out installation schedule in preseason is going to be a little different. We'll be covering unique situation and special plays up until the first reg season game.

- CG on Tyler Thigpen / Brad Smith: Can talk about them till Saturday! I had Tyler, he did a good job for us (in KC), good upside. The deal is good because we have Fitz - he was good last year and I think he's going to take another step this year.

- CG on Drayton signing: Can't talk about guys that haven't signed on the dotted line! We've got three good corners that can play the game...

- CG on only having 14 padded practices: Staff sat down and worked out scenarios - do you go two a week at first, or once a week? You have to get a feel for your team, where they are and what they need. If we need to work on blocks the first couple weeks, we might need to go two a week at first. Need to have 11 padded practices in the first 11 weeks, however you want to do it (one a week, two a week, etc).

- CG Merriman: He's about to explode. He was there first day, in the meetings, chomping at the bit. If his health can stay there, he'll have a big year for us.

- CG Maybin: The balls in his court, he's got to go do it, or he's not going to play. Some of it's conditioning (weight and strength) to play an entire game and season. Needs to work on techniques to be a consistent pass rusher, he's shown flashes...

- CG on CJ Spiller: Told him he needs to work on pass protection and holding on to the ball. Chan needs to design more plays for him.

- CG on the team and FA acquisitions: If you're a solid football team, you don't like to have guys dribbling in through FA. If you're an evolving team, you might need to take a chance on guys.

- CG on young weapons: Roscoe was having a great year, until he got hurt, he's in great shape, Chan is excited. Donald Jones and David Nelson had good years last year. Marcus Easley we all had high hopes for him before he got hurt. We have a lot of good players and not enough roster spots.

Kirwan and Tim Ryan then went on to call Chan a top 5 Offensive mind in the game and said that Buffalo is luck to have him!

Can we please get this season going!?!

Quick recap of Chan's conversation on Sirius.

1) Wishes Poz well, chance for someone to step up and fill in. May or may not be on the current roster.

2) Can't wait for Fitz to assume control from day 1. Total leader in the clubhouse and team has his back.

3) Couldn't talk about pending free agents sighed, Tyler and Brad Smith until 6 tomorrow laugh laugh.

4) Camp is going to be work in progress and very fluid, will do what needs to be done including fundementals.

5) Excited about the receiving corp. Plans packages for Roscoe, said he is ready to roll.

6) Merriman is busting at the seems to play ball. IF he remains healthy, he will be a force to recon with.

7) Spiller has to be more learned in past protection packages and holding on to the ball. Will work hard to get him

more involved and many more touches to do his thing.

8) Maybin has been told what he needs to do, if not, he will not get on the field.

That is about it.

Did he say he got her done wtih Clabo?

CG sez he can't discuss about posible FA's until 1800 hrs Friday July 29,2011.

Quick recap of Chan's conversation on Sirius.

1) Wishes Poz well, chance for someone to step up and fill in. May or may not be on the current roster.

2) Can't wait for Fitz to assume control from day 1. Total leader in the clubhouse and team has his back.

3) Couldn't talk about pending free agents sighed, Tyler and Brad Smith until 6 tomorrow laugh laugh.

4) Camp is going to be work in progress and very fluid, will do what needs to be done including fundementals.

5) Excited about the receiving corp. Plans packages for Roscoe, said he is ready to roll.

6) Merriman is busting at the seems to play ball. IF he remains healthy, he will be a force to recon with.

7) Spiller has to be more learned in past protection packages and holding on to the ball. Will work hard to get him

more involved and many more touches to do his thing.

8) Maybin has been told what he needs to do, if not, he will not get on the field.

That is about it.

Good re-cap. I was listening also...

Tuned in a few minutes late, but my notes:

- CG on Installing Plays in this short time: Because of lock out installation schedule in preseason is going to be a little different. We'll be covering unique situation and special plays up until the first reg season game.

- CG on Tyler Thigpen / Brad Smith: Can talk about them till Saturday! I had Tyler, he did a good job for us (in KC), good upside. The deal is good because we have Fitz - he was good last year and I think he's going to take another step this year.

- CG on Drayton signing: Can't talk about guys that haven't signed on the dotted line! We've got three good corners that can play the game...

- CG on only having 14 padded practices: Staff sat down and worked out scenarios - do you go two a week at first, or once a week? You have to get a feel for your team, where they are and what they need. If we need to work on blocks the first couple weeks, we might need to go two a week at first. Need to have 11 padded practices in the first 11 weeks, however you want to do it (one a week, two a week, etc).

- CG Merriman: He's about to explode. He was there first day, in the meetings, chomping at the bit. If his health can stay there, he'll have a big year for us.

- CG Maybin: The balls in his court, he's got to go do it, or he's not going to play. Some of it's conditioning (weight and strength) to play an entire game and season. Needs to work on techniques to be a consistent pass rusher, he's shown flashes...

- CG on CJ Spiller: Told him he needs to work on pass protection and holding on to the ball. Chan needs to design more plays for him.

- CG on the team and FA acquisitions: If you're a solid football team, you don't like to have guys dribbling in through FA. If you're an evolving team, you might need to take a chance on guys.

- CG on young weapons: Roscoe was having a great year, until he got hurt, he's in great shape, Chan is excited. Donald Jones and David Nelson had good years last year. Marcus Easley we all had high hopes for him before he got hurt. We have a lot of good players and not enough roster spots.

Kirwan and Tim Ryan then went on to call Chan a top 5 Offensive mind in the game and said that Buffalo is luck to have him!

Can we please get this season going!?!

I am on board with Chan, but this statement, is ridiculous...sounds like somebody who has just accepted his fate...

Great job guys! I am glad others can help share what Sirius NFL Network has to offer and I hope others think about getting it. It is great to have because no matter where you are there is a way to catch a game - on the lawn mower, in the car, at the lake, on the tractor, on a walk or just around the house!

Sirius: How are you doing

Chan: I'm doing great

Sirius: I know you're excited about this football team and this draft, you really have to start with Paul Poz, it seemed like he was torn in the last minute of what he was going to do, he had plenty of great things to say.

Chan: Well, um you know, Paul is a great person, any time you lose a player, doesn't matter who it is or where it is, you...uhhhhh....it gives an opportunity for someone to play big, that's what you're always looking for, someone to step up, and uhhhhh....play big. Well, uhhhhhh, we gotta find some people to do that.

Sirius: Chan are those guys on your roster to do that to replace Paul, he said there were still some questions marks in his mind he said, I asked him who he envisioned replacing him and well there is still some decision making on what to do up there but he was not sure if that guy was on the roster.

Chan: Well, you know, it uhhhh is uh you you try to adjust people where they need to be and help your football team best is possible. We were fortunate with Andra Davis and Reggie Torbor who play inside and have experience, can do it inside and have proven that they can do it inside. Ummm. Unfortunately both of them got hurt last year so we just gotta get over it and take care of them and thats the season. But, uh, I think, uh, they're good enough to play and you got a couple young guys we drafted and we got another young guy, moats, who played inside and outside, and finished up the outside but we think he has the chance to play inside. You put the pieces together, that's what we do.

Sirius: Well, we both like Kelvin Sheppard a lot at the senior bowl, you know it's a college football game but um big stout guy you can see him over the guard, you have some very good guys there, I think Kelvin is going to be a guy that you know will move pretty quickly when you put some pads on.

Chan: Yeah, I think so, too. And Chris White the other guy, and we had him at the senior bowl too, he's an active player, so we gonna give these guys a chance, and if you don't give them a chance they won't make it, it gives someone an opportunity.

Sirius: Well, how do you feel finally able to get your hands on the rookies, back in the building and we haven't talked enough about many of the coaches and they were stuck in the middle. Talk about having your team back.

Chan: Yeah, we went through about four months, I do not want to use the word frustrated, but antsy, whatever word you wanna use, thats kind of the word because it was difference, it was we had never experienced and it was an uncomfortable situation for all of us. They're here it's exciting but at the same time it is a whirlwind. Your' trying to do 5000 things and gget it organized and get your team ready to play and when our stafff sat down and said look guys, we're coming to the realization that we're not getting our team ready to be you know fairly polished in the 3rd preseason game like you normall do, you're saying Sept 11 is when you're trying to get your team ready.

Sirius: Let me ask you a question off that, does that mean you're going to in your mind have more veteran play in the 4th preseason game because they need the go?

Chan: No I do not think that at all, I think you're going to see that same amount of playing time for most teams, and play the preseason schedule, you're not going to have everything in on that first season game, you're not going to have coverall the little things like you normally cover things and then by the end you've got your pbasic stuff, you know a lot of your little quirks are in, you know you may not have shown them but you've practiced them and done them, and covered all the special situations, we're going to cover all the special situations and unique things offensively and defensively all the way up to the uhhh first game I believe.

Sirius: I am going to mention something unique, Brad Smith, and Tyler Thigpen. That's another unique athlete, knowing the way you think what will you do with those two guys?

Chan: Well, I cannot talk about those guys until 6 o'clock tomorrow night because those guys...

Sirius: garblegarble

Chan: Well, you know I have a background with Tyler and you know I coached him one year and he was the third guy and two guys got hurt and um and um and uhh, i hope he does a good job for us and I think there is uhm ahhh a good upside for Tyler Thigpen.

Sirius: Here is what I want to hear you talk about, and we have 23 new coordinators in the NFL, can you imagine, talking about the installation with a QB who didn't know your situation and didn't know your stuff, but Ryan Fitzpatrick is your guy

Chan: Well for a lot of reasons because he did it last year and two because we got Ryan Fitz. I think he was uhhh good last year I am exicted what he brings to our team...uhh leadership, everything.

Sirius: Talk about Drayton Florence, that was a big resigning for you...

Chan: I can't talk about that until tomorrow... I know one thing having 3 corners that you can depend on is a big thing in the NFL today. And uhm that's what we're trying to do, make sure we got three who can play the game. We're fortunate to have that.

Sirius: Coach, I ask you, and it's an interesting time and you find out w're going to go tobe headed in to practices, but they haven't done much more then that...blabla...prepping, wearing pads getting prepped for sounds like it is Wednesday or Thursday suited up, your coaching thoughts on that, how do you do it?

Chan: thats a good question, our coaching staff sat down, we panned out quite a few scnearios, we penned out two a week for the first week and set in concrete and you know or do you do it once a week and get somehing standard...

paraphrasing now:

Get a feel for your team, see what they need, if the'yre not ready now with fundementals, and blocking, we may have to go twice.

You can 11 days as a 2 a day.

Thats why Baskin Robbins stays in businsess, everyone has a different one.

Alright, the other guys did good, I have stuff to do and this was a super long interview.

I am on board with Chan, but this statement, is ridiculous...sounds like somebody who has just accepted his fate...

It was a much longer conversation and Pat Kirwan just gave him props for the statement (like, literally, right now).

Why to you think it's ridiculous? Makes sense to me - if you're a sold team, you want to have your roster as set as possible before training camp. If you're a young, building team like the Bills you're going to need to shuffle some guys in to get as good as possible before the season starts...

Great job guys! I am glad others can help share what Sirius NFL Network has to offer and I hope others think about getting it. It is great to have because no matter where you are there is a way to catch a game - on the lawn mower, in the car, at the lake, on the tractor, on a walk or just around the house!

Sirius: How are you doing

Chan: I'm doing great

Blah blah blah..

You can 11 days as a 2 a day.

Thats why Baskin Robbins stays in businsess, everyone has a different one.

Alright, the other guys did good, I have stuff to do and this was a super long interview.

Well done Jboyst! Are you a court steno?

Well done Jboyst! Are you a court steno?

nah, I am just really good at really strange things and pretty much everything else, too.

Court steno's cheat, they use short hand typing, I use the full keyboard.