who raised taxes to reduce deficits ummm Regan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

youtube.com/watch?v=PrQEVkOiAm4

"obstinate, mindless rejection on the part of the republicans"....well said, although i found it kinda funny he called it a snow job while calling from aspen. these ex govt guys always land on their feet don't they?

That's also one of the reasons they raised the payroll tax, as it was a backdoor way of alleviating their deficit fears. Those were the days when Republicans cared about deficits. Oh, wait, they care again now...

Actually right now we do have a major revenue problem, but once the economy does get back on solid ground, which could take a while, then yes, spending is the predominant problem.

Yes it's like I gave my American Express card to my 16 year old and he ran it up to $150,000 on cell phones, tech goodies and fast food. Now I have a revenue problem cause I only make 65k a year. So I guess my solution is to start breaking into neighbors houses, sell drugs or steal cars to make up the difference.

Edited by Dante

Yes it's like I gave my American Express card to my 16 year old and he ran it up to $150,000 on cell phones, tech goodies and fast food. Now I have a revenue problem cause I only make 65k a year. So I guess my solution is to start breaking into neighbors houses, sell drugs or steal cars to make up the difference.

obstinate and mindless ...

obstinate and mindless ...

Federal and state tax combined I'm at about 35%. Tack on user tax and all the hidden taxes businesses pay and get passed on to us .I'm curious what percentage would be up to. Lets be conservative and say its another 10%. Were up to 45% of money that I work for being confiscated by various levels of government. And Obamacare hasn't even kicked in yet. How much is enough? When do the feds start making sacrifices? Private sector taking a beating but they don't miss a beat.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2009-12-10-federal-pay-salaries_N.htm

How about cutting some redundant offices. How about slashing acorn or any other bs deals. Collectively we pay enough. The problem is on the government end. Mindless? I'm starting to think that I'm one of the few left around here that has one. I work for my money they don't. There has to be a fundamental change in thinking among the citizens to get rid of all these guys in both parties. Problem is there are to many either employed or getting hand outs from the government.

Edited by Dante

Federal and state tax combined I'm at about 35%. Tack on user tax and all the hidden taxes businesses pay and get passed on to us .I'm curious what percentage would be up to. Lets be conservative and say its another 10%. Were up to 45% of money that I work for being confiscated by various levels of government. And Obamacare hasn't even kicked in yet. How much is enough? When do the feds start making sacrifices? Private sector taking a beating but they don't miss a beat.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2009-12-10-federal-pay-salaries_N.htm

How about cutting some redundant offices. How about slashing acorn or any other bs deals. Collectively we pay enough. The problem is on the government end. Mindless? I'm starting to think that I'm one of the few left around here that has one. I work for my money they don't. There has to be a fundamental change in thinking among the citizens to get rid of all these guys in both parties. Problem is there are to many either employed or getting hand outs from the government.

i agree. we need cuts, and radical ones at that. the current course is unsustainable. but we also need increased revenue. i don't doubt you pay more than your share but lets start with an end to corporate welfare. the couple hundred million they get from stopping the private plane write off is only symbolic but important and yet they can't agree to do even this. how are they ever gonna agree to cutting SSI, decreasing healthcare spending and removing pet projects?

but they need to limit the debt ceiling now. a guy from a nonpartisan think tank was on pbs newshour last night explaining the repercussions of not doing it. paradoxically one of the first things to happen is a further increase in the debt along with very damaging loss of confidence from debt holders over 1/2 of whom are foreign. this damage would take years to repair and cost many billions in higher needed interest rates to attract investors.

Jay Powell bipartisan policy center

Edited by birdog1960

Just because someone has a specific ideology, doesn't mean that the perfect conditions exist to enact that ideology.

That fact is, we should have raised taxes 10 years ago, to pay for the war and if we decided that the economy wouldn't be able to handle increased taxes, we shouldn't have gone to war.

Just because someone has a specific ideology, doesn't mean that the perfect conditions exist to enact that ideology.

That fact is, we should have raised taxes 10 years ago, to pay for the war and if we decided that the economy wouldn't be able to handle increased taxes, we shouldn't have gone to war.

or you could argue that we shouldn't have gone even if we could afford it