Whitner to sign elsewhere

The Buffalo News confirms that free agent SS Donte Whitner "appears certain to sign elsewhere" after five seasons as a Bill.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article498961.ece

and Rotoworld.com:

Whitner is one of the top run-support strong safeties in football, but the Bills are going cheaper at the position with Jairus Byrd and George Wilson. Whitner just turned 26 years old on Sunday, so he should have plenty of solid seasons left in the tank. The Browns have been floated as a possible suitor.

Edited by Frostbelt City

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Buffalo News confirms that free agent SS Donte Whitner "appears certain to sign elsewhere" after five seasons as a Bill.

and Rotoworld.com:

Whitner is one of the top run-support strong safeties in football, but the Bills are going cheaper at the position with Jairus Byrd and George Wilson. Whitner just turned 26 years old on Sunday, so he should have plenty of solid seasons left in the tank. The Browns have been floated as a possible suitor.

Yea he is pretty good at tackling the runner 5-10 yds past the line of scrimmage.

and Rotoworld.com:

And all of the opposing TE's on Buffalo's 2011 schedule release a collective sigh of disappointment. Seriously though, I wouldn't be surprised to see Searcy get some substantial snaps before the season is over, especially in the event of an injury (god forbid).

Hasn't the Whitner saga been played out enough on this board?

Regardless, the Buffalo Snooze didn't "confirm" anything -- it's Mark Gaughan's opinion. And if Whitner gets the money he wants elsewhere good for him.

Behind an improved front seven I believe Whitner would be an asset; he's just not a game-changer on an otherwise mediocre defense.

Hasn't the Whitner saga been played out enough on this board?

Regardless, the Buffalo Snooze didn't "confirm" anything -- it's Mark Gaughan's opinion. And if Whitner gets the money he wants elsewhere good for him.

Behind an improved front seven I believe Whitner would be an asset; he's just not a game-changer on an otherwise mediocre defense.

I think Buddy made it abundantly clear that Donte Whitner would not be a Buffalo Bill next season.

"Drayton Florence, absolutely not," Nix said when asked if the two were done in Buffalo. "We think Drayton wants to be here, and we want him here. We're going to try to sign Drayton Florence. Donte Whitner, I don't think wants to be here, and he probably won't."

My link

I agree, however, that the "Whitner saga" has been played out long enough on this message board. Let the guy walk and play mediocre football for some other team.

Nix did say resigning Florence was a priority, but he never said resigning Poz wasn't.

Of course, back when these comments were made, no one knew for sure whether Poz would be restricted or not.

and Rotoworld.com:

Well, we can now start talking about football again. Whitner seems like he does not want to be here anymore, so like some posters have said, if he gets the money he is looking for, good for him. He is a solid safety at stopping the run.

We can't afford to let Poz go. Whitner walks, we have george wilson and bryan scott. Florence leaving would hurt, but alteast we still have mckelvin, williams and mcgee. But if we let Poz go, we'll have an old, mediocre andra davis and an unproven Kelvin Sheppard.

Why the animosity towards Poz? We have tons of money to use up, so why are we freaking out about overpaying for him? He's one of our few consistent players and more importantly he plays at a position we're not particularly deep at. We need him back, end of question.