Riter Radio is a thing of the past (at least on WECK)

theesir

This is a sad day for local radio. The only talk alternative we had to WGR550 is gone. Brad was let go and it sounds from his twitter feed that Nick left on principle.

http://twitter.com/#!/nicholasmendola

This really sucks. This was really enjoyable radio. I could have done without Kasper's Korner, but whatever. :angry:

You and I have the same thoughts and tastes........I think it's a very sad day for local radio, and personally for me - I loved the show, and listened to the online version when I couldn't catch it during the day. I don't know what I'm going to do to replace it.

And, I used to email Brad that it's enough of Kasper's Korner! He even said a few weeks ago when they did it for a little bit that it did get out of hand when they'd do a whole hour of that nonsense every day for months!

I thought Riter was just promoted to program director or something similar?

Too bad... I used to love his show on WGR at 7pm.... Why can't they pay someone a few hundred bucks a week to do a 7-10pm slot? $100/hr is pretty good, and I'm sure people would jump at the chance.

I think any chance of Brad ever working that slot again are gone, so hopefully he lands on his feet.

I wonder what will happen to guys like Mendola and Riter. There's only so many places to work in sports talk radio in Buffalo, NY. They might have to switch gigs or leave town.

I don't know the situation but I'm guessing Riter Radio was not pulling the listeners. He had a high hill to climb. WECK was a total non-factor in Buffalo radio for years. Almost impossible to build a listener base with no signal and no promotion budget, on an AM station no less. It was a noble experiment but in the end it's $$$ that matters.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I don't know the situation but I'm guessing Riter Radio was not pulling the listeners. He had a high hill to climb. WECK was a total non-factor in Buffalo radio for years. Almost impossible to build a listener base with no signal and no promotion budget, on an AM station no less. It was a noble experiment but in the end it's $$$ that matters.

PTR

Exactly my thoughts. Sad but true. According to Mendola's Twitter account, he maintains big things are coming in the future.

PTR

Makes sense.... there are only so many ears in the WNY market as well... people in Rochester and Syracuse can hear WGR's local programming on "sister stations" so WECK is non-existent in comparison

I really don't think there's room for another big-time talk station in this market... Maybe if a million more people lived here... But sure, there can be a bunch of small-time, little stations with very little auidence

Makes sense.... there are only so many ears in the WNY market as well... people in Rochester and Syracuse can hear WGR's local programming on "sister stations" so WECK is non-existent in comparison

I really don't think there's room for another big-time talk station in this market... Maybe if a million more people lived here... But sure, there can be a bunch of small-time, little stations with very little auidence

I still think WGR could be knocked off by a better station but you can't do it without a massive budget. I have fantasies of Terry Pegula deciding he wants a sports radio/TV network worthy of carrying his Sabres, and he spends a couple of mil to do it right.

PTR

PTR

Every time I go back home, my parents (both in their 80's) bemoan the fact that WECK is gone...the way they knew it...I mean, where else could you hear Tony Randall sing "For the Benefit Of Mr Kite" every now and again! :P

Oh well, I guess the only thing to do is implore GR to be better!

Edited by Buftex

Exactly my thoughts. Sad but true. According to Mendola's Twitter account, he maintains big things are coming in the future.

I think Nick's Big News was he and Brad being gone from WECK.

I heard from a birdy that WECK decided it would be cheaper to simply carry music and decided to change direction. Smart move, you know everyone looking for music is tuning to low-powered AM radio for their fix.

Maybe the goal is to bring back their original 75-99 age bracket demographic. You know, the big spenders.

I think Nick's Big News was he and Brad being gone from WECK.

I heard from a birdy that WECK decided it would be cheaper to simply carry music and decided to change direction. Smart move, you know everyone looking for music is tuning to low-powered AM radio for their fix.

Maybe the goal is to bring back their original 75-99 age bracket demographic. You know, the big spenders.

Well the last time WECK had any real listeners was when they played big band/crooner music. Maybe their going back to it. It was stupid to have changed from that in the first place. There is still a market for it in Buffalo because AM 740 from Toronto pulls decent ratings with that format.

If it was your investment circling the drain wouldn't you try it?

PTR

I still think WGR could be knocked off by a better station but you can't do it without a massive budget. I have fantasies of Terry Pegula deciding he wants a sports radio/TV network worthy of carrying his Sabres, and he spends a couple of mil to do it right.

PTR

If you have ever listened to local sports talk in other markets (Not Fox or ESPN-They are nationally syndicated and are not very good), but take Philly, Chicago , Boston's WEEI, and even XX Sports 1090 AM in San Diego - a mid market station, and it absolutely just blows away WGR. WGR sounds like a station you'd get in Nebraska or Delaware, or a college station. Now Im honestly only referring to Schopp and Bulldog. Those guys are bush league all the way-...maybe the am drive show is good on WGR-Never heard it, but the station has some strengths from when I've listened but has a ton of room for improvement-Put that on the Programming Director...However if the ratings are good, which I assume they are, they wont change a thing. It is sad because Buffalo deserves a better option, but with that many sports hungry fans, people are going to listen to WGR -good or bad...

If you have ever listened to local sports talk in other markets (Not Fox or ESPN-They are nationally syndicated and are not very good), but take Philly, Chicago , Boston's WEEI, and even XX Sports 1090 AM in San Diego - a mid market station, and it absolutely just blows away WGR. WGR sounds like a station you'd get in Nebraska or Delaware, or a college station. Now Im honestly only referring to Schopp and Bulldog. Those guys are bush league all the way-...maybe the am drive show is good on WGR-Never heard it, but the station has some strengths from when I've listened but has a ton of room for improvement-Put that on the Programming Director...However if the ratings are good, which I assume they are, they wont change a thing. It is sad because Buffalo deserves a better option, but with that many sports hungry fans, people are going to listen to WGR -good or bad...

The morning show on GR is absolutely unlistenable to me. Of course, YMMV since I actually like S&B most of the time...Just not when they have to take call after call about who the Sabres should trade for. That is horrible radio.

I have to try Shredd and Ragan I guess. I never listened to them, but hear they are good.........To me, Brad has been the best for many years, both at WECK and the night show on GR.

The morning show on GR is absolutely unlistenable to me. Of course, YMMV since I actually like S&B most of the time...Just not when they have to take call after call about who the Sabres should trade for. That is horrible radio.

I have to try Shredd and Ragan I guess. I never listened to them, but hear they are good.........To me, Brad has been the best for many years, both at WECK and the night show on GR.

I like GR, when there is something Bills or Sabres specific going on (ie: a story), but I find the in-between stuff pretty mind numbing. I like Howard Simon okay, but I can't stand his partner...he argues about everything, even when there is nothig to argue about. He definitely seems to fill the role fo the guy who just has to take an unpopular opinion, just for the sake of arguing.

My secret to enjoying GR, is to just listen to the archived stuff...interviews and such. It isn't so bad when you listen that way.

During the football season, I "discovered" the 97Rock pre-game show, which I kind of enjoy.

Edited by Buftex

I wonder if he overslept again.

Riter's show was horrible when he didn't have sports related guests like Deutsch, Graham and Gaughan. Even then he talked too much. Here's a clue: more sports guests and less of you next time around.

Weck's best sports show for at length discussion was the Sports Insiders with Buff News Wilson and McKissic. For some reason it seems the show and/or updated podcasts stopped when Riter took over as PM.

I don't love GR, but at least they have consistent access to the Sabres organization. I'd much rather hear Lindy's or Ted Black's or even Paul Hamilton's perspective than Riter or Mendola's opinions.

I wonder if he overslept again.

Riter's show was horrible when he didn't have sports related guests like Deutsch, Graham and Gaughan. Even then he talked too much. Here's a clue: more sports guests and less of you next time around.

Weck's best sports show for at length discussion was the Sports Insiders with Buff News Wilson and McKissic. For some reason it seems the show and/or updated podcasts stopped when Riter took over as PM.

I don't love GR, but at least they have consistent access to the Sabres organization. I'd much rather hear Lindy's or Ted Black's or even Paul Hamilton's perspective than Riter or Mendola's opinions.

Brad was guilty of a little self-indulgence. His idea of "talking about whatever I feel like" only works if others care.

PTR

Brad was guilty of a little self-indulgence. His idea of "talking about whatever I feel like" only works if others care.

PTR

He always was spot on for me. I think he has a great feel for what people want to hear on any given day.

People on this board want boring every day talk about sports. I can't stand that. Even Mike Schoop, on the Sabres station, says stuff like Yeah, what we really need is to hear one more hockey player get interviewed.

Brad and Tony Kornheiser are my two favorites because they realize that talking to athletes is friggin boring. You know exactly what they're going to say 99% of the time. I want to hear opinions. And, not always on sports. Maybe I want to hear about the guy at Darien Lake, of the recent special election, etc.

Brad had a guy on the other week talking about tech and it was great. I learned a lot about how to improve my life, by cutting down time spent on emails, etc.

Sad to see Brad go. I always liked listening to his show. Although there always seemed to be something preempting it.

I don't know the situation but I'm guessing Riter Radio was not pulling the listeners. He had a high hill to climb. WECK was a total non-factor in Buffalo radio for years. Almost impossible to build a listener base with no signal and no promotion budget, on an AM station no less. It was a noble experiment but in the end it's $ that matters.

PTR

:w00t: Another Kasper fan I see.

Edited by UpperDeck