I Was In Desperate Need of Watching some Bills Football......

sven233

I am going through football withdrawals right now. The off-season is so long......especially this year with all the crap going on. So, I decided to watch my Buffalo Bills in..........

The 1990 AFC Championship Game against the Raiders.......51-3!!!!

This is perhaps the best we have ever felt as Bills fans. Probably the highest point in our storied history. What an amazing team we had. Just dominant. We long for these days now, but I have to say, for the first time in years, I actually am gaining that hope again. I really like the way this team is being put together. Now, we still have a ton of holes to fill, and in some very key places, but I like the direction.

One thing I did notice watching this game again is just how great our fans really are. Granted, the stadium holds about 6,000 less today than it did during this time, but man, we brought it as a fan base. LOUD!!!!! It is a real reminder of why teams HATED to play us here. Unfortunately, those days seem to be a distant memory. Sure, when we go to games today, it is loud at times, but it just isn't like it used to be. Rich Stadium used to shake.....

Of course, that has a lot to do with the team on the field. They haven't given us much to get excited or loud about in the last decade. I just can't wait for the day where we are actually a Playoff team again because I know that when that does happen, we will prove once again why we have the best fans in the NFL. We have supported this team through a decade of disaster. Just imagine what it will be like when we actually start winning again. Winning cures everything.

THIS IS OUR TIME TO TURN THINGS AROUND!!!! LET'S GO BUFFALO!!!!!!

I am going through football withdrawals right now. The off-season is so long......especially this year with all the crap going on. So, I decided to watch my Buffalo Bills in..........

This is perhaps the best we have ever felt as Bills fans. Probably the highest point in our storied history. What an amazing team we had. Just dominant. We long for these days now, but I have to say, for the first time in years, I actually am gaining that hope again. I really like the way this team is being put together. Now, we still have a ton of holes to fill, and in some very key places, but I like the direction.

One thing I did notice watching this game again is just how great our fans really are. Granted, the stadium holds about 6,000 less today than it did during this time, but man, we brought it as a fan base. LOUD!!!!! It is a real reminder of why teams HATED to play us here. Unfortunately, those days seem to be a distant memory. Sure, when we go to games today, it is loud at times, but it just isn't like it used to be. Rich Stadium used to shake.....

Of course, that has a lot to do with the team on the field. They haven't given us much to get excited or loud about in the last decade. I just can't wait for the day where we are actually a Playoff team again because I know that when that does happen, we will prove once again why we have the best fans in the NFL. We have supported this team through a decade of disaster. Just imagine what it will be like when we actually start winning again. Winning cures everything.

That was a great game...I have been watching the 1989 MNF game against the Rams, Reichs first start...his first "miracle"...my sleepy time viewing... :thumbsup:

Fun to go back and watch some of that stuff again. MNF was so much more exciting back in those days.

Sven, good to read a positive post from a fan that's anxious about the season to start up. And yes, there are concrete signs of several things these days to feel better about the team. The Bills the past 10 years have reminded me of a rudderless ship.Just kind of aimlessly moving along from season to season, with no real results at the end to show for anything. Poor front office leadership, including Ralph, that made poor choices in key drafting positions, head coaching choices, and really lacked a good plan in directing the team going forward.

Those Bills from the early 90's had a bunch of team leaders on all three sides of play, offense, defense, special teams. One thing I think the team needs today, is some of that team leadership. I don't see much of that yet. Some guy that gets fired up & walks along the bench and talks to his team mates. One of those high motor guys.

I watched the Pats*/Colts AFC championship game from the 06 season yesterday on ESPN's Greatest NFL Games.

Wasn't old school Bills kickin' a55 but it still provided a slight NFL fix.

Plus watching the Pats* lose an 18 point lead in a championship game is almost as great as watching the Bills smoke people in the glory days.

Almost. :thumbsup:

We were certainly thumping our chests afer that drubbing against the Raiders. Awesome game. My favorite memory of that era was the game against the Jets a couple of seasons earlier(? 1988) when Smerlas blocked a kick attempt and the Bills kicked a field goal to win the AFC east title. Seeing those goalposts come down was awesome.

Edited by Mr. Wonderful

The Raiders whupping is my single favorite game.

Art Shell, had described [his team] the day before as having "probably the best defensive unit we have had in the history of this organization".

Fail. :worthy:

Buffalo's 41 points by halftime were the most in the first half of a playoff game in National Football League history.

To quote the NY Times, "From Buffalo's first offensive play, the Bills used their no-huddle offense, a relentless sense of purpose and some good fortune to take a 41-3 lead after 28 minutes 54 seconds. With Kelly choosing from a limited selection of plays at the line of scrimmage, the no-huddle offense created a heightened pace that limited the ability of Shell and his Raiders coaching staff to make adjustments. A Raiders time out just 1:56 into the game, after Buffalo had made its third first down on its fifth offensive play, did not work."

Edited by Astrobot

i popped in the denver game where they blocked a field goal, then leonard smith on the next possession recovers a fumble, again, the crowd was deafening! loved that game. i believe it was 1990, what a team, loved smith.

Edited by dwight in philly

i popped in the denver game where they blocked a field goal, then leonard smith on the next possession recovers a fumble, again, the crowd was deafening! loved that game. i believe it was 1990, what a team, loved smith.

Yes, 1990, remember it well. First three quarters were miserable, watching Denver run up and down the field.

The following week was another ridiculous comeback vs. the Raiders on Sunday night. I can't remember back-to-back comebacks like that before or since.

Also, I took a different date to each game, and the post-game partying was even better. ;)